Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a TSR Liberal Democrat

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds intense :indiff:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow... I have my own ideas of politics (British Politics, European Politics, Catalan Politics and Spanish Politics), and I share some of them with my parents.

However, and even if I could guess some time, I am not sure about what my parents think nor I know who they vote for and why. I have asked many times, and they never want to answer.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

From now until the 10th June/if I get voted out of the Liberal Democrat Leader Election. I wish to no longer be leader/PM during that time frame.

For some of this I will still be an MP (going on Holiday in a few weeks), but after this if you have full confidence in me, I will be quite happy to continue in the role of leader/PM.

I feel that I have let down all of you over the past few weeks. And I am certainly not deserving of the highest office in TSR-dom or even to be your party leader.

Thunder_Chunky is Temporary party leader under this, and I presume Drogue becomes prime minister.

I ask T_C to appoint a deputy leader for me as per the recent amendment to the party constitution.

Thanks,

Simon
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (this is a public forum)

I actually have no idea who becomes PM in the situation above.

I thought it was like in Real where if Cameron was to resign - Clegg (the other party) would be PM while the Tories sorted themselves out.

And I've not left - if you read it then you'll see its a temporary break from it.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    I thought it was like in Real where if Cameron was to resign - Clegg (the other party) would be PM while the Tories sorted themselves out.
    I think that is perhaps the best and most fair situation for the TSR HoC in this case.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So.. has Afc quit?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In real life would the acting leader of the Conservative Party not be Prime Minister? I'm not entirely sure...as usually the deputy prime minister would become the acting leader of that party and thus PM.

I have no idea which takes precedence, I imagine it would be discussed within the coalition before the resignation, I don't think there is a constitutional norm, considering we haven't had coalition government in peacetime for over 80 years.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you;re not leader protocol makes Drogue the PM, but your coalition can do whatever it likes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    If you;re not leader protocol makes Drogue the PM, but your coalition can do whatever it likes.
    But as we havent been given cabinet details it could be either Will or t_c who is currently Acting leader of the Senior Coalition partner
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not that it means much, but surely in your government negotiations the Lib dems held the position of PM? So it'd be a Lib dem that became Leader.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't a DPM have been decided on?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simontinsley)
    In real life would the acting leader of the Conservative Party not be Prime Minister? I'm not entirely sure...as usually the deputy prime minister would become the acting leader of that party and thus PM.
    I strongly suspect that in real life the person who would take over would be the First Secretary of State who holds rank second only to the Prime Minister (albeit usually used to mean Deputy Prime Mininster). In the Tory-Lib Dem coalition this is William Hague (another reason why the Lib Dems have been shafted royally without anyone noticing) but of course we don't follow such convention here.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    I strongly suspect that in real life the person who would take over would be the First Secretary of State who holds rank second only to the Prime Minister (albeit usually used to mean Deputy Prime Mininster). In the Tory-Lib Dem coalition this is William Hague (another reason why the Lib Dems have been shafted royally without anyone noticing) but of course we don't follow such convention here.
    Thanks for the clarification, although I'd disagree with the bit in bold. The chances of Cameron resigning without the coalition failing are minuscule.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the clarification, although I'd disagree with the bit in bold. The chances of Cameron resigning without the coalition failing are minuscule.
    Paternity leave might be an issue though?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, no that's a given but the fact that William Hague has been given a position which is normally used by "Deputy Prime Mininsters" implies quite strongly that Clegg isn't as powerful as he thinks he is. Who is the stronger after all: the Foreign Secretary or a department-less Deputy PM?

You'll be interested to note that Prescott and Mandy were both FSoS.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elli_emc)
    Paternity leave might be an issue though?
    Possibly, although I strongly suspect Clegg will be acting Prime Minister during those times.

Well, no that's a given but the fact that William Hague has been given a position which is normally used by "Deputy Prime Mininsters" implies quite strongly that Clegg isn't as powerful as he thinks he is. Who is the stronger after all: the Foreign Secretary or a department-less Deputy PM?
    Indeed, but I'm sure Clegg would have been aware of this when being offered the deal. I suspect he cared more about the policies he was campaigning on rather than the office of state he would personally get.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but I'm sure Clegg would have been aware of this when being offered the deal. I suspect he cared more about the policies he was campaigning on rather than the office of state he would personally get.
    Clegg has special responsibilities for Electoral Reform I believe...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like your utopian beliefs here. I'm afraid they're probably misplaced.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point about the 'First Secretary' title actually. I mean, obviously, Nick Clegg appears to be 'Minister for Political Reform', which means pretty much nothing considering the terms of the coalition. Hopefully this government can do better.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    I like your utopian beliefs here. I'm afraid they're probably misplaced.
    Possibly, although I don't believe he was doing it for any unselfish reasons, ironically. If he'd gone into coalition being home secretary but with no policy concessions he would have had outrage from his party, much more so than the rumblings of discontent from the economic left of his party.
Updated: March 11, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.