Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Darren Bent.
Barça
Slander :confused:

He;s bi?
Reply 22
SirMasterKey
I know they don't but you asked which is what I gave my answer to.

Thank You.
jermaine jenas is definatley fully bats :yep:
gunsnpork
lmao, i know John personally, he's not gay, wtf, he's got two kids

So you don't know about your good friend John Fashanu's brother Justin who came out as gay, then committed suicide??
Reply 25
gingerrama
So you don't know about your good friend John Fashanu's brother Justin who came out as gay, then committed suicide??

yes i do, but the other guy said John was the gay one.....
Reply 26
Ashley Cole has to be...it would explain everything...
Reply 27
Singh_2
Darren Bent.

Simple yet effective. :woo:
Reply 28
Phonicsdude
He;s bi?

Still don't geddit :o: It wasn't a joke if that's what you mean.
Reply 29
Its not just football, its all major pro team sports, except for that Rugby bloke who recently came out... statistics would suggest that there is at least one maybe two gay men on each professional sports team (as the unofficial number has been set at 1:10 in the population... For a sportsman, its the fate worse than death isnt it.. all the macho/invincible personae on display at any sporting event, would make it virtually impossible for any major team sport athlete to come out... It would take a remarkably strong and resolute individual...
Reply 30
Singh_2
Darren Bent.

:lol:

Brilliant, subtle but effective :p:
Reply 31
Topic reminded me of this.
I remember reading an article on the acceptance of homosexuality and how it has always been tougher in spheres involving a high level of male camaraderie such as the military and sports like football. The fear of offensive chants(if racism is an issue in this day and age just imagine what would be directed at openly gay players) is one of the biggest issues anyone would consider before coming out.
Considering the putalence of a sizeable minority of football fans I don't think it's in the interest of homosexual footballers to declare their orientation, not that they should have to because it's none of my business.
I reckon they'll have retired before they come out. Can't see a footballer admitting to being gay whilst still playing in fear of the wrath of the crowd.
According to this article which was in the Guardian G2 a month or so ago (which is a very interesting read on the matter), Justin Fashanu is the only professional English footballer to come out as gay.
SelfishGiant
According to this article which was in the Guardian G2 a month or so ago (which is a very interesting read on the matter), Justin Fashanu is the only professional English footballer to come out as gay.

It's not a surprise. It wouldn't be in the footballers interest to come out, the amount of abuse they'd receive from opposition. Some of the stuff chanted about players only suspected of being gay such as Sol Campbell and Graeme Le Saux is bad enough.
It's more likely to be a senior player who's career is declining - as was the case with Gareth Thomas - or a retired player who's going to come out first and then we might see it slowly happen.
When the FA released their anti-homophobia campaign earlier this year Max Clifford said that he was aware of several gay players and strongly warned a couple of them against revealing their sexuality as it would've ruined their career.
Reply 36
I don't see why any footballer should come out. It's nobodies business.
Reply 37
There must be some gay fooballers surely. I know it doesn't really fit the image of football but being gay doesn't hugely fit the image of Rugby yet there are several gay rugby players I think, and that hasn't really caused any problems.

I'm not a football fan as such but I imagine the vast majority of football fans aren't homophobic and the vast majority of footballers aren't homophobic, and the only thing actually stopping gay footballers coming out is a percieved homophobia that is only there to an extent. Ofcourse there will be gay insults chanted at football matches, but there are racist ones too and thats never stopped black players playing football (although obviously racist and homophobic chants are something the FA seriously needs to address).

I think it'll take one footballer to come out to break the mould, and that'll open the floodgates to a degree.
Reply 38
It is a little surprising that none have elected to take up that position as what would be a bit of an ambassador for young gay men who want to compete in the top levels of sport.

I guess that the nature of sport may mean that the majority would get forced out of it, by bullying or their own self loathing at a very low level. Unfortunate, but true.
No doubt that coming out would do a lot of good and would be a positive thing. You wouldn't want to be the first though really.

Latest