Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a TSR Liberal Democrat

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a question as such but the Speaker has asked MP's who are happy to be named on the Amendment that I sent to you to PM him to confirm as such.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Saying NO to further Rail Privatisation
    Why are you so against it? do you think that this country has infinite money to spend on rail? and as it is Nationalisation is out of the question due to EU law... in fact I don't even thing the current system is allowed technically.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Why are you so against it? do you think that this country has infinite money to spend on rail? and as it is Nationalisation is out of the question due to EU law... in fact I don't even thing the current system is allowed technically.
    I am against this, the Transport Secretary has not spelled out his plans in more detail and fails to mention which areas he increase Privatization.

I am in favour of Vertical Integration, Track and Operation together in one company. This is being piloted at the moment.

One of the reasons for the current fragmented system is EU Law, Directive 91/440. There has been a lot of criticism of the way BR was Privatised

I did a lot of research on Rail because I am interested and due to my role last term.

I read a magazine called Rail
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Frenchie

I read a magazine called Rail
    I am offended by you calling me that.

I read a magazine called 'The Economist'.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Frenchie,

I am against this, the Transport Secretary has not spelled out his plans in more detail and fails to mention which areas he increase Privatization.
    With respect Morgsie, the Transport Secretary has had just a few days in the job and so of course he is not going to have detailed plans at this stage. Barring yourself, no other members of your party produced any statement with regards to their own policy while you were in your coalition and so I hardly think that you can criticise the Transport Secretary after only a few day when your party had months and made no statements barring your one.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plus it's transport. It's like the red-headed step child of government. No one else cares about it. I mean sure, have a view, but I question the mental stability of anyone who gets vociferously worked up about it.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    With respect Morgsie, the Transport Secretary has had just a few days in the job and so of course he is not going to have detailed plans at this stage. Barring yourself, no other members of your party produced any statement with regards to their own policy while you were in your coalition and so I hardly think that you can criticise the Transport Secretary after only a few day when your party had months and made no statements barring your one.
    Toronto,

We have made mistakes as part of the last Government. Not producing Statements is one of them.

I am putting my hands and saying yes we made mistakes.

We were trying to push through stuff but Labour were dead silent on many things or opposed it
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toronto,

We have made mistakes as part of the last Government. Not producing Statements is one of them.

I am putting my hands and saying yes we made mistakes.
    Then since you have admitted to that mistake, then please give the transport Secretary time to formulate plans rather than saying 'oh you've been in power less than a week and have no plans, how very dare you!'
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then since you have admitted to that mistake, then please give the transport Secretary time to formulate plans rather than saying 'oh you've been in power less than a week and have no plans, how very dare you!'
    I had plans/vision when I took office. I needed a couple of months to research them which is why it took long time to publish the Statement.

I will await the new Transport Secretary's more detailed plans which will give hopefully say which areas will be further privatized.

I have already said what my preferred position is. I have carried the work which I started to Opposition which someone else is leading on and I help out when I can.

The ideas which I have carried over is expanding the Rail Network. I will be working with the Transport Spokesperson to determine which lines should be reopen.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had plans/vision when I took office. I needed a couple of months to research them which is why it took long time to publish the Statement.

I will await the new Transport Secretary's more detailed plans which will give hopefully say which areas will be further privatized.

I have already.said what my preferred position is. I have carried the work which I started to Opposition which someone else is leading on and I help out when I can.
    That is all well and good, but he's a new MP by the looks of things and so it takes time to get into the swing of things.

(Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Plus it's transport. It's like the red-headed step child of government. No one else cares about it. I mean sure, have a view, but I question the mental stability of anyone who gets vociferously worked up about it.
    I'm assuming that they wear anoraks instead of suits in the department for transport.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    Take it I will not be getting an apology? I thought that by pointing out you offended me, you would of taken the initiative to apologise but clearly not :moon:
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is all well and good, but he's a new MP by the looks of things and so it takes time to get into the swing of things.

I'm assuming that they wear anoraks instead of suits in the department for transport.
    I was a new MP last term but I had a little knowledge hence why I was selected for Transport. I was also saying Transport ideas for the October 2011 Manifesto.

The Department for Transport must have a role in the Rail industry.
    ATOC have said that Franchise Control should remain with the DfT
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Take it I will not be getting an apology? I thought that by pointing out you offended me, you would of taken the initiative to apologise but clearly not :moon:
    I am deeply sorry that you were offened by that comment made by myself and other people have said it previously, which I assumed you were Okay with it because you did not point them out on it.

Once again, I am sorry for that comment.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was a new MP last term but I had a little knowledge hence why I was selected for Transport. I was also saying Transport ideas for the October 2011 Manifesto.

The Department for Transport must have a role in the Rail industry.
    ATOC have said that Franchise Control should remain with the DfT
    He has had a few days though and so you have to be fairer than you are being.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morgsie if you had been in the government this term you would have had the chance to ensure things are 'satisfactory for you.' - This is his Sixth Day in position.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Morgsie if you had been in the government this term you would have had the chance to ensure things are 'satisfactory for you.' - This is his Sixth Day in position.
    I received 2 offers about forming a Government and both deals offered Transport. If the Party accepted an offer then things would have been a lot different.

The Party was split evenly and MPs had to make a decision which was decline both offers. MPs had shifted their position by the way.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I received 2 offers about forming a Government and both deals offered Transport. If the Party accepted an offer then things would have been a lot different.

The Party was split evenly and MPs had to make a decision which was decline both offers. MPs had shifted their position by the way.
    This is all hypothetical history. You need to let the Transport Secretary put forward his policy in good time and then have the debate.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is all hypothetical history. You need to let the Transport Secretary put forward his policy in good time and then have the debate.
    He has already stated that he wants to further privatize Transport.
    I will be privatising all state transport
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    He has already stated that he wants to further privatize Transport.
    So you already have a policy with which to debate so I'm not sure why you're complaining about the Transport Secretary not doing anything. He will reveal his plans in good time as every member of the cabinet will do.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you already have a policy with which to debate so I'm not sure why you're complaining about the Transport Secretary not doing anything. He will reveal his plans in good time as every member of the cabinet will do.
    I am not complaining about his activity, I am complaining about the policy
Updated: March 11, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.