The Student Room Group

Quitting first year at one uni, to re-do first year at another

Okay, here's my background - took A-levels, took a gap year, now nearly finished first year at my current (clearing choice) university and also resat a few A-levels to boost my grades during first year of university.

I'm not really very happy at my current university. It's partly my own fault, as I didn't get involved in enough clubs and haven't made many friends. Consequently, I have nobody to live with next year (in terms of private housing). Couple this with the fact that I am only expecting a bare pass this year (even if I manage that), I am obviously open to the notion of reapplying through UCAS to start first year again at a university I originally wished to attend.

I will stay at this current university if I have to, but I am interested in seeing if the universities I applied to last year are in clearing (as they were last year, but I still didn't have the grades to get in - i would do now, due to resits).

I have some questions, and I would appreciate any help provided:

a) How do you reflect this on the UCAS application? Do I have to mention the fact (through the personal statement or the education section) that this year was spent at another university?

b) If I don't mention it, will the universities be suspicious of a big gap? Bear in mind that this will be through clearing and not the usual heavy scrutiny of the normal application process.

c) If I do mention my year at another university, or they find out, will this be a negative thing? Will it imply that I may change my mind with their university after a year? How do I reassure them through my application, if so?

I know it's all a bit messed up, but I have come to the realisation that I still have the chance to be somewhere where I am happy.

Thanks.
Tiberius
a) How do you reflect this on the UCAS application? Do I have to mention the fact (through the personal statement or the education section) that this year was spent at another university?

Yes you have to mention it in the education section, you have no choice in the matter. Its upto you whether you mention it in your PS although obviously they will look for some kind of explanation as to why you're starting again but you don't need to dwell on this factor. Also, I would assume your referee would be from university seeing as you said you left school 2 years ago now.

b) If I don't mention it, will the universities be suspicious of a big gap? Bear in mind that this will be through clearing and not the usual heavy scrutiny of the normal application process.

As I said, you have to mention it.

c) If I do mention my year at another university, or they find out, will this be a negative thing? Will it imply that I may change my mind with their university after a year? How do I reassure them through my application, if so?

Plenty of people change their minds/drop out/restart uni each year - just look at tsr for a prime example of this fact. The university won't really care as long as you can show them that you're ready to do their course/you want to do their course etc. They know people change their choices so don't worry.... just present everything in as positive a manner as possible. Don't dwell on the negatives/why you're leaving your current uni, focus on the positives of what you've gained in this year and what the new course can offer you :smile:

Are you aware that you don't have to go through clearing? If you apply before 30th June you can chose up to 5 places and it will just be classed as late. You don't need to wait until clearing.... if you are at all considering changing in September I would not advise waiting until the summer because places will be very thin on the ground by then and you will only be able to apply to one place at a time, whereas if you do it now its a normal application. Look at Minerva's thread which is a sticky at the top of this page entitled 'applying after 22nd Jan' for more information :smile:
Just to let you know that many people have been saying that it is very unlikely that clearing will happen this year due to the amount of applications. If it does, there will be hardly any courses in it... It would be better to go through UCAS Extra now.
moomin_love
Just to let you know that many people have been saying that it is very unlikely that clearing will happen this year due to the amount of applications. If it does, there will be hardly any courses in it... It would be better to go through UCAS Extra now.

They aren't eligible for Extra as they haven't already applied for 5 places in this UCAS cycle. The OP can just apply as a late applicant and chose upto 5 courses/universities as one would do if they were applying in September as normal. The process is exactly the same. Extra is only for people who didn't get any offers or rejected the ones they did have.... so to be eligible for Extra the OP would first have to be rejected by the 5 universities they apply to in a normal application :smile:
oxymoronic
They aren't eligible for Extra as they haven't already applied for 5 places in this UCAS cycle. The OP can just apply as a late applicant and chose upto 5 courses/universities as one would do if they were applying in September as normal. The process is exactly the same. Extra is only for people who didn't get any offers or rejected the ones they did have.... so to be eligible for Extra the OP would first have to be rejected by the 5 universities they apply to in a normal application :smile:

Ahh fair enough. Then applying as a late applicant is a better choice than waiting to see if there is a clearing this year lol.
moomin_love
Ahh fair enough. Then applying as a late applicant is a better choice than waiting to see if there is a clearing this year lol.

Yep of course :smile: there is zero point in the OP (or anyone else) waiting until after 30th June to apply when if you apply before then as a late applicant there are up to 5 choices available to you :smile: And obviously, the OP is in a much better position than if they were an Extra applicant because then they could only apply to 1 place.
Reply 6
oxymoronic
x

The only thing is that I am still short of one grade the universities usually require; however, I have been advised that they should be much more lenient during Clearing, if they are in it.

I suppose I could try for an unconditional now, but I don't know if it's very likely.

Also, if I did receive an offer now or an offer through Clearing, what happens with my current university? I don't want to quit here if I then am not able to get into the other university.

And, would the new university ask to see my results from my first year at this university? Or would that be unlikely, as it's just applying for first year and not a second year transfer?

Thanks.
Reply 7
Tiberius
Okay, here's my background - took A-levels, took a gap year, now nearly finished first year at my current (clearing choice) university and also resat a few A-levels to boost my grades during first year of university.

I'm not really very happy at my current university. It's partly my own fault, as I didn't get involved in enough clubs and haven't made many friends. Consequently, I have nobody to live with next year (in terms of private housing). Couple this with the fact that I am only expecting a bare pass this year (even if I manage that), I am obviously open to the notion of reapplying through UCAS to start first year again at a university I originally wished to attend.

I will stay at this current university if I have to, but I am interested in seeing if the universities I applied to last year are in clearing (as they were last year, but I still didn't have the grades to get in - i would do now, due to resits).

I have some questions, and I would appreciate any help provided:

I know it's all a bit messed up, but I have come to the realisation that I still have the chance to be somewhere where I am happy.

Thanks.

What uni?
Tiberius
The only thing is that I am still short of one grade the universities usually require; however, I have been advised that they should be much more lenient during Clearing, if they are in it.

I suppose I could try for an unconditional now, but I don't know if it's very likely.

You have nothing to lose by applying now if you are already thinking about it - as I said you will have 5 options open to you so you'd have to pick a mixture of places that are still accepting applications. Laying all of your hopes on clearing would be very very unwise because this year the projection is that there will simply not be places available in clearing. You will not have an easier time getting into somewhere you don't actually have the grades for when ever you apply and if you wait until clearing there will be people who surpass the entry requirements queuing up for places having missed their offers elsewhere. The chance of people being accepted if they miss their offers are slim this year.

What are you applying for, if you don't mind me asking? And your current grades? And where do you want to apply to? As surely there must be other universities which require the grades you presently have? I think you're going to have to be realistic - if you don't have the grades for where you want then chances are you're not going to get in. But given you've got 5 places you may as well put the 1 you're aiming for to see if you get lucky and then have 4 more realistic options.

Also, if I did receive an offer now or an offer through Clearing, what happens with my current university? I don't want to quit here if I then am not able to get into the other university.

Finish first year at your present university and reapply whilst you're doing this... providing you apply by 30th June you will have all of your offers back by 20th July at the latest. Then with your current university, once you've decided what to do you need to inform them that you won't be coming back in September. I'm not sure what the deal is with student finance, so I would speak to your current university and ask them what the final date is for you having to confirm whether you will be returning to study. At Edinburgh (my university) the date is in freshers week but I don't know if this the case everywhere. You need to do this to ensure that they won't try and charge for for the 2nd year of fees.... I believe in first year you can drop out 3 weeks into term and not pay anything, but after this you have to pay a portion, but I don't know the situation for later years.

And, would the new university ask to see my results from my first year at this university? Or would that be unlikely, as it's just applying for first year and not a second year transfer?

I assume you are applying for the same course you currently do, just elsewhere? If so, they may well ask to see your grades. Additionally, it might be worth you including your grades on the UCAS form because if you are a grade short the fact you've already done 1st year of the course might just swing it in your favour. I know you said that the grades aren't very good, but you've got a wee while to go yet before summer exams so that might change (depending on your circumstances) if you put your mind to it :smile: Alternatively, you can ask your referee to include specific marks from units where you've done well in your reference as obviously your final first year marks aren't finalised yet so you can technically leave it as pending on the UCAS form. But if you have grades which will interest them, let them know :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending