The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
matthew93
I hope the close reading pasages are on sport so most geeks hate it & can't do it, but i'm ploughing my way through it (metaphor), hence lowering the grade goundaries:p:

I can dream, non?:rolleyes:

yeah a close reading on tennis would be my coup of tea, I am just really nervous about the critical essay - I really hope the question are right for my text
stefany-a
yeah a close reading on tennis would be my coup of tea, I am just really nervous about the critical essay - I really hope the question are right for my text

Passage 1; Andy Murray, will he ever win a major?
Passage 2; The Inspirational Andy Murray

I AGREE WITH PASSAGE 1 :wink:

Yeah Key Scene better come up for Drama or i'm screwed :eek3:
matthew93

Afaik key scene has came up everyyy year, you're pretty much covered with key scene!
Reply 43
matthew93
Passage 1; Andy Murray, will he ever win a major?
Passage 2; The Inspirational Andy Murray

I AGREE WITH PASSAGE 1 :wink:

Andy Murray is a legend :love:
I might start weeping if the question don't fit my texts
Only issue can be the way key scene is asked, now I think about it. I'ma doing Hamlet, dunno if you've done it, but there's quite a few key scenes. And I've definitely done a question before about how a key scene causes a turnaround in a character or something. Some people only learned one key scene (the prayer scene, if you know the text) which doesn't actually cause you're opinion to change of the character, just shows him doing what he was doing previously. The next scene shows him change his attitude and what not, so doing that one was obviously more approriate. Basically, make sure you've got more than one key scene if possible, one that shows a turnaround maybe? In Hamlet, both are kinda needed because the first is perfect for an important mistake. Blahhh, I'm rambling, apologies, but yeah, key scene always comes up, I'll be majorly raging if it doesn't this year!
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Only issue can be the way key scene is asked, now I think about it. I'ma doing Hamlet, dunno if you've done it, but there's quite a few key scenes. And I've definitely done a question before about how a key scene causes a turnaround in a character or something. Some people only learned one key scene (the prayer scene, if you know the text) which doesn't actually cause you're opinion to change of the character, just shows him doing what he was doing previously. The next scene shows him change his attitude and what not, so doing that one was obviously more approriate. Basically, make sure you've got more than one key scene if possible, one that shows a turnaround maybe? In Hamlet, both are kinda needed because the first is perfect for an important mistake. Blahhh, I'm rambling, apologies, but yeah, key scene always comes up, I'll be majorly raging if it doesn't this year!

I'm an Othello-er, which is a scene with turning point / scene of intense emotion / scene of cruelty / scene of conflict ...etc
stefany-a
Andy Murray is a legend :love:
I might start weeping if the question don't fit my texts

If mines don't fit i'll write about The Hungry Caterpillar for Prose and Austin Powers for Language, so i'll be fine. :o:
matthew93
I'm an Othello-er, which is a scene with turning point / scene of intense emotion / scene of cruelty / scene of conflict ...etc

Ahhh seems like you're well covered on all fronts then, I wouldn't worry at all about getting a good drama question, apparently you can't really be stuck with Shakespeare!
Reply 48
matthew93
If mines don't fit i'll write about The Hungry Caterpillar for Prose and Austin Powers for Language, so i'll be fine. :o:

I'm going to sob quietly for 5 minutes and then write out the lyrics to bad romance if no questions come up. :]
LuhLah
I'm going to sob quietly for 5 minutes and then write out the lyrics to bad romance if no questions come up. :]

If that doesn't get you an A I don't know what will! Ahhh don't worry, honestly, look through the past couple of years past papers, ever been a year you had absolutely no options for more than one of your sections? I doubt it, you'll be fine!
Reply 50
MySweetheartTheDrunk
If that doesn't get you an A I don't know what will! Ahhh don't worry, honestly, look through the past couple of years past papers, ever been a year you had absolutely no options for more than one of your sections? I doubt it, you'll be fine!

I know, I'm not worried, I was just making a joke lol :p:
feeling slightly better after reading 56% for a B....
LuhLah
I know, I'm not worried, I was just making a joke lol :p:

Good good, yay for the english positivity! I'm actually rather looking forwards to wednesday!
I am looking forward to it sort of but I'm also nervous.
amitycaughtstars
Anybody have any idea how many actual marks are needed to get a B?

Also, what are the chances of achieving this with one essay?

So, so stressed, didn't prepare myself for this properly at all :frown:((

In the last few years the A grade cut off has been 65 so i assume B would be 55 if they carry on like that :/ but for most other subjects it is 60. Good luck!! :smile:
Christ, I was you a whole year ago. :s-smilie: I lived in the library for a week beforehand, lol. :o:

I didn't sleep the night before and thought I'd screwed up but I got an A! And loads of you will too. :yep: If you do the preparation for it, you can't really go wrong (and there's still time to do lots. :smile:)

I'll be in the hall doing AH English with all the Highers. I'll feel the tension in the room. :p:

Don't worry y'all! :hugs: Get some air! Chillax. The relief after the exam is so amazing. :biggrin:
Reply 56
After 12 years of bs'ing my way through essays, in five days I'll NEVER have to do another. I'm still planning on burning the novel and leaving it on our teacher's desk.
Four more days, four more days, four more days, four more days.....

Four more days and I never have to write about how writers show anything ever ever ever again

Oh Lord, please let it go well :frown:
Reply 58
Lol, I just did the first half of the 2006 paper and I've realised that my analysis is strange. Does anyone else improvise when it comes to the big A? :awesome:
LuhLah
Lol, I just did the first half of the 2006 paper and I've realised that my analysis is strange. Does anyone else improvise when it comes to the big A? :awesome:

I still don't get what we're actually meant to do with analysis questions :s-smilie: I also improvise and just write random stuff which sometimes gets marks and sometimes doesn't. And the marking keys don't make sense to me either.

I write stuff like "sinister word choice shows the writers distaste for X" and I get comments like "show how this word choice shows distaste" and I don't have a clue how you do that.

Latest

Trending

Trending