The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nope it's just receipt details and serial numbers..by buying the mac you've already confirmed you're a student as it's a student only offer.

The rebate differs on each iPod but the best value is 130 quid back on an iPod touch, so it costs you 22 quid. It's either a cheap gift or a great money maker!

I managed to get a great price on a MacBook, £729. Best thing is, i thought I'd have to get the £47 AppleCare as I'm gonna be abroad for an entire year but it turns out the free student warranty covers you internationally as well.

Sa-weet
Reply 41
think i understand the apple student discount apart from one bit...

if you buy a macbook (as a student) do you get 3 years free warranty?
i know that you can buy applecare for 3 years for £47 but i'd be tempted to go for the free one if this is an option

is the free warranty only available for the MBP? or only online?

thanks
bonbon
think i understand the apple student discount apart from one bit...

if you buy a macbook (as a student) do you get 3 years free warranty?
i know that you can buy applecare for 3 years for £47 but i'd be tempted to go for the free one if this is an option

is the free warranty only available for the MBP? or only online?

thanks

Yeah providing you buy it as a HE student (either through your campus network or over the phone) you receive the student 3-year warranty. The warranty is NOT available when you buy it from the normal online Apple store or Apple Retail stores. It must be through the Higher Education store.

It's available on the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, as well as the iMacs and Mac Minis. The only thing that AppleCare warranty has that the free Student one doesn't is 3 years of telephone support. Instead, you'd simply have to take it to an Apple Store or send it off yourself (paid for by Apple).

It is worth noting that one invidiual call to AppleCare phone support costs £35 if you're on the student warranty (after 1 year), but most problems can be solved online or in a store. So really, unless you're a complete computer noob, there's absolutely no need for the AppleCare.

Student warranty covers parts, labor, shipping, just not phone support.
Reply 43
Has anyone had to remove the barcode labels to send in for the back to school ipod touch rebate? I've tried to remove it from my macbook pro box and its probably going to rip it.
jpwhits
Has anyone had to remove the barcode labels to send in for the back to school ipod touch rebate? I've tried to remove it from my macbook pro box and its probably going to rip it.

I cut the label section of the box out so the label was still attached to a piece of the box when i sent it in.
Reply 45
Hi,
I am on a gap year so obviously not at uni and no longer classed as a student at college....

Am I still able to get any discount?

obviously If I am spending near a grand on a laptop I want SOME discount... How can I get a decent discount?!

Thanks
thecdon
Hi,
I am on a gap year so obviously not at uni and no longer classed as a student at college....

Am I still able to get any discount?

obviously If I am spending near a grand on a laptop I want SOME discount... How can I get a decent discount?!

Thanks

not until you go back to university...
Reply 47
veggie4life
not until you go back to university...

Thing is, I was going to go to uni this year, I have the acceptance letter of a place and everything, I just decided that I don't want to go this year. If I show them my acceptance letter for my course, confirming my place, will that do?
thecdon
Thing is, I was going to go to uni this year, I have the acceptance letter of a place and everything, I just decided that I don't want to go this year. If I show them my acceptance letter for my course, confirming my place, will that do?

it may do, certainly worth a go.
Reply 49
OK, I bought the MacBook Pro from my uni network, but when I went to the support it only showed that my laptop has warranty till 2011. To which address should I sent them an e-mail in order for them to prolong, because yesterday I already paid 3 pounds talking to them just because UPS delivered it one day later. :confused:
Reply 50
ssabev
OK, I bought the MacBook Pro from my uni network, but when I went to the support it only showed that my laptop has warranty till 2011. To which address should I sent them an e-mail in order for them to prolong, because yesterday I already paid 3 pounds talking to them just because UPS delivered it one day later. :confused:

I had that problem, but called AppleCare and they told me it takes 30 days for them to 'upgrade' the warranty as such. So wait until then and if it doesn't change contact them again.

Anyone who has done the rebates: Is the label we have to send in from the MacBook white box, or the brown box it was shipped in (not the UPS label, the apple one)? Both have the model number, barcode, serial number and part number on! The one on the white box has an extra ID for bluetooth, airport and ethernet on, but otherwise they are the same.. :confused:

And my printer box has about 10 different barcodes on! :rolleyes:
Reply 51
anyone used the finance service thing where you can pay monthly?
Reply 52
Does anyone know the price of a MBP when bought with the uni discount?
Reply 53
Jodly.X
Does anyone know the price of a MBP when bought with the uni discount?

858.98 for the cheapest 13"
Reply 54
is this discount valid if ure an international student who holds a UK uni offer??
Original post by AshK01

Original post by AshK01
is this discount valid if ure an international student who holds a UK uni offer??

I'm pretty sure you need to actually be at university, not just have an offer, because they take your student number. But yes, if you are a student at a UK university you can use the discount.
"In the UK this applies to students who have offers for, or who are currently at, a university in the UK"

4th line on the link :smile:
Original post by AllFallD0wn

Original post by AllFallD0wn
"In the UK this applies to students who have offers for, or who are currently at, a university in the UK"

4th line on the link :smile:

So it is XD
I was just going off personal experience, when I attempted to buy mine online I had to access it through a university network to receive the discount, so I assumed you would have to be at uni to buy one elsewhere too [=
I have a problem:

I want to buy a MBP but i'm a bit confused as to when to buy it. Basically, I'm graduating from uni in July, but i'm starting another uni course in Sept, so over the holidays I won't be classed as a student. I'd quite like the free iPod (just so I can sell it on and get some money), but I was told today by an Apple guy this deal doesn't usually start until July (when my student status will have been removed), but that I can still buy the MBP with student discount with my UCAS letter. Now this is good, but I can only do this instore, and I won't get the HE warranty.

So when should I buy it? Shall I just get it now or risk the wait?
Original post by Ayshizzle
I have a problem:

I want to buy a MBP but i'm a bit confused as to when to buy it. Basically, I'm graduating from uni in July, but i'm starting another uni course in Sept, so over the holidays I won't be classed as a student. I'd quite like the free iPod (just so I can sell it on and get some money), but I was told today by an Apple guy this deal doesn't usually start until July (when my student status will have been removed), but that I can still buy the MBP with student discount with my UCAS letter. Now this is good, but I can only do this instore, and I won't get the HE warranty.

So when should I buy it? Shall I just get it now or risk the wait?

If you order from the online store by phone, you should get the HE warranty (ask on the phone ofc!) and they might ask you to fax your proof of student identity to them :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending