Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 & PDF / Excel

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys.

Since I'm always working on away jobs & travelling far..and have quite a few PDF books I want to read....I was thinking of getting a tablet.

So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 seems like a good deal @ ~ 230-250 for 16gb...

Anyone use it for heavy PDF reading (i.e. books with lots of colour/graphs etc & not just text)?

The reviews ive seen on youtube make it out as quite good, although not as good as Ipad mini 2 in the sun/outside....

also, if I got a Bluetooth keyboard and tried doing some excel work on it...would it be able to handle big 20-50mb files with lots of formulas/macros?

anyone have any strong recommendations one way or another?

thanks for any help.
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neveradullday)
    Hi Guys.

Since I'm always working on away jobs & travelling far..and have quite a few PDF books I want to read....I was thinking of getting a tablet.

So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 seems like a good deal @ ~ 230-250 for 16gb...

Anyone use it for heavy PDF reading (i.e. books with lots of colour/graphs etc & not just text)?

The reviews ive seen on youtube make it out as quite good, although not as good as Ipad mini 2 in the sun/outside....

also, if I got a Bluetooth keyboard and tried doing some excel work on it...would it be able to handle big 20-50mb files with lots of formulas/macros?

anyone have any strong recommendations one way or another?

thanks for any help.
    Well, my mate has one and they are extremely powerful. Nothing taxes it and with Android L being less demanding and soon available I think it will seem even more powerful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Well, my mate has one and they are extremely powerful. Nothing taxes it and with Android L being less demanding and soon available I think it will seem even more powerful.
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry I go all n00b every time I buy a computer since I stop bother keeping up with tech for 1-3 years (to not get depressed @ continuously falling prices & rising specs).

Im assuming this Android L upgrade will be available for download even if I buy the Samsung S 8.4 next week?

Also, are there any imminent releases being foreseen in next month or two that could result in price falling by 50-75£? Im guessing price will probably fall quite a bit for Christmas ?( im usually out of the country this time so don't know what happens retail £ wise here)

Something that worries me is potential resale value. Kind of feel that apple products retain it much more, however I really don't feel like getting an ipad...

thanks for replies!
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry I go all n00b every time I buy a computer since I stop bother keeping up with tech for 1-3 years (to not get depressed @ continuously falling prices & rising specs).

Im assuming this Android L upgrade will be available for download even if I buy the Samsung S 8.4 next week?

Also, are there any imminent releases being foreseen in next month or two that could result in price falling by 50-75£? Im guessing price will probably fall quite a bit for Christmas ?( im usually out of the country this time so don't know what happens retail £ wise here)

Something that worries me is potential resale value. Kind of feel that apple products retain it much more, however I really don't feel like getting an ipad...

thanks for replies!
    I don't think it will get Android L till around Xmas and theres is no reason for them to lower the price at the moment, I agree that Apple products do contain their value better because they are solely made by Apple, there are far less models available thus a higher resale value and because they're not competing with other manufacturers on the same platform.

However saying that the Tab S is a really sexy piece of kit, the screen is SOOOO GOOD on it, its literally amazing oled is, and its insanely fast.

Which do you prefer more? Android or ios?, Have you tested the models yet at a shop? Have you considered a Microsoft Surface?

Those last questions more than anything should be the deciding factor in which you pick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    I don't think it will get Android L till around Xmas and theres is no reason for them to lower the price at the moment, I agree that Apple products do contain their value better because they are solely made by Apple, there are far less models available thus a higher resale value and because they're not competing with other manufacturers on the same platform.

However saying that the Tab S is a really sexy piece of kit, the screen is SOOOO GOOD on it, its literally amazing oled is, and its insanely fast.

Which do you prefer more? Android or ios?, Have you tested the models yet at a shop? Have you considered a Microsoft Surface?

Those last questions more than anything should be the deciding factor in which you pick.
    But when Android L comes out, it will be a free downloadable upgrade yes?

I've always had quite a few ipods but never iphones or laptops. I hated having to convert my video files for ages to my ipod and find the drag and drop much easier on my android phone....kind of fearing having to do hours of converting to store videos on a potential mini....

Surface Pro 3 seems awesome but a bit too big and expensive. Im wary of dropping too much money on something that will essentially be a PDF reader (I know there are things out there for 60-100£ but I always want to enjoy my purchase )...normal Surface doesn't seem too appealing and im trying to stay away from W8 if I can...
    Ill be checking them out in Selfridges/J.Lewis or something before making the final purchase online next week.
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    But when Android L comes out, it will be a free downloadable upgrade yes?

I've always had quite a few ipods but never iphones or laptops. I hated having to convert my video files for ages to my ipod and find the drag and drop much easier on my android phone....kind of fearing having to do hours of converting to store videos on a potential mini....

Surface Pro 3 seems awesome but a bit too big and expensive. Im wary of dropping too much money on something that will essentially be a PDF reader (I know there are things out there for 60-100£ but I always want to enjoy my purchase )...normal Surface doesn't seem too appealing and im trying to stay away from W8 if I can...
    Ill be checking them out in Selfridges/J.Lewis or something before making the final purchase online next week.
    You considered a surface pro one because there still hugely powerful and affordable and I think WIN 8 is good on a tablet but its down to personal pref, but it is huge I agree. Heres a link to consider if you want...

http://r.ebay.com/Vq7AjH

To the galaxy tablet;

Yes, Android L will be a free upgrade, but how long it takes to come out on it, depends on how long samsung faff about with touchwiz on it. It is a superb tablet even on android 4.4.4 and will have no problems with Excel or playing movies and the screen really does make it a pleasure to watch movies on.

Honestly personally I would have it because it powerful, light, has a ridiculously good screen on it and it has androids large apps selection.
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:

thanks for replies!
    I bought mine recently for £170 from Amazon Warehouse. Because of two tiny scratches on it that i can't even see. Keep an eye out there.

I've not tried excel on it but it handles pdf with ease.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    annoying, it seems all the awesome £240 (S 8.4) & £310 (S 10.5) deals ive been seeing on amazon / various online shops are mostly just HK / China based businesses, many of which have very dodgy reviews bordering on scam level (most of them infact)...not to mention that since its an imported model it would only have 1 year of warranty vs 2 years if it was bought in UK...and not to mention that if it isn't already imported it might get VAT charge at customs. seems im left with buying from John Lewis / PC word / Samsung direct for like 319 / 399 depending on model...but atleast it would be with a 2 year warranty. does anyone know how much the price is expected to drop by Christmas sales / post?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm also thing of getting this tablet with a bluetooth keyboard. As this will be my first tablet I'm also hoping for some Christmas deals on this or possibly the Nexus 9.

Just one quick question, doing a search online I notice all the keyboards seem to only have a $ sign above the 4 and a # sign above the 3. How do you type a £ sign? I'd rather not have to have the bother of typing the special codes whilst holding the alt key all the time. That would be a bind.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 9, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.