London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm with you, same course i believe :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Im doing MSci, as my signature suggests.
Reply 3
Excellent. Look forward to meeting you guys. If there are any more then please show yourselves. I want to see how many TSR members are gonna be doing Maths at Kings. I hope we have a blast.

Angu
Reply 4
yes yes mate, im doin maths at kcl this september. I got ABB, doin BSc. But the bastards cant give me ne decent halls, i wanted stamford st.
Dry your eyes mate: plenty of people didn't get what they "wanted".
Reply 6
know wat u mean man. u doin maths 2? do u know if ppl can get accommodation round 2nd of oct?

GengisKahn
Dry your eyes mate: plenty of people didn't get what they "wanted".
Reply 7
Im doin maths aswell, but the funny thing is i applied for math/management but i had a talk wiv the admissions tutor, and so i switched 2 straight maths. the straight maths bsc has good career prospects, cos i wanna do a masters in financial maths.... at kcl or any other place.

angadchawla
Hi,

I will be at Kings in September doing Mathematics BSc. If there is anybody out there doing this course or any maths course for that matter, please please speak! Tell me please who you elusive individuals are...just for reassurance. I look forward to hearing from y'all.

Angu
Reply 8
woh obaid,
We seem to share the same academic aspirations. I really wanted to do that financial mathematics masters and also wanted to do math/management but was told the maths bsc would be more suitable for that course. It's cul I guess. I may change totally during my 3 years and decide to do a different masters or seek employment. We haven't even begun and we already have our future planned out in front of us! I don't really know what to expect except that we're going to be taught by esteemed mathematicians and gain a lot from it. I know of nobody doing maths at kings right now. I spoke to a friend of mine doing his undergrad maths degree at Bath and he seems to be enjoying it. He said that the balance between work and play needs to be attained very quickly once enrolled. It's going to be difficult for us with the many distractions that London provides us with. Your thoughts?
I suppose if you love maths that much then the motivation to work will come automatically. On the flipside, Kings is a great environment to study in from what I've heard. We shall see in any case.

Angu
Reply 9
Does anybody know how many people do MSci, on average? I chose the MSci because the 4th year options are fantastic:

Chaotic dynamics
Neural networks
Manifolds
Applied probability and stochastics
Fourier analysis
General relativity
Lie groups and Lie algebras
Operator theory
Point particles & string theory <---------- Fantastically interesting!
Quantum mechanics II
Quantum Field Theory
Mathematics Education and Communication
Introduction to supersymmetry

All of which I have scratched the surface of, and found thouroughly enjoying. If you haven't read What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods I thouroughly recommend it; it is a nice bridge between A-level and degree level.

Most of the above list you can read about in Hawkings books. Topology is fantastic, the most brilliant topological surface is the Klein bottle (Euler characteristic 0!!!!). MSci is the first stepping stone to theoretical physics!

Obaid, is that your real name? Where are you from?
Reply 10
Did anyone get in Maths through clearing then? I heard it became very competitive this year.
Reply 11
obviously like ne 1 else i wanna b loaded wen i grow up. and i want a career in banking, or investment banking, trading etc. But yeh, the main reason im goin uni is 2 chill out n have a laugh. doing maths is awite cos there ant no essays, or learning texts. just practising many questions. I could have got
into actuarial science bsc at city through clearing but my brother dont let me do it. he goes it will take 10yrs to become a fully qualified actuary. at strand campus at kings, they got a bank rite next to them called delloitte, that looks sick!!! imaging workin there an investment banker.
yeah i dont know that many ppl doin maths at kings, mainly all of the ppl i knew went to ucl n city. but i got rejected by ucl for maths cos they want 3A. and further maths. Im only goin kings cos its no 6 on the guardian league tables, and 16th on the times online..and cos the uni looks nice.

angadchawla
woh obaid,
We seem to share the same academic aspirations. I really wanted to do that financial mathematics masters and also wanted to do math/management but was told the maths bsc would be more suitable for that course. It's cul I guess. I may change totally during my 3 years and decide to do a different masters or seek employment. We haven't even begun and we already have our future planned out in front of us! I don't really know what to expect except that we're going to be taught by esteemed mathematicians and gain a lot from it. I know of nobody doing maths at kings right now. I spoke to a friend of mine doing his undergrad maths degree at Bath and he seems to be enjoying it. He said that the balance between work and play needs to be attained very quickly once enrolled. It's going to be difficult for us with the many distractions that London provides us with. Your thoughts?
I suppose if you love maths that much then the motivation to work will come automatically. On the flipside, Kings is a great environment to study in from what I've heard. We shall see in any case.

Angu
Spider
Did anyone get in Maths through clearing then? I heard it became very competitive this year.

Hicham aka THale got into Maths through clearing. That's all I know. And Obaid? I am the CURSE of all mathematicians! I. Am. An. Arts Student!!! Muahahahaha!!!!! So no. I don't do maths. :smile:
Reply 13
GengisKahn
Hicham aka THale got into Maths through clearing. That's all I know. And Obaid? I am the CURSE of all mathematicians! I. Am. An. Arts Student!!! Muahahahaha!!!!! So no. I don't do maths. :smile:

I didnt get in through clearing! LOL....how absurd that you make such an assumption! I told you, I went via UCAS extra after deciding medicine wasnt for me.
Reply 14
That is excellent HTale. I had to reject Warwick because my father and I realised that PPE was not course for me. It was all quite sudden. My dad's a doctor and our social circle in essex comprises of other doctors so you can imagine the pressure they put on me to follow the same career path as my father. My dad didn't want me to do it and initially wanted me to do a politics based degree.
He does NHS and private work and knows the workings of the health service inside out and has done so for 12 years now. He told me stuff that not many people know about how the NHS in the UK is run. I think Hicham made a very good decision to do Maths. He will realise in 5 years time or so how right he was not to do medicine. I look forward to meeting ya at freshers week. There was some administration error with my accommodation so there is a major delay in assigning me a place at a hall. Insh'Allah I'll get one. I really don't care where. Btw I ain't muslim.
The MSci course looks fantastic. I am (very slowly) reading a book on Chaos Theory by this Warwick professor called Ian Stewart and it is really cool. The concepts require lots of concentration to grasp (especially Topology) but if you take your time then it is a fascinating read. I recommend it 'Does God Play Dice?'. Do you think we'll get a reading list?

Angu
Reply 15
What a coincidence! I have just finished "Does God play dice". Its a fantastic book.

Career-wise, I hope I have made the right decision. The major factor was the work experience, which went on for a long time (I worked in the volunteers services). To be frank, I hated every minute of it! To everyone, it may sound that Im a cold hearted person, but it's a big commitment to make, and I didn't think I was capable of doing it.
Reply 16
yea rite on hicham. we'll have fun during the next 3 yrs. commitment is soo important if one wants to do medicine.doing maths means we have lots of flexibility. lads (or ladies), any of u play any sports competetively like rugby or football or will want to at kings?
Reply 17
Obaid
obviously like ne 1 else i wanna b loaded wen i grow up. and i want a career in banking, or investment banking, trading etc. But yeh, the main reason im goin uni is 2 chill out n have a laugh. doing maths is awite cos there ant no essays, or learning texts. just practising many questions. I could have got
into actuarial science bsc at city through clearing but my brother dont let me do it. he goes it will take 10yrs to become a fully qualified actuary. at strand campus at kings, they got a bank rite next to them called delloitte, that looks sick!!! imaging workin there an investment banker.
yeah i dont know that many ppl doin maths at kings, mainly all of the ppl i knew went to ucl n city. but i got rejected by ucl for maths cos they want 3A. and further maths. Im only goin kings cos its no 6 on the guardian league tables, and 16th on the times online..and cos the uni looks nice.

10 years to become qualified? Quite a few qualify in under two years with an actuarial degree, and then the average is 4-5 years. 10 years is reserved for those who are really slow or have too many commitments to study.

Deloitte is not a bank, nor do they employ investment bankers. They're an auditing and consulting firm.

Still, you're doing the right thing not worrying about careers way into the future and concentrating on what you would like to do now.
Reply 18
hey angad. just thought id butt in. Its funny cos my parents r pakis, and as a result they want me to become a Dr, and do medicine or dentistry more than ne thing. My bro is a Dr, he did medicine at ucl. so im doing sumthing i like, but my parents r still on my case. just doing my fuc.king head in 24/7.
Reply 19
yea totally. it can be such so irritating.
"So what do you want to be then Angad? A doctor like your daddy?"

"Um not really. I would like to go into finance perhaps or economics but I would like to do my masters before that if I can help it."

"Oh"
*End of conversation and grown-up walks away to talk to somebody else as fast as their legs can move.*
This is usually followed by a condesending look down or an evident change in expression from one of friendliness to one of shock and arrogant indifference. Most of my indian friends have been coaxed into entering medicine. I just like to think I'm too cool for medicine :-).

It's the way of the world I guess. My dad gave me a choice and I decided that I did not wish to work 8am till 9pm every day and be on call all the time and have minimal time for the family. It must be killer for a doctor mum and dad to maintain and look after the household. Plus the current state of the NHS means that the initial satisfaction of curing a certain ailment of making somebody better or happier has gone or atleast diminished significantly imho. Rather than thanking the doctor for his effort, they now EXPECT to be cured and made well regardless of the cost or difficulty of the operation. I am not suggesting you should kiss the doctors feet or anything, atleast say thank you. This happens all too frequently within the NHS and is an unfortunate result of the modern welfare state. The majority of NHS doctors will testify to this. In a profession where satisfaction is one of the main incentives to wake up in the morning and go to work, it doesn't bode well. 6 years of study and then 4 years of clinical training seems somewhat empty to me all of a sudden. Pay is pretty good though. This is all in my opinion and I urge you to speak differently and disagree with me if you want to.
How comes you didn't do medicine obaid?

Angu

Latest