The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
OrmondDrone
Yeah whatever :rolleyes:

wow, really well thought out reply there
Reply 21
IndiePixie
I think admissions tutors like to see that you have some sense of society in the UK outside of your own family and community. Many medical school applicants have come from quite sheltered family backgrounds and it helps to show that you have some understanding of social problems and how they can influence health. I'd recommend people look at volunteering opportunities in the UK with homeless people, and also with drug / alcohol outreach services. Working with people with communication difficulties can also be helpful; I did this and it went down well at interview.

I agree that UK experience is very important; this is after all the society you will be training in and hopefully working in after qualification. Going overseas for a couple of weeks can be interesting and illuminating, and can serve as a contrast, but shouldn't take the place of UK experience and certainly isn't necessary for a strong application.

Im looking for some advice on whether i should take a gap year, and if i could benefit from it in a non educational way, such as becoming more mature.

If i may ask, what did you get up to in your gap year IndiePixie ?
.Rapid.
Im looking for some advice on whether i should take a gap year, and if i could benefit from it in a non educational way, such as becoming more mature.

If i may ask, what did you get up to in your gap year IndiePixie ?

Hi, I worked as an HCA on an acute stroke ward. The work was hard but very rewarding. It gave me lots to talk about at interview - multidisciplinary teamwork, working with patients with communication difficulties, importance of nutrition / feeding issues. carer support etc. I also volunteered once a week with a charity that provides hot breakfasts for rough sleepers in the city.
saab_101
BS, it definitely helped mine this year. It depends on what you do though - i volunteered in ghana for a couple of weeks, it was actually pretty hard work, but also the most amazing experience ever :biggrin:

OrmondDrone
Yeah whatever

saab_101
wow, really well thought out reply there

It's as well thought out as your post. You are in cloud cuckoo land if you think 'a couple of weeks' volunteering in Ghana made much or any difference to your application, or to the people of Ghana :rolleyes:

As a reapplicant the biggest boost to your application would be that you had your A-level grades in hand. Depending on your year 12 performance, your predicted A2 results and reference may not have been as strong as the medical schools want.

For example, for year 13 applicants who didn't get AAA or AAB at AS level and are having to resit modules, the referees have two choices (a) don't mention module resits or the AS results and make A2 predictions that are unsupported by any evidence, or (b) mention resits and the AS results and try and put a positive spin on them when predicting A2 performance. For students in this situation, gap year applications are often far more successful than year 13 applications simply because their academic referee can confidently talk about actual grades.
Reply 24
IndiePixie
Hi, I worked as an HCA on an acute stroke ward. The work was hard but very rewarding. It gave me lots to talk about at interview - multidisciplinary teamwork, working with patients with communication difficulties, importance of nutrition / feeding issues. carer support etc. I also volunteered once a week with a charity that provides hot breakfasts for rough sleepers in the city.

Thanks for that insightful response IndiePixie,
I was also wondering what the difficulty will be like in trying to attain a post as a HCA ? How did you go about doing it ?

Nice work in your gap year by the way, sounds brilliant.
Reply 25
OrmondDrone
It's as well thought out as your post. You are in cloud cuckoo land if you think 'a couple of weeks' volunteering in Ghana made much or any difference to your application, or to the people of Ghana :rolleyes:

As a reapplicant the biggest boost to your application would be that you had your A-level grades in hand. Depending on your year 12 performance, your predicted A2 results and reference may not have been as strong as the medical schools want.

For example, for year 13 applicants who didn't get AAA or AAB at AS level and are having to resit modules, the referees have two choices (a) don't mention module resits or the AS results and make A2 predictions that are unsupported by any evidence, or (b) mention resits and the AS results and try and put a positive spin on them when predicting A2 performance. For students in this situation, gap year applications are often far more successful than year 13 applications simply because their academic referee can confidently talk about actual grades.

Seriously, what is your problem? When I spoke to the admissions guy who was on of my 3 interviewers for Manchester, he mentioned that he was impressed with the way I related my experiences in Ghana to medicine, so I'm pretty sure that it did make a difference to my application this year :rolleyes:

I never claimed that it made more of a difference than actually having my grades this time around, so don't know where the hell you got that from mate. All I'm saying is that for gap year students work experience abroad is a really good option. I'm not suggesting that without it peoples applications will be considerably weaker, or that it should substitute getting work experience in the UK, but it definitely made a difference with my application this year. It does depend on what you do abroad as well, and how you write/ talk about it.

And whilst we may not have made a significant difference to the people of Ghana, we have started up a new charity, built a new school in the vicinity of lake volta, and we're continuing to raise money and start up new projects. So maybe not a significant difference, but at least we're trying.

Also, cloud cuckoo land? that's a very, erm, odd phrase to be using.:eyeball:

Like I said, it's a great option for gap year applicants. You've got 12 months of free time before you (hopefully) start medicine. Get some good work experience in the UK, long term charity/ voluntary is the best imo since it shows commitment to a cause, or a job in some sort of caring capacity, but why not get some work experience abroad? Make the most of your free time and improve your application, if only slightly?
Reply 26
saab_101
When I spoke to the admissions guy who was on of my 3 interviewers for Manchester, he mentioned that he was impressed with the way I related my experiences in Ghana to medicine

What admissions guy and at what stage did you speak to him? I'm at Manchester and I've never heard anyone speak positively about these schemes. I'd be very interested to know who this is.

It's also very unusual for candidates to get such specific feedback after interview. You wouldn't get such feedback on the day. Unsuccessful candidates usually just get some bland statement sent by post / e-mail if they request feedback and I've never heard of a successful candidate requesting feedback.
saab_101
Seriously, what is your problem?

Given the cost of these programmes, I think people should be realistic about the limited value it adds to applications. If they are monied, then fine but I would hate for anybody to think that they need to fund this sort of ego trip in order to make a successful application to medical school.

saab_101
When I spoke to the admissions guy who was on of my 3 interviewers for Manchester, he mentioned that he was impressed with the way I related my experiences in Ghana to medicine, so I'm pretty sure that it did make a difference to my application this year :rolleyes:

This doesn't seem very plausible. Hasn't Manchester moved to the 3 or 4 minute OSCE style interview stations after a group exercise? At what point were you given this feedback?

saab_101
And whilst we may not have made a significant difference to the people of Ghana, we have started up a new charity, built a new school in the vicinity of lake volta.

All in two weeks. I am impressed :rolleyes: How much of this can you personally claim credit for?

saab_101
I was only there for 2 weeks and I went up to mole national park (15 hour drive!), lake volta (was only around the corner anyway, although I wasn't teaching down there), kumasi and rainbow lodge at lake bosemtwe. In the summer you only teach from about 9-12, so you have the rest of the day and weekends free. The volunteers have always got trips and stuff organised for the weekends too, so tehre's always something to do :yep:

saab_101
i volunteered in ghana for a couple of weeks, it was actually pretty hard work, but also the most amazing experience ever :biggrin:

If you think that was 'pretty hard work' you are in for a shock when you start medical school.
Reply 28
JCM89
What admissions guy and at what stage did you speak to him? I'm at Manchester and I've never heard anyone speak positively about these schemes. I'd be very interested to know who this is.

It's also very unusual for candidates to get such specific feedback after interview. You wouldn't get such feedback on the day. Unsuccessful candidates usually just get some bland statement sent by post / e-mail if they request feedback and I've never heard of a successful candidate requesting feedback.

I may have exaggerated it slightly due to my irritation :o: He just mentioned afterwards that it was impressive that I could link my experiences in Ghana to medicine. No idea if he was supposed to say stuff like that or not, but then the whole interview process at Manchester was very laid back. Erm, he was ginger, and a little eccentric? Turned up in jeans and a creased shirt and kept cracking jokes. No idea what his name was though.
Reply 29
OrmondDrone
Given the cost of these programmes, I think people should be realistic about the limited value it adds to applications. If they are monied, then fine but I would hate for anybody to think that they need to fund this sort of ego trip in order to make a successful application to medical school.

This doesn't seem very plausible. Hasn't Manchester moved to the 3 or 4 minute OSCE style interview stations after a group exercise? At what point were you given this feedback?

All in two weeks. I am impressed :rolleyes: How much of this can you personally claim credit for?

If you think that was 'pretty hard work' you are in for a shock when you start medical school.

I actually agree with you about the money issue, but I still think that if someone's going to go travelling on their gap year anyway, there's no harm in them doing it as some sort of voluntary work. But I didn't pay much at all for mine, literally just paid for accommodation, we fed ourselves out there which wasn't a problem; food was cheap as hell and a lot of the time locals would insist on cooking for us :smile:

And no, not all in 2 weeks. But since coming back one of the other volunteers has started up a charity called T.E.A.Ch, time to educate Africa's children, and we've been raising money and organising the construction of schools out there. I was hoping to go back this summer but can't afford it due to uni fast approaching and my need to finance it by myself. And no, I can't personally claim credit for all of it, but I've been involved in the process the whole while and it's something that I do want to keep up and become more involved in, although I'm not sure how possible that will be.

It was hard work, but not in an academic way. We were expected to overcome the language barrier and teach large classes of children ranging from age 5 to classes of 18 and 19 year olds. We had to come up with our own lesson plans, find our own way around (although we were supported by the volunteer organisation to some extent obviously). There was never a quiet moment. But the whole idea of my trip was that we were left to our own devices so that we can fully experience the culture of Ghana. 2 weeks wasn't anywhere near long enough for me :frown: I'm not quite sure why you're being so rude/ condescending about this whole thing tbh :dontknow:
Reply 30
Take it easy guys, dont burn him for his experience.

Lets leave it at this :

1)if you have the money to 'Burn' and free time, then go on this trip for some small educational benefit and lots of fun

2)If you dont have money to 'Burn' but free time, then take a job as a HCA etc, get lots of 'educational' benefits, but not much fun ( You are rewarded in other ways, satisfaction)

Tbh, at the end of the day Saab, the excitement and fun aspect of the trip was a major component in deciding whether to go or not. But if you had the chance to go, then brilliant.
Reply 31
.Rapid.
Take it easy guys, dont burn him for his experience.

Lets leave it at this :

1)if you have the money to 'Burn' and free time, then go on this trip for some small educational benefit and lots of fun

2)If you dont have money to 'Burn' but free time, then take a job as a HCA etc, get lots of 'educational' benefits, but not much fun ( You are rewarded in other ways, satisfaction)

Tbh, at the end of the day Saab, the excitement and fun aspect of the trip was a major component in deciding whether to go or not. But if you had the chance to go, then brilliant.

Never denied that it was a fun trip lol. I'm just disputing the claim that work experience abroad is useless on a medical application. Plus not always easy to get a HCA job. And for the record, defintitely didn't "burn" any money on the trip, it really wasn't expensive, I funded it using my left over EMA money mostly.
Reply 32
If at the end of the day you had fun, and learnt some valuable lessons, then thats all that anyone can ask from you. :smile:
I went last year and as for the person who says 'rip off dont do it' they obvs havnt been. it was worth every penny and tbh for what you get its not that expensive. your house, food, travel etc is all covered and you get put in a real hospital and a real dept with a real doctor and you stick with them and get mentored. i made so many friends were actually all having a reunion in a month and im going again this summer before I start uni. its nothing to do with having rich parents as i paid for it all myself but i spoke to one of the girls in their office and she said that for every person you get to go aswell you get £100 off your placement :smile: buzzzzz. hope to see you all there! x
A previous comment was that someone started banking as a nurse at the age of 17.
Do you have to have nursing qualifications to do this as i wouldn't imagine one could have gained qualifications by this age?
I need to start getting experience to support my application to Med school and i think this would be a great way to start, if it is indeed possible.
Let me know,
Thanks.
People who are going and been to Tanzania what vaccines did you all do??? Also is the area we are going to a Rural area? i'vebeen told i need hep A and B, yellow fever, rabies and typhoid.. can't think of any more right now.

I think we are going to it's kind of a small town?

anyways please get back to me :smile:
umm, to the above poster, it that sonia form school in surrey? its meena??? if so what a coincedince!!! i wana go on a gap yr too! defo let me know!
Reply 37
Original post by sonia-delarusa.s
People who are going and been to Tanzania what vaccines did you all do??? Also is the area we are going to a Rural area? i'vebeen told i need hep A and B, yellow fever, rabies and typhoid.. can't think of any more right now.

I think we are going to it's kind of a small town?

anyways please get back to me :smile:

Heyy I'm thinking of going to Tanzania as well!! I haven't paid my deposit yet cos I'm not sure what dates to go and how long to stay - need to discuss with my parents as well :tongue: When are you thinking of going?? Haha would be cool if we bumped into each other there :smile:

Also if there IS anyone who has been to Tanzania it would be great if you could answer those questions that I just quoted :biggrin: plus what's the accomo and food like? How long did you stay for, roughly how much extra money did you take and where did you mostly use it on? Oh and what did you do in the free time you were given i.e. afternoons and weekends? THANK YOU xD
Reply 38

Firstly I just want to address the people that have disgregarded the value of work experience abroad. You gain such an important life experience from these placements. Its not the fact that you are "changing someone's life" because you don't expect to have that effect on someone's life at our age, but it gives you an understanding of medicine in a different culture and will open your eyes to different social situations (which, if i remember rightly, is one of the checkpoints for a Personal Statment at Leeds).

For the people that want any information about Tanzania with Gap Medics i'm more than happy to give you any information you need about vaccinations, what the area is like, what the hospitals are like, where to go at night, what to do in the weekends and anything else you want to know :smile:

Also, it's not a rip off - you get what you pay for, an amazing experience.

(Also i'm not one of the people that has "daddy pay for everything". I knew that this experience would help to shape me as a person and could help my application to Medical School therefore I decided to fundraise the money to go to Tanzania by myself).
Original post by christi4x
Heyy I'm thinking of going to Tanzania as well!! I haven't paid my deposit yet cos I'm not sure what dates to go and how long to stay - need to discuss with my parents as well :tongue: When are you thinking of going?? Haha would be cool if we bumped into each other there :smile:

Also if there IS anyone who has been to Tanzania it would be great if you could answer those questions that I just quoted :biggrin: plus what's the accomo and food like? How long did you stay for, roughly how much extra money did you take and where did you mostly use it on? Oh and what did you do in the free time you were given i.e. afternoons and weekends? THANK YOU xD

Hi, I can't answer all of your qu's as I haven't been myself, but a close friend did go. If you go to the same place as her (I imagine you will do) it's quite rural but all your accommodation and stuff is on site. I'd get all the vaccines you're told to get, and in your free time you can go on safari and do other activities in the area.

Latest

Trending

Trending