The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You'd have a shot at all of them I think. Not sure but I don't think Oxbridge care much about volunteering etc.
Reply 2
Ex0
OP
really?? even without further maths?
Ex0
Academia:

GCSEs: 4A* 4A 2 B (A in maths :s-smilie: )
A2 predictions: A*AA- AAB

Maths/Economics/Chemistry/Geography

Warwick/Oxford/Southampton/Birmingham/Sheffield/Nottingham/Bath/ Exeter/ Durham

Well rounded ECs but not work experience

Which of the aforementioned universities do you think i have a shot at and would you suggest any others instead??

thanks

yes very realistic!
Reply 4
You should really be aiming for bath/bristol/durham/edinburgh/nottingham/st andrews if u get above AAA at AS level. They dont really care that much about further maths, Im a first year at bath and even though a lot of people did further maths quite a lot of people(like me) didn't. You can have a few really top choices e.g warwick or oxbridge (i would suggest oxford or cam as they dont look so heavily on your GCSEs). However dont expect an offer from your top choices or even the unis I mentioned at the start as they select exclusively from people who have got >AAA plus your GCSEs are not outstanding.

Therefore you should have a safety uni such as Southampton/York/Bham/Exeter(if you are confident on 3As).

On the A in maths GCSE bath specifically ask for an A* in maths GCSE but I know people who only had and A in GCSE. An added note durham seem to want >5A*s in GCSE if your school doesnt have a multiplier so i would advise you check what your schools status is on that.
Reply 5
The question is, how would you feel if you had four rejections and only one offer? If you couldn't care less, I'd opt for four top universities and one safety.
Reply 6
ditto above.

maybe go for 2 out of Oxford, Warwick, Durham (i.e. 1 out of the latter two) and then 3 'lesser' ones, including one safety.

Oh, but do check out Paulwhy's TAELT even if it may not be up to date, it will still be very relevant.
Reply 7
il answer this tomorrow for various reasons but i think that it depends heavily on where yur AS/A2 ends up; A*AA is a bit different to AAB. il answet tomorrow when i can think;

so *watches thread*

Latest

Trending

Trending