The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question.. most people have always told me that all I need to do is show my acceptance letter into uni as proof of being a student. However, I rang up the Trafford Centre branch today (as it's the one nearest to me), and I was told that I need a university ID card as proof. I have a slight problem.. I don't start uni until late September. Would my current college card get the the same discount, or less?
Original post by antipathyx
Just a quick question.. most people have always told me that all I need to do is show my acceptance letter into uni as proof of being a student. However, I rang up the Trafford Centre branch today (as it's the one nearest to me), and I was told that I need a university ID card as proof. I have a slight problem.. I don't start uni until late September. Would my current college card get the the same discount, or less?

College discount is smaller. Try again at a later date so you speak to someone else, you should be allowed to use your acceptance letter.
Reply 342
How much is the latest (today's) 13 inch MacBook Pro with student discount?

Do the prices as the previous model and student discount rate stay the same?

Thanks! I'll give them a ring again tomorrow :smile:
I've found this link to my university's Apple Store page, where I seem to be able to get the discount: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000709
Do you think it'd be okay to order through that link, as I will be going there in September anyway? One last question I had.. if I order my Macbook online, is there a lot of setting up to do once I receive it? As I know that in store, they set it up for you.
Original post by H903
How much is the latest (today's) 13 inch MacBook Pro with student discount?

Do the prices as the previous model and student discount rate stay the same?

The entry level model is identically priced to the last gen £859.20 after student discount.

Original post by antipathyx
Thanks! I'll give them a ring again tomorrow :smile:
I've found this link to my university's Apple Store page, where I seem to be able to get the discount: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000709
Do you think it'd be okay to order through that link, as I will be going there in September anyway? One last question I had.. if I order my Macbook online, is there a lot of setting up to do once I receive it? As I know that in store, they set it up for you.

Most people who use those links don't have an issue, but there are rumours that they randomly call and ask for confirmation. Worst comes to worst, they will cancel your order, so it's not really going to end badly either way =P

Setting up a Mac is exceptionally easy, just a simple case of following through the steps. It's obviously nice for them to help you set up in store, but it really is something anyone familiar with technology can do. That service is more there for people who need to set up iTunes accounts or are old =P
Reply 345
Original post by H903

No worries (:

Also, for anyone interested in a cheap MacBook Pro, I'm selling my 2010 model:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, 256MB
250GB HDD
1280 x 800 display

Excellent condition, works perfectly. Will come with a clean install of OS X 10.6. Looking for £500, PM me for any extra information or if you'd be interested in buying it.
Really want the new macbook pro retina display model. But even with student discount its still £1528, and that's gonna take some saving by October....
Is buying applecare for the student discounted MBP 13" worth the extra £47?
Because I know that with the education pricing you get 3 years warranty and a year of phone support included, so just wanted to know if the extra 2 years of phone support would really be that useful/necessary.

Also if it helps I'm gonna be using it for uni, no real gaming, maybe angry birds at most lol, or media editing just internet, music, films/tv and word/excel/powerpoint etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nikhil.shah
Is buying applecare for the student discounted MBP 13" worth the extra £47?
Because I know that with the education pricing you get 3 years warranty and a year of phone support included, so just wanted to know if the extra 2 years of phone support would really be that useful/necessary.

Also if it helps I'm gonna be using it for uni, no real gaming, maybe angry birds at most lol, or media editing just internet, music, films/tv and word/excel/powerpoint etc.

No it's not.
Reply 350
Hey guys, I'm currently planning to buy a mac for university. But I'm living at home so wouldn't be able to get the discount online. Can I still get it in store? What things come with ordering online that I can't get in store? Thanks.
Original post by Lunnus
Hey guys, I'm currently planning to buy a mac for university. But I'm living at home so wouldn't be able to get the discount online. Can I still get it in store? What things come with ordering online that I can't get in store? Thanks.

Yes, you can buy in store with a valid university ID or letter of confirmation from a university. The only major loss is the three years extended warranty that online/phone orders get automatically. However you will be offered heavily discounted Applecare at about £48-£60 depending on model, which offers identical coverage and an additional two years of phone support.
Reply 352
Hi!

I'm interested in purchasing a MBA from the online HE store and was wondering whether Apple run any verification steps with your university to check if you're a student? Is it just a matter of getting onto the HE store and purchasing, or are there further steps to show eligibility? Reason I ask is because I've finished my degree and am due to graduate in a months time, so technically I'm no longer a student. But my uni username/password is still working and I can log onto the HE store via campus or VPN.

Cheers.
Reply 353
Original post by Lunnus

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000828/

have fun
Reply 354
Is it possible to get the student discount in the retail store? And if so, do you have to be a university student? Can you be in college? - Since on the website, there is that option, however other people have said otherwise.
Reply 355
A question from an international student:

I'm going to purchase a MacBook Pro 13' soon and would like to get the student discount, yet I'm determined to get one with a German keyboard layout (in order to get the 'ü', 'ä', 'ö', ß etc. buttons). The German website only lists the German universities participating in the 'Apple on campus' program but I'm going to study in Scotland.

Does anyone know how to purchase a MacBook with the mentioned keyboard layout and the 'Apple on campus' discount as a student at a Scottish (or English) university? I'm still in Germany, could I just run into a German Apple Store, show them my conditional (very soon unconditional) offer and get the discount?

I know that Apple stores take into consideration the normal student discount but I'm not sure as to whether they also do the 'Apple on campus' thing, especially if the participating university is in another country ...

Any piece of advise would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 356
Original post by Sir Fox
A question from an international student:

I'm going to purchase a MacBook Pro 13' soon and would like to get the student discount, yet I'm determined to get one with a German keyboard layout (in order to get the 'ü', 'ä', 'ö', ß etc. buttons). The German website only lists the German universities participating in the 'Apple on campus' program but I'm going to study in Scotland.

Does anyone know how to purchase a MacBook with the mentioned keyboard layout and the 'Apple on campus' discount as a student at a Scottish (or English) university? I'm still in Germany, could I just run into a German Apple Store, show them my conditional (very soon unconditional) offer and get the discount?

I know that Apple stores take into consideration the normal student discount but I'm not sure as to whether they also do the 'Apple on campus' thing, especially if the participating university is in another country ...

Any piece of advise would be greatly appreciated :smile:

If you order it online you get to choose what keyboard configuration you want. I can't remember for sure if German was an option, but my instinct says it has to be!
Reply 357
Original post by georgia
If you order it online you get to choose what keyboard configuration you want. I can't remember for sure if German was an option, but my instinct says it has to be!

Wow, that's cool. Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I'm not connected to the uni network (quite self evident :biggrin:), is there any way to access the Apple on campus store right now?
Original post by Sir Fox
Wow, that's cool. Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I'm not connected to the uni network (quite self evident :biggrin:), is there any way to access the Apple on campus store right now?

Google "Apple Education Store URLs" and the first link should give you instructions for accessing the edu store for any institution in the country (:
Reply 359
Aaah, I knew that, have already read that some time ago :facepalm: It's a matter of only some digits in the URL, isn't it? Just didn't remember :biggrin: Thanks again!

Latest

Trending

Trending