The Student Room Group

York Uni Electronic Engineering

Hey guys, I shall be accepting an offer to study Electronic Engineering at the University of York. I initially studied Civil Engineering at Southampton but left half way through due to personal circumstances. My question however is this. Is York any good for Electronic Engineering. It seems to be reasonably ranked in the League Tables however they are meaningless to me. Does it have a decent reputation in comparison to Southampton or am I way off the mark.

Thanks for your time guys :smile:
Don't worry about it. Seriously.

If you're looking for a career as an electronics engineer then "reputation" is completely meaningless. All they're going to be interested in is potential, "what you've done", personality and enthusiasm, even your degree isn't very important and after a year or two in industry will be meaningless (all that money down the drain, I know).

So my advice is three-fold:

1. Go where you like best and where you think you'll be happiest.
2. Experience, experience experience. Do some summer placements.
3. Develop your enthusiasm for the subject. Read. Design. Build. Engineering isn't about sitting in lecture theatres listening to the guy on the pedestal talk at you for hours. Engineering and university engineering are two completely different worlds.

If you do all that, you'll be about the most employable guy out there.
EdwardCurrent
Don't worry about it. Seriously.

If you're looking for a career as an electronics engineer then "reputation" is completely meaningless. All they're going to be interested in is potential, "what you've done", personality and enthusiasm, even your degree isn't very important and after a year or two in industry will be meaningless (all that money down the drain, I know).

So my advice is three-fold:

1. Go where you like best and where you think you'll be happiest.
2. Experience, experience experience. Do some summer placements.
3. Develop your enthusiasm for the subject. Read. Design. Build. Engineering isn't about sitting in lecture theatres listening to the guy on the pedestal talk at you for hours. Engineering and university engineering are two completely different worlds.

If you do all that, you'll be about the most employable guy out there.

This x ∞ + 1.

Latest

Trending

Trending