The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ed-
Nope but a discount as an A level student is better than none :wink:

I'm not an A Level student though lol. Hopefully my offer will be changed to an unconditional in a couple of weeks though, so I'll get it soon :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by insomniacfreak
acc, the apple care is 78% off for higher education :smile:

Actually no, you're wrong I'm afraid.

Regular AppleCare: 1 year repair coverage, 90 days telephone support. £199 to upgrade to 3 years repair and telephone support.

Student AppleCare: 3 year repair coverage, 1 year telephone support, £48 to upgrade to 3 years telephone support.

I hope this helps everyone!

Also, you do not need to be a registered student to get this discount. If you have an offer letter that should suffice, but then you have to order it instore and do not get the Student AppleCare mentioned above.

If, like me, you want this student AppleCare and are holding an offer for next year, follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18/how-to-get-a-15-discount-at-the-apple-online-store-from-your-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

At some point they may ask you to prove you are holding/are currently in a place at university so please do choose the one you're actually attending, and do not use this link if you do not hold any place.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 382
Just out of curiosity, usually when I'm browsing the Apple website on the UK education store, the MacBook Pro comes up at around £860, but now it's around £940. Any reasons why would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by ThatFrog
Just out of curiosity, usually when I'm browsing the Apple website on the UK education store, the MacBook Pro comes up at around £860, but now it's around £940. Any reasons why would be appreciated :smile:

Are you going through the same link? 6% sounds in line with the FE discount, so it could either be that you were previously looking in a HE store and now you're looking at an FE one, or the institution has had its status changed. There's no change to the HE pricing, by link is still showing £860.
Original post by mattferg
Actually no, you're wrong I'm afraid.

Regular AppleCare: 1 year repair coverage, 90 days telephone support. £199 to upgrade to 3 years repair and telephone support.

Student AppleCare: 3 year repair coverage, 1 year telephone support, £48 to upgrade to 3 years telephone support.

I hope this helps everyone!

Also, you do not need to be a registered student to get this discount. If you have an offer letter that should suffice, but then you have to order it instore and do not get the Student AppleCare mentioned above.

If, like me, you want this student AppleCare and are holding an offer for next year, follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18/how-to-get-a-15-discount-at-the-apple-online-store-from-your-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

At some point they may ask you to prove you are holding/are currently in a place at university so please do choose the one you're actually attending, and do not use this link if you do not hold any place.

Actually, I managed to buy mine over the phone and got AppleCare. The guy just asked me to email him a copy of my confirmation letter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
From what I remember, it's the same link. But as your link's showing £860, I may be wrong. Thanks though :smile:
Original post by ThatFrog
From what I remember, it's the same link. But as your link's showing £860, I may be wrong. Thanks though :smile:

You might need to connect to your university network to buy it, I don't know whether you can buy from home with the education discount. If you want to look at the discounts you'll be getting, here's the link to the UCL page as an example (http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000828), I think it's the same amount for every university. :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by jameswhughes
You might need to connect to your university network to buy it, I don't know whether you can buy from home with the education discount. If you want to look at the discounts you'll be getting, here's the link to the UCL page as an example (http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000828), I think it's the same amount for every university. :smile:

Thanks for this! I'm still just an offer holder so I'd have to buy over the phone/in store, but seeing the prices beforehand has helped :smile:
Reply 388
Hi can i ask whether the three years extended warranty when purchasing from he apple store is worth it. The reason I ask Is because now the MacBook Air is £816. I am going to Japan soon and can buy one there for £707 roughly with uk keyboard. So do you think I should buy in uk higher edu store or whilst I'm on holiday?
Original post by krazer18
Hi can i ask whether the three years extended warranty when purchasing from he apple store is worth it. The reason I ask Is because now the MacBook Air is £816. I am going to Japan soon and can buy one there for £707 roughly with uk keyboard. So do you think I should buy in uk higher edu store or whilst I'm on holiday?

Why not buy from the online store, I recall you get the warranty if you buy online from your uni network.
Reply 390
I think he was talking about doing that vs getting the laptop cheaper in Japan with no uni discount and thus no warranty.
Reply 391
Original post by Iqbal007
Why not buy from the online store, I recall you get the warranty if you buy online from your uni network.

Hi mattferg has got it right. I'm asking whether i should buy it from Online Uk higher ed store or from Japan which comes out at a relatively lower price. So basically is the three years extenedd warranty worth the difference between buying in Uk or Japan. Thanks
Hi mattferg has got it right. I'm asking whether i should buy it from Online Uk higher ed store or from Japan which comes out at a relatively lower price. So basically is the three years extenedd warranty worth the difference between buying in Uk or Japan. Thanks

It depends whether they are willing to accept the warranty in the UK as well, so find that out first.
I would say having 3 years worth of warranty is pretty good,plus i'm sure the discount for a student is something like 15%.
Reply 393
I think you're still a bit confused. He wouldn't get the warranty if he bought it on holiday in Japan. He would get it if he bought it here. That's the differentiator, besides the price.
Reply 394
Original post by mattferg
I think you're still a bit confused. He wouldn't get the warranty if he bought it on holiday in Japan. He would get it if he bought it here. That's the differentiator, besides the price.

I have checked and I would get the one year international warranty apple offers when purchasing in Japan. I would not get the three years that comes from buying off the student edu store. Also regarding the back to school offer lasts year was vouchers. Can I ask if I can use the voucher to buy apps like pages, numbers.

Since this is my first macbook, which is better office for mac or pages,numbers?
Three years is definitely worth it imo

I would think about it like, £100(ish) or 3 years complete piece of mind, if it goes wrong you can walk into any apple store and they'll fix it for you, free. Macbook's are built strong, they're not likely to go wrong in a year. Typing this on mine now, I've had it since september. Taken it into the genius bar once when the keyboard and mouse randomly stopped working. They were really patient and had it fixed in minutes. (Just opened it up and unhooked the battery then reconnected it and it was fine). Personally I think the extra 2 years coverage would be well worth the £100 extra.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 397
Office for Mac
Reply 398
Original post by hrbrox
I would think about it like, £100(ish) or 3 years complete piece of mind, if it goes wrong you can walk into any apple store and they'll fix it for you, free. Macbook's are built strong, they're not likely to go wrong in a year. Typing this on mine now, I've had it since september. Taken it into the genius bar once when the keyboard and mouse randomly stopped working. They were really patient and had it fixed in minutes. (Just opened it up and unhooked the battery then reconnected it and it was fine). Personally I think the extra 2 years coverage would be well worth the £100 extra.

Thanks for your reply, looks like ill buy it uk then. Ill probably wait for back to school offer. Can I ask if I can use voucher to buy office for mac? If not what is cheapest way to get it. Do you know what you could buy with the voucher they have offered in previous years?
Thanks for your reply, looks like ill buy it uk then. Ill probably wait for back to school offer. Can I ask if I can use voucher to buy office for mac? If not what is cheapest way to get it. Do you know what you could buy with the voucher they have offered in previous years?

The voucher can be used on Apple's iOS App Store, Mac App Store, iTunes and iBooks. Given that Office cannot be found on any of these platforms (and costs more than the voucher's value anyway), you cannot use it towards purchasing it. You can, however, use it purchase Apple's own office suite, iWork, which offers virtually identical functionality and is fully compatible with Office files. Pages, Numbers and Keynote (Apple versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint respectively) can be bought from the Mac App Store for £14 each.

Latest

Trending

Trending