The Student Room Group
Reply 1
English is a pretty broad degree. You can get into communications such as marketing, PR, publishing advertising, journalism, even politics. It depends on the modules you want to study. You can obviously teach, but you can do things like teach English abroad. Most would recommend you do English Literature, but I don't think there's a problem with English Language and Literature if you're not overly keen on the lit side.
Wolfos
English is a pretty broad degree. You can get into communications such as marketing, PR, publishing advertising, journalism, even politics. It depends on the modules you want to study. You can obviously teach, but you can do things like teach English abroad. Most would recommend you do English Literature, but I don't think there's a problem with English Language and Literature if you're not overly keen on the lit side.

I would like to do an English Lit degree, just that I've got an A-level in English Language. How do I go about it?
Reply 3
iheartmondays
I would like to do an English Lit degree, just that I've got an A-level in English Language. How do I go about it?

Eng lit is a fairly competetive degree so you may find that certain Universities require you to have an A in English Literature. I'm sure if you had a browse on the profiles of various unis you could find one which doesn't need previous Eng Lit knowledge.

If you are willing to compromise slightly you could always apply for Eng Lit and Lang
Wolfos

Surely you could do that with a science degree?
Reply 5
iheartmondays
If so, what careers can you pursue?

It depends what you compare it with, it's as strong as most humanities degrees but weaker than most science or engineering degrees (in term of employment).

For example English at Cambridge has 19% of graduates in non-grad jobs and 9% unemployed. By comparison Computer Science at Cambridge has 3% in non-grad job and 2% unemployed.
It's a very well respected and challenging degree, and you need to have really good grades to get in, so it's strong in that respect.

On the other hand because the careers it tends to lead to are so competitive- journalism, writing, publishing, advertising, etc- you'll need to do a fair bit of unpaid work experience/internships, or get more qualifications, before you get the job you want/a decent salary.
Reply 7
Yeah it's a strong arts degree. If it's at a good uni and you yourself are employable I'm sure you'll be OK. What I mean to say is I don't think an English degree from a good uni will hold you back.
Yes.
im so academic
Surely you could do that with a science degree?

I'm sure you could do all those with a science degree but the question was about English degree's. :rolleyes:

Latest