The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography Unit 3 - 21 June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jimbo9292
hii , i find alot of ppl sayin they want to do the tectonics essay is it weird tht i want to do the ecosystems essay - and i do find the tectonics short answer questions easier to answer than the ecosystems ones ?? :eek3: wat u think ?

Well if you've had a good teacher for ecosystems and have done a lot of practice essays/case studies then one might want to do the essay on it.

As for the short questions...I recently did a mock paper where I didn't actually understand some of the short ecosystems questions (which shows you just how bad our teacher has been!)

At the end of the day the questions are choice based - you just choose what you think you'll get the best marks on, but you should really be basing this on the essay question as this carries the most marks.
Reply 41
For those doing tectonics: intrusive activity has been left off the syllabus, but it's still in the textbooks. Is there a chance it'll come up on the exam?
Reply 42
aROOba
For those doing tectonics: intrusive activity has been left off the syllabus, but it's still in the textbooks. Is there a chance it'll come up on the exam?

We've not learnt about that (unless I missed the lesson, but I nearly always get notes from what I've missed) so I'd say no. That said, if it does come up, it won't be the end of the world because you've got the choice between the essay and the structured questions, and it's not going to come up twice.
Reply 43
Has anyone done any ecosystem essays and would like to post their question and maybe even their essay?!? I will exchange for a tectonics essay I got 35/40 on :biggrin:.
Reply 44
I scraped an A on my January skills paper, the whole class seemed to do really bad- we didn't know what the examiners were looking for.

For the June paper i'm learning world cities, development, hazards & weather- hazards is probably going to be my essay question, but im really struggling to include synoptic links in the essay. I mean, i feel like ive been doing it- like ive included population etc. but my teacher keeps telling me to put more links in- are we supposed to make it super explicit like 'in this topic i studied last year....'

Also, surprisingly ive been finding it a lot easier to learn the physical topics, coz you can just learn specific facts. With the human topics, although you can blag some of it, there is no definite answer- a lot of it has to be own research, case study information etc. so i'm not sure how to condense everything into revision notes!

does anyone have any essays i could look at for help? either weather/world cities/hazards/globalisation?
any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 45
aROOba

I have it on reasonably good authority that it will *not* be in the exam as they can only test what is on the syllabus.
They made a mistake and literally forgot to put it on.
It may be worth learning it anyway (it's not hard) and you could earn extra brownie points if you were to drop it in somewhere.
For people trying to convert marks into UMS - since we're guinea pigs we can't work this out until we know what the grade boundaries are like

A suggestion for an essay, which I am going to do over the next few days as I have ran out of the proper essay questions

(it's essentially Question 1 from specimen converted into Weather & Climate)The extent to which storm events represent hazards depends on when and where they are experienced. Discuss this statement
Reply 47
wind-swept
For people trying to convert marks into UMS - since we're guinea pigs we can't work this out until we know what the grade boundaries are like

A suggestion for an essay, which I am going to do over the next few days as I have ran out of the proper essay questions

(it's essentially Question 1 from specimen converted into Weather & Climate)The extent to which storm events represent hazards depends on when and where they are experienced. Discuss this statement

Sounds like trying to alter questions on other areas of the syllabus might be a good idea to a certain extent.

Off the top of my head you might want to also try
"In storm events, poverty is the real killer. Discuss this statement."
That's a tectonics essay though, but instead of "tectonic processes" I've changed it to "storm events". Hopefully that would be relevant to the weather part of the course - we've only done tectonics and ecosystems from the physical section.
We're doing world cities, conflicts, plate tectonics and ecosystems. Our teacher for plate tectonics and cities has been brilliant, but the other one, not so. So for the last couple of weeks our good teacher has been trying to get us up to speed on ecosystems (which is so boring) and conflicts. I haven't started any proper revision though, and we weren't giving a textbook, so I don't really know how to go about it. So, I'm pretty much screwed, but at least I got an A for AS.
Reply 49
Hattie1992
We're doing world cities, conflicts, plate tectonics and ecosystems. Our teacher for plate tectonics and cities has been brilliant, but the other one, not so. So for the last couple of weeks our good teacher has been trying to get us up to speed on ecosystems (which is so boring) and conflicts. I haven't started any proper revision though, and we weren't giving a textbook, so I don't really know how to go about it. So, I'm pretty much screwed, but at least I got an A for AS.

Im in the same situation.. doing the same modules but ours were split between a human and physical teacher. My human topics teacher is *****.. so I reckon ill probably do a tectonics essay - as ecosystems is so boring!
ive started my revision with case studies, but I don't know how useful this will be based on last years exam....
Reply 50
Hey, our class is doing just the three topics - Im not too fussed to be honest, as long as you know them well you just get what your given :smile:

We are doing Plate Tectonics, ecosystems and world cities.

just posting to keep updated on the thread really. Any tips/exam questions is always good when revising. Good Luck to the lot of you.
Reply 51
I was reaaaaaaaaaaaally hoping for an essay on climate change as that is so easy, but it was in the specimen paper so I'm not too optimistic. :frown:
Reply 52
Hmm, I haven't actually started revision and don't intend to till Monday for Unit 3, am I screwed?
Reply 53
Progashman
Hmm, I haven't actually started revision and don't intend to till Monday for Unit 3, am I screwed?

dont think so, i havent done very much at all.. yet. This exam is my last one and its a week after my penultimate exam so im planning on doing a decent amount of revision in the coming month, but then cram cram cram in that week.
Reply 54
Progashman

You'll be fine! As long as you know at least some case study material, and can 'make comments' on the data they provide us then you'll do fine.

Best of luck!
Subs.
Reply 56
Am I the only one considering doing a human essay? My marks for human essays seem to be far better than physical ones. 40/40 in a timed human esasy the other week, whilst my physical marks tend to be 33 ish timed. I find human essays far more esay to blag!
Reply 57
is it just me or does this exam seem to be 'death by case study'
theres so many!!
Reply 58
Progashman

No.

We've done some revision in class but apart from that I haven't done more than 20 mins in my own time.

I personally find revision most effective by doing a fair bit in the 2-3 weeks before an exam. Revising 6 weeks before is no good to me. It's all personal choice, but you're certainly not screwed if you're a hard enough worker to get your head down.
I've studied Tectonics, Climate & Weather, Conflicts & Globalisation. I'm worried about the depth in which I've studied human topics though. Anyone like to share any of there practice exams with me, We haven't done much in the way of mock essays, but I have loadddddss of info on climate I would be more than happy to share. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending