Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Accommendation???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
they'd better not have rubbed that off. if they have im bringing it back. with a vengeance.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Who's Phil Babb?!?!??!
Reply 83
Challenge accepted!
Reply 84
Matt B
i spent a fair few nights in one in my first year, and i doubt they've changed much...
relatively large rooms, nice enough furniture. one desk, the one i saw was stuck onto the wall, with a shelf built into the corner of the room. the bathroom is en-suite, and has a toilet and a shower. the shower doesnt have a cubicle or anything, just a shower head and a plughole - like a wet room. so you can't leave it running for too long, otherwise it floods your room. and the rooms are kinda dark, cos the windows are small. thats all i can remember, and that was 2-3 years ago. they are nice rooms, im sure you'll like them!

thanks, :smile: the showers sounds hmm interesting :hmmmm:
and silver badger cool sunset!
Does anybody know anything about holly cross???

Thats where i'll be staying, and im so eager to know anything about it...the name sounds cool! :smile:

Does anyone know if keele will allow me to downlaod msn onto my laptop using hallsnet???

Edit: that sunset pic makes me envious of u lindsay people :frown:
Can't you download msn on to it now and then you can use it at uni? Or does that now work? I have no clue...
Msn works fine on hallsnet.
The only thing you want to be wary of is the amount of films/music you download. They have a look at the amount you've downloaded and if it's taking the piss they'll ban you for a day. If you reoffend they'll ban you for a week, and if again then forever
I can't remember what the limit is, but it's easy to lose track because the server's super fast.
Additionally, halls are ALWAYS short of loo roll. So keep a spare in your room for the cleaner-less weekends.
Rach
xxx
Do we need to bring a phone line for the net? And one of those extension thingies with extra sockets?
Matt will know the answer to this. All the wires look the same to me. But you can buy the cables you need from the library. And they were green lastyear. Awesome.
Additionally, it helps if you have a computerised brain on you. Setting it up baffled me.
Rach
xxx
Lol, ok thanks!

Hmm.. unfortunately I lack the computerised brain, I'm very technologically-challenged!
Reply 91
the internet works through an ethernet port in the wall. for the less technically minded, this means a cable that looks like a phone cable, but is fatter and has a bigger plug. here is a useful diagram to cement the fact they are not the same in your mind:

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/network/ntresnet/rj45.jpg

right, so to use the net, it is a good idea to make sure you have a network card in your pc. nearly all the new computers (ie bought in the last 2-3 years) have one already in. an easy way to check in windows xp is to look in 'network connections' and see if you have something called 'Local Area Connection' or similar in there. if you do, you have no need to buy a card.

as for the ethernet cables, you can buy them from the library, as rach says, but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere (ie...on the net: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/ is where i got mine in 2nd year)

also, remember that the halls internet is fast, but restricted. there is no p2p filesharing, downloading of music, massive file transfers, or anything like that. so basically its msn and the web. which is a bit gash, but hey.
However, soulseek and kazaa have both worked fine for me in my 2 years in halls.
Rach
xxx
Thank you!!

It's as clear as mud to me! Oh, I'll get my brother to do it when we get there.

Thanks again.
Reply 94
Silverbadger
However, soulseek and kazaa have both worked fine for me in my 2 years in halls.
Rach
xxx

oh yeah, soulseek connects but the search function is aids. and kazaa connects but then you get kicked off if they notice. those are the two exceptions i think. i think some lucky souls got limewire working, but these are all rubbish networks.
Reply 95
Matt B
oh yeah, soulseek connects but the search function is aids. and kazaa connects but then you get kicked off if they notice. those are the two exceptions i think. i think some lucky souls got limewire working, but these are all rubbish networks.

and there's no possibility of slipping a twenty into one of their pockets and getting a more 'lenient' service? :smile:
Reply 96
denied. hallsnet are moody *****. they wont open ports for nobody.
Reply 97
Matt B
denied. hallsnet are moody *****. they wont open ports for nobody.

In all seriousness though, a connection that you pay a monthly fee for isn't a completely ludicrous idea (at least in my opinion). I'm sure a fair number would subscribe and it would mean less work for the monitors!

It would still have to be limited obviously, but in a way that more closely matches the ISP's that some of us might have grown used to :smile:
Reply 98
Stimpej
Even with your student loan? You won't be debited for your accomodation until October 1st, you recieve your first loan payment on September 26th.

just noticed ...

i thought the first payment, by direct debit, goes through on the 30th sept?
Reply 99
Squidge
just noticed ...

i thought the first payment, by direct debit, goes through on the 30th sept?

Well, whenever then :smile: But the rent comes out after people get their loan money through, otherwise you'd have a lot of distraught people walking about for a day or two pretending they're from a third world nation

Latest