The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/apple-macbook-pro-range-gets-refresh-1036070

No I got mine the other day. :frown:

Gah. Now i've got to return it and then wait to get my money back and then order it AGAIN.
Worth it for the extra HDD space (I was gonna change it myself but I wont bother now) and for the higher re-sale value.
Original post by Camoxide

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/apple-macbook-pro-range-gets-refresh-1036070

Gah. Now i've got to return it and then wait to get my money back and then order it AGAIN.

Bad times ):
cba to wait around. Just gonna go into my overdraft while I wait for it.

If you're near an Apple Store I'm sure they'd just replace it for you :smile:
only got a storm font. The person on the person on the live chat seemed to imply i can't return it there.

Plus I don't really wanna be walking out of the shop with a £1K (£860) laptop!
Reply 226
How many and how often can you buy Mac's through the Apple uni student thing? ie, if i get a mbp today, is that it, or can i buy an imac next year?
Original post by bufferz
How many and how often can you buy Mac's through the Apple uni student thing? ie, if i get a mbp today, is that it, or can i buy an imac next year?

From the Apple Store website:

2.8 The following quantity limits per academic school year apply to purchases on the Apple Online Store for Education:

- Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
- Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
- Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
- iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

The above quantity limits apply to purchases of Apple products with a dedicated education discount on the Apple Online Store for Education, Apple on Campus Online Stores, Apple Authorised Resellers or Apple Retail stores. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase with a dedicated education discount is made. Apple reserves the right to cancel your order if you have reached these limits. We will inform you if we cancel your order on the above basis. Any payments you have made will be refunded to you.
Reply 228
Cheers for that, so I buy a pro now, I will have to wait until next sept for the imac? Fair enough, gives me time to save up for the 2nd one...
Original post by bufferz
Cheers for that, so I buy a pro now, I will have to wait until next sept for the imac? Fair enough, gives me time to save up for the 2nd one...

I'm not sure, but I interpreted the meaning to be that you can't buy another MBP this year (or any macbook for that matter) but can buy an iMac.

(or you could buy a High spec MBP and a monitor).
Original post by bufferz

No, the two are separate. You can buy one of each per year.
This is what I thought.
Reply 232
Ah, brilliant then...
Hey i'm new so sorry if its been asked before, but how much is the student university discount off from the new updated 13" base model Macbook Pro's? Like whats the final price?

Also i'm thinking about buying a 13" model this year and then a 15" model Sept/Oct next year, would I still be eligible for the student discount off the 15" in Sept/Oct one or would I be restricted to only discount on one machine?

Also to get the extended warranty thing I need to ring up and order/do it online right?

Thanks ^__^
Original post by Toki_Premium

Hey i'm new so sorry if its been asked before, but how much is the student university discount off from the new updated 13" base model Macbook Pro's? Like whats the final price?

Also i'm thinking about buying a 13" model this year and then a 15" model Sept/Oct next year, would I still be eligible for the student discount off the 15" in Sept/Oct one or would I be restricted to only discount on one machine?

Also to get the extended warranty thing I need to ring up and order/do it online right?

Thanks ^__^

Assuming you're looking at the entry level model, it's £859.20 after university discount.

You can buy one notebook with your student discount every twelve months, so you would have to wait until next november at the earliest. Why do you want to replace it so quickly? Surely you'd be better off buying a basic Windows laptop/notebook until you can afford the 15" Pro, otherwise you're going to spending well over two grand on the two laptops in the long run. At very least you can put the savings from not getting the 13" into getting an even beefier 15", although you may not even need the 15" depending on what you plan on using your Mac for?

Yes, the free extended warranty is online or phone only.
Hey thanks for the reply but firstly why do you assume that I can't afford the 15" model? Just out of curiosity.. not in a rude way ofc, i'm a student but tbh I have a job, I have savings and I have support from my Mum and all.

I don't think its worth buying a 15" model now for me personally, when ivy bridge (yes, i've done my research and have been advised too) will be available next year in Q2 onwards.. along with potentially a design overhaul..

Also I have my reasons for wanting to get both a 13" Macbook Pro and a 15" Macbook Pro.. the main reason being my current laptop is not doing so well and I don't wish to buy the 15" model with my reason being listed above, the 13" being the viable alternative for small tasks and so.

Ok awesome, thanks for that. ^__^
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone having problem with MBA overheating?
I just use it to surf the net, and after 20min, the base is really so hot that i can't keep it on my lap.

Hey thanks for the reply but firstly why do you assume that I can't afford the 15" model? Just out of curiosity.. not in a rude way ofc, i'm a student but tbh I have a job, I have savings and I have support from my Mum and all.

I don't think its worth buying a 15" model now for me personally, when ivy bridge (yes, i've done my research and have been advised too) will be available next year in Q2 onwards.. along with potentially a design overhaul..

Also I have my reasons for wanting to get both a 13" Macbook Pro and a 15" Macbook Pro.. the main reason being my current laptop is not doing so well and I don't wish to buy the 15" model with my reason being listed above, the 13" being the viable alternative for small tasks and so.

Ok awesome, thanks for that. ^__^

I was assuming you were getting the 13" as an intermediate until you can afford the bigger machine, but regardless, I'd still be saying it's a waste of money getting both if you'll only be using one for less than a year and for basic things. You've said yourself you're only going to be doing "small tasks", a basic Sandybridge i3 laptop will be able to do that and for about £500 less than the entry level Pro. It's your money so it's obviously up to you, but it just seems like a rather pointless way of spending almost a grand if you aren't going to get a decent amount of use out of it. On the subject of Ivy Bridge, are you actually planning on doing anything intensive with your machine(s)? Because if it's just basic student fare, you aren't going to notice the difference between a quad core i7 now and the processors running in the next iteration of Pros, the difference will really be negligible if you aren't going to be stressing it.
Original post by destination unknown

I just use it to surf the net, and after 20min, the base is really so hot that i can't keep it on my lap.

That definitely shouldn't be an issue, are you browsing Flash-based sites?

That doesn't mean it's overheating, the aluminium design is meant to make the whole thing a heat sink, so it should get quite warm, but you should still be able to touch it having said that :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending