The Student Room Group

Can anyone answer this [Neuroscience]

Will rep anyone who can help me with these Q's- each answer can be used once, more than once or not at all:

For each of the following physiological responses, select the MOST appropriate type of nerve and the receptor in the tissue that mediates the response, from the list of options below.

6.Constriction of the pupil

7.Micturition

8.Decreased intestinal motility

9.Neurotransmission at the neuromuscular transmission

10.Dilation of blood vessels in skin and muscle

OPTIONS FOR QUESTIONS 6-10
A.Parasympathetic, muscarinic
B.Sympathetic, muscarinic
C.Parasympathetic, nicotinic
D.Sympathetic, adrenergic
E.Somatic, nicotinic

-----

For each of the following statements, select the MOST appropriate option from the list below.

11.Is an inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitter in the CNS

12.Is released from sensory fibres of the C type following a painful stimulus.

13.It is released from interneurones in the corpus striatum

14.If it is deficient in the corpus striatum then this may result in Parkinsons disease.

15.Increases membrane permeability to chloride ions.

OPTIONS FOR QUESTIONS 11-15
A.Acetylcholine
B.Dopamine
C.Enkephalin
D.GABA
E.Substance P

Thaanks :biggrin:
Reply 1

Thaanks :biggrin:

There's no point in people doing it for you, they won't be there in the exam. Wikipedia is your friend. Seriously, if I was gonna answer these Q's for you I would just wikipedia it, find it out and post it here. But you won't gain anything from it.

What would be more productive for yourself in terms of learning would be for you to post up what you think the answer is and then I could correct you if you get any wrong. Otherwise you won't learn anything.
Reply 2
krisblade
There's no point in people doing it for you, they won't be there in the exam. Wikipedia is your friend. Seriously, if I was gonna answer these Q's for you I would just wikipedia it, find it out and post it here. But you won't gain anything from it.

What would be more productive for yourself in terms of learning would be for you to post up what you think the answer is and then I could correct you if you get any wrong. Otherwise you won't learn anything.

6. A/C - How do you know if its muscarinic or nicotinic
7. A/C - Same as above
8. D
9. B
10. D

11. D
12. E
13. A
14. B
15. ???
------

If you could correct and pass advice where possible. Sadly we don't get given the answers to these.
Reply 3
Gary10k
6. A/C - How do you know if its muscarinic or nicotinic
7. A/C - Same as above
8. D
9. B
10. D

11. D
12. E
13. A
14. B
15. ???
------

If you could correct and pass advice where possible. Sadly we don't get given the answers to these.

Muscarinic or nicotinic are basically two types of receptors that both react to ACh but one reacts to muscarine stronger than nicotine and vice versa. I don't know huge amount about them, just the basics. My understanding it nicotinic receptors are the receptors of the postganglionic neuron and the muscarinic receptor is on the target organ.

6 - Parasympathetic, muscarinic

It's muscarinic as drugs such as atropine cause pupil dilation as it is a competitive antagonist for the muscarinic receptors, thus blocking the action of those receptors inducing constriction.

7 - Parasympathetic, muscarinic

Tolterodine is an antimuscarinic drug that is used to treat urinary incontinence, and hence by preventing the action of muscarinic receptors, it prevents micturition.

8 - Sympathetic, adrenergic

Alpha receptors cause decreased motility.

9 - Somatic , nicotinic

Just research neuromuscular transmission, the postganglion has nicotinic receptors which respond to the release of ACh. I wasn't so sure about somatic, but that's what I've gone with. Many muscle relaxants are neuromuscular blocking drugs and somatic control is the control of voluntary muscle etc.

10 - Sympathetic, adrenergic

In fight or flight, beta 2 adrenergic receptors are activated to increase blood flow to muscles using vasodilation.

11 - GABA

Um, is an amino acid and has inhibitory effect on CNS :p:

12 - Substance P

Part of pain perception and is released in nociception.

13 - Acetylcholine

Very important transmitter in striatum.

14 - Dopamine

Parkinson's is due to lack of dopamine.

15 - GABA

GABA activates chloride channels. Look up GABAA receptors. Basically involved in depolarisation and hyperpolarisation depending on whether the channel moves Cl- in or out.

So, er, there you go. This is what I think the answers are, I may well be wrong. I've tried to put some vague justification as to why. I've highlighted the ones where we differ. I use drugs as justification a lot.. I'm a medic so I learn how most things work on the basis of how drugs affect our normal responses, so it's just kinda how I think things through, sorry if it's not a hugely helpful justification. Also sorry for the slow repsonse... I've been asleep all day, I'm a tad nocturnal :biggrin: Hope this helps!

EDIT: I was just thinking, my god A-levels have got hard suddenly, WTF. And then I realised you are obviously doing a degree :teeth: I worry about myself sometimes...
Reply 4
krisblade

9 - Somatic , nicotinic

Just research neuromuscular transmission, the postganglion has nicotinic receptors which respond to the release of ACh. I wasn't so sure about somatic, but that's what I've gone with. Many muscle relaxants are neuromuscular blocking drugs and somatic control is the control of voluntary muscle etc.

No idea why I put B :P

Also manged to figure out as a general rule it is nicotinic when ACh acts on skeletal muscles, and muscarinic when ACh acts on glands, smooth muscle and cardiac muscles.. hope that helps with your future :biggrin:
Reply 5
Gary10k
No idea why I put B :P

Also manged to figure out as a general rule it is nicotinic when ACh acts on skeletal muscles, and muscarinic when ACh acts on glands, smooth muscle and cardiac muscles.. hope that helps with your future :biggrin:

Thanks for that, I actually wasn't a 100% sure about it, and whilst I was answering this I even googled it and came up with nothing helpful, nice to know!
Reply 6
krisblade
Thanks for that, I actually wasn't a 100% sure about it, and whilst I was answering this I even googled it and came up with nothing helpful, nice to know!

Yeah, had to get my lecturer to clear it up. Gave you rep x

Latest