The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Blu3j4yw4y
I still don't get what we're actually meant to do with analysis questions :s-smilie: I also improvise and just write random stuff which sometimes gets marks and sometimes doesn't. And the marking keys don't make sense to me either.

I write stuff like "sinister word choice shows the writers distaste for X" and I get comments like "show how this word choice shows distaste" and I don't have a clue how you do that.

I normally just say what connotations the word/s hold...
Reply 61
Blu3j4yw4y
I still don't get what we're actually meant to do with analysis questions :s-smilie: I also improvise and just write random stuff which sometimes gets marks and sometimes doesn't. And the marking keys don't make sense to me either.

I write stuff like "sinister word choice shows the writers distaste for X" and I get comments like "show how this word choice shows distaste" and I don't have a clue how you do that.

Omg same. I always end up putting random things (i.e. become a human thesaraus) down and make them relate to the question, even though I never know why word choice/imagery/whatever relates to the argument.

I'm never going to take two boring articles and rip them to bits...ahhh this exam is so pointless in the grand scheme of things lol.
Reply 62
Also, I ******* hate tone.
Reply 63
Fingers crossed for LOADS of understanding questions.
LuhLah
Omg same. I always end up putting random things (i.e. become a human thesaraus) down and make them relate to the question, even though I never know why word choice/imagery/whatever relates to the argument.

I'm never going to take two boring articles and rip them to bits...ahhh this exam is so pointless in the grand scheme of things lol.

Yeah I just ramble on about anything that I think is sorta relevant to the bit the question's asking about but I don't really get what I'm aiming to do.

Especially alliteration. The teacher always says stuff like "repetition of 'l' emphasises the caring relationship" ...eh, what?

Gah I know :frown: It's so frustrating because you get the passage, get everything the passage is saying but don't get what the examiner is looking for :/
CT_Scan
Fingers crossed for LOADS of understanding questions.

Agreed!
I've never been more terrified in my life! I reaaaalllly want an A 'cause I've picked AH. Anyone else sh!tting it for the essays? I'm worried totally obscure questions will come up and I'll just have stifle my crying :|
LuhLah
I'm going to sob quietly for 5 minutes and then write out the lyrics to bad romance if no questions come up. :]

Haha this made me laugh so much! :woo: Imagine if you wrote out BR for one essay, then Paparazzi for the other, and you got like 25 for one and 23 for the other, only because the examiner doesn't quite like Paparazzi as much...!

OMG Wednesday. Imagine what it's gonna be like when it's all over! :woo:

We were all having a discussion in class, basically saying that your whole English career throughout the whole of Primary (with Nelson Spelling, Grammar and Handwriting - anyone remember those?!) and Secondary comes down to Wednesday. I wanted to dive off a cliff after that!! :o:

I do think it will go better than people think it will. Just think, on Wednesday at 12:35pm you can run out of the hall and torch everything to do with Higher English! :woo: Unless you have to do it again... :eek:
Reply 68
cool_side_of_the_pillow
I've never been more terrified in my life! I reaaaalllly want an A 'cause I've picked AH. Anyone else sh!tting it for the essays? I'm worried totally obscure questions will come up and I'll just have stifle my crying :|

You'll be fine. :hugs:
Reply 69
EnsnareTheSenses
Haha this made me laugh so much! :woo: Imagine if you wrote out BR for one essay, then Paparazzi for the other, and you got like 25 for one and 23 for the other, only because the examiner doesn't quite like Paparazzi as much...!

OMG Wednesday. Imagine what it's gonna be like when it's all over! :woo:

We were all having a discussion in class, basically saying that your whole English career throughout the whole of Primary (with Nelson Spelling, Grammar and Handwriting - anyone remember those?!) and Secondary comes down to Wednesday. I wanted to dive off a cliff after that!! :o:

I do think it will go better than people think it will. Just think, on Wednesday at 12:35pm you can run out of the hall and torch everything to do with Higher English! :woo: Unless you have to do it again... :eek:

OMG NELSON GRAMMAR :colone:EK3: Biff chip and kipper, remember those? Ticking tess haha :woo:

It's so weird how it all boils down to this exam, eh? After this, english free...forever :biggrin:

And for the record, I'd write out poker face second, that has more themes and ****.
I started crash revising this weekend. I am so f*****... :woo: I can't wait til its all over though... PARTY!

What texts did everyone study? We did ''The Cone Gatherers'' for prose, but theres so much to write about its impossible to stay on track. We also did 'Much Ado About Nothing' and various poetry.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! :grouphugs:
LuhLah
You'll be fine. :hugs:

Thanks :smile: I keep repeating that over and over, maybe soon it'll calm me down!
Reply 72
I am really badly still not ready for english , II have 6 close reading pastpapers to do, learn notes, quote on my two poems and I might read lord of the flies again. AHH
LuhLah
OMG NELSON GRAMMAR :colone:EK3: Biff chip and kipper, remember those? Ticking tess haha :woo:

It's so weird how it all boils down to this exam, eh? After this, english free...forever :biggrin:

And for the record, I'd write out poker face second, that has more themes and ****.

Ah, Poker Face of course. I'd love to see the marker's face trying to figure out the lyrics of that...! :p:

Ahhh, I've still got so many aspects of my novel to try and address, and so little time!!! :O I've written loads of essays over the past two weeks, so between now and the exam I'm just going to lock myself away and try and absorb... :eek3:

Although can you believe that I've still got to go to school tomorrow?! Yeah, our study leave doesn't start until Tuesday 11th, ONE DAY beofore the English exam - logical thinking there... :mad:

Still, I did hear of one school not being allowed off until the 17th, which kinda defeats the purpose of study leave a little, since quite a few people will already have sat exams by that point, without time off to study...!
Reply 74
I am SCREWED for Higher English! I failed the prelim and have been avoiding revising my texts until now because I knew I was bad at it. I wish wish Wednesday would never come! :frown:
Reply 75
EnsnareTheSenses
Ah, Poker Face of course. I'd love to see the marker's face trying to figure out the lyrics of that...! :p:

Ahhh, I've still got so many aspects of my novel to try and address, and so little time!!! :O I've written loads of essays over the past two weeks, so between now and the exam I'm just going to lock myself away and try and absorb... :eek3:

Although can you believe that I've still got to go to school tomorrow?! Yeah, our study leave doesn't start until Tuesday 11th, ONE DAY beofore the English exam - logical thinking there... :mad:

Still, I did hear of one school not being allowed off until the 17th, which kinda defeats the purpose of study leave a little, since quite a few people will already have sat exams by that point, without time off to study...!

We don't get study leave at all :frown: (I'm at college) :nothing: I am, however, going to ask for tuesday off :biggrin:

Same, expect with my play and a poem. I have like 10 texts but I'm only going to study four lol.
I'm worried because I feel pretty confident about my texts. I know all the quotes, analysis and paragraph order now I just have to wait on the appropriate questions coming up but I've never been this prepared for an exam :|
Reply 77
LuhLah
We don't get study leave at all :frown: (I'm at college) :nothing: I am, however, going to ask for tuesday off :biggrin:

Same, expect with my play and a poem. I have like 10 texts but I'm only going to study four lol.

so do you have to still go in after your english exam ? sounds quite harsh
Reply 78
stefany-a
so do you have to still go in after your english exam ? sounds quite harsh

Yeah but my classes are split up into 3 hour and 2 hour blocks, my 3 hour is on monday morning and my 2 hour block is on wednesday midmorning/afternoon, so I'll be getting monday morning off and I'll only need to go in for 2 hours on wednesday for chem after the exam :biggrin:

After maths and human b, I'll only need to go in for two days lol.
Hi there, first post so a big hello to everyone:smile:

I'm just wondering, what are the chances of a key scene question coming up for drama? We've done Othello, and I would literally die with happiness if that happens to pop up. Knowing my luck it probably won't though :frown:

I really want an A more than anything for English. It's my best subject as well as my favourite, and I'm looking to atone (too strong a word, but that's how it felt:P) for getting a 2 last year at Standard Grade when I desperately wanted a 1. Its been a source of much anger :P, I can assure you, and so I'm dead set on wanting that A.

If only the right questions come up... :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending