Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Take laptop or desktop - University

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I've struck a dilemma where I can't decided whether I should take my laptop or desktop with me to university. The previous years I've always just used my macbook and that worked well enough. Most of the time my laptop would just sit on my desk in the same place anyway - however my course is beginning to use more 3D intensive programs. This can act quite sluggish on my windows partition on my mac.

At the moment I'm at the stage where I'm thinking of taking both. As I know my macbook will get use. The PC would be used for more intensive window programs - however taking it means during the summer I won't have a gaming PC (too much effort to take it back with me home each semester). It has the bonus appeal that I can actually play some decent games on my desktop - however I won't be spending that much time on it - socializing first! I am already taking an external monitor for my macbook anyway - so is it worth the extra luggage taking the tower with me?

Thanks in advance
    Iain
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMack)
    Hey there,

I've struck a dilemma where I can't decided whether I should take my laptop or desktop with me to university. The previous years I've always just used my macbook and that worked well enough. Most of the time my laptop would just sit on my desk in the same place anyway - however my course is beginning to use more 3D intensive programs. This can act quite sluggish on my windows partition on my mac.

At the moment I'm at the stage where I'm thinking of taking both. As I know my macbook will get use. The PC would be used for more intensive window programs - however taking it means during the summer I won't have a gaming PC (too much effort to take it back with me home each semester). It has the bonus appeal that I can actually play some decent games on my desktop - however I won't be spending that much time on it - socializing first! I am already taking an external monitor for my macbook anyway - so is it worth the extra luggage taking the tower with me?

Thanks in advance
    Iain
    Is it possible to leave the desktop on at home and slave it for the processing power?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMack)
    Hey there,

Thanks in advance
    Iain
    Laptop only if Oxford or Cambridge. Desktop if any other university.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMack)
    Hey there,

Thanks in advance
    Iain
    Hmmm.......isn't there any special computer facilities to meet your needs?
    If not, try to reconfigure your current desktop into an itx form and get one of those small cases so its easier to move around.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMack)
    Hey there,

Thanks in advance
    Iain
    Definitely get a MacBook, you want something portable for school. If you need to run windows just install BootCamp which then allows you to run Windows.)
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Is it possible to leave the desktop on at home and slave it for the processing power?

What is this sorcery?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.