The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have loads of Malaysian friends here... as well as friends from China, Sudan, Nigeria, Germany, S. Africa, Canada, S. Arabia, and probably lots of other places I can't think of at the moment.

In my opinion, race is only a problem if you make it one.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
good employment prospects
high up in league tables
good social life
good teaching etc
Reply 82
vavavoom
Hee hee! Your the best .NK :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Reply 83
.NK
:biggrin:

Ironically I just noticed that I spelt 'your' (you're) wrong too!! :P
Reply 84
lilsunflower
OH lordy. Please someone tell me he's joking! I'm Asian ... and don't want to be cut up. Someone tell me..

He's Joking!

I'm black myself and i can tell you no one's cutting anyone up. Finished my 4 yr degree from Nottingham in September and i had an incredibly smashing time. Oh boy, was it excellent. There's a divery diverse mix of people in Nottingham and everyone gets on with everyone else.
Reply 85
longtin
He's Joking!

I'm black myself and i can tell you no one's cutting anyone up. Finished my 4 yr degree from Nottingham in September and i had an incredibly smashing time. Oh boy, was it excellent. There's a divery diverse mix of people in Nottingham and everyone gets (eerm.."it") on with everyone else.

sounds good ! :biggrin:
Reply 86
gets what.......hurpies....STDS.....aids......???
Reply 87
matouwah

well now you mention it, NG7 (uni postcode) does have the highest STD rate in Nottingham
Reply 88
matouwah

I think you'll find that it's spelled herpes...
Reply 89
ok i've just read the whole Durham Nottingham debate, i have nothing against Nottingham nor any other university. However i am frankly becoming narked with the amount of rahs appearing everywhere. I applied to UCAS twice because i decided to take a last minute gap year and couldn't be bothered to defer. In total i applied to ;
Nottingham
UCL
King's
Warwick
Bristol
Trinity (Dublin)
Edinburgh
Durham
(i applied for more than one degree at several)
I also applied to Cambridge, i passed the initial interview stage with, as they say 'flying colours', however i found the people to be for the most part, stuck up boorish snobs. Their snobbery wasn't aimed at me in fact it was quite the opposite, telling me i could be one of them and look down on all the 'plebs'. I withdrew my application and sent a letter of 'thanks but no thanks' in response to my notification of second interview stage. I'm not saying i would've been offered a place, but hey who knows. The guy who said it's too much pressure to reject Cambridge needs to go and find his spine and realise they are actually quite useful.
I was offered a place at all of the Universities to which i applied. I rejected them all expect for one.
The one i didn't reject is excellent academically, set in beautiful surroundings and is filled with warm friendly outgoing people from all walks of life. Extra curricular there is just as important as your degree itself, which to be fair makes sense as you might have 3 MA's from Oxbridge but if you are socially inept you still won't get that job. Employers recognise this which is why the employment rate for this Uni is fantastic.
I understand loyalty to any University, but this one instills a sense of community, a true understanding of friendship and most of all a pride so fierce it makes your heart want to burst.
That's why i love Durham.
x
michellef
ok i've just read the whole Durham Nottingham debate, i have nothing against Nottingham nor any other university. However i am frankly becoming narked with the amount of rahs appearing everywhere. I applied to UCAS twice because i decided to take a last minute gap year and couldn't be bothered to defer. In total i applied to ;
Nottingham
UCL
King's
Warwick
Bristol
Trinity (Dublin)
Edinburgh
Durham
(i applied for more than one degree at several)
I also applied to Cambridge, i passed the initial interview stage with, as they say 'flying colours', however i found the people to be for the most part, stuck up boorish snobs. Their snobbery wasn't aimed at me in fact it was quite the opposite, telling me i could be one of them and look down on all the 'plebs'. I withdrew my application and sent a letter of 'thanks but no thanks' in response to my notification of second interview stage. I'm not saying i would've been offered a place, but hey who knows. The guy who said it's too much pressure to reject Cambridge needs to go and find his spine and realise they are actually quite useful.
I was offered a place at all of the Universities to which i applied. I rejected them all expect for one.
The one i didn't reject is excellent academically, set in beautiful surroundings and is filled with warm friendly outgoing people from all walks of life. Extra curricular there is just as important as your degree itself, which to be fair makes sense as you might have 3 MA's from Oxbridge but if you are socially inept you still won't get that job. Employers recognise this which is why the employment rate for this Uni is fantastic.
I understand loyalty to any University, but this one instills a sense of community, a true understanding of friendship and most of all a pride so fierce it makes your heart want to burst.
That's why i love Durham.
x

thats all lovely but why are you posting it on a nottingham thread? start up a durham one, i'm sure you'll get lots of replies
There are some nice pubs in Nottingham. Worth a mention are Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (which claims to be the oldest in the UK I think), and The Bell Inn (another medieval pub) and a Wetherspoons called...Wetherspoons!

J.
Reply 92
Remember Kids, Education before Fornication
Reply 93
hornblower
There are some nice pubs in Nottingham. Worth a mention are Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (which claims to be the oldest in the UK I think), and The Bell Inn (another medieval pub) and a Wetherspoons called...Wetherspoons!

J.

I think there's currently three of them fighting it out over which is the oldest in the UK...but yup, Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem currently holds the title.

We also, apparently, have the oldest restaurant in the UK (or so the signs outside it tell me...).
Reply 94
michellef
Yes, this is normally the pattern.

Something to do with logistical problems when attending two universities at once, I think.
Reply 95
nottingham as a city is a shanty town,top 4 crime rates in england,12th most deprived aorthority in england poorer than barnsley,bradford,middlesborough hull and sunderland(national statistics .com)

didnt get voted in the top 15 cities in england

its a joke of city
Reply 96
andyreid
nottingham as a city is a shanty town,top 4 crime rates in england,12th most deprived aorthority in england poorer than barnsley,bradford,middlesborough hull and sunderland(national statistics .com)

didnt get voted in the top 15 cities in england

its a joke of city

And here was me think we'd finally seen the last of you. Aww shucks.
Frances
And here was me think we'd finally seen the last of you. Aww shucks.

i know, you'd think he'd get bored by now jeez
Did anyone notice the cambridge student spelt Edinburgh wrong?How IT got into Cambridge,i will never know.And Eton is gay
Reply 99
People, people, people. Chill pill time. This is a NOTTINGHAM forum not a DURHAM one.
But an interesting unbiased little story for you "Doxbridgers"...
Once upon a time a friend of mine applied to University via UCAS. She was delighted to receive an offer from Durham University and accepted this conditional offer as her Firm choice of University driven by ambition built on unfounded foundations. Off she went to study there and lasted until December(!) of her first year because she simply loathed the whole atmosphere intensly. She found that the course did not suit her, the nightlife was poo (Newcastle fulfilled her partying needs but her bank balance suffered) and the people who attended Durham appeared to class themselves as superior for some intolerable reason beyond her. She found Campus life wasn't for her.
One year later she re-applied through UCAS (obviously not applying for Durham) and has just entered her last year of studying at what she described as...I quote..."The most amazing and awe-inspiring adventure of her life..."
Friendly people, an open-minded community and amazing nightlife.
And she lives happily ever after...
At Nottingham.
Amen.

Latest

Trending

Trending