The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ayshizzle

I have a problem:

I want to buy a MBP but i'm a bit confused as to when to buy it. Basically, I'm graduating from uni in July, but i'm starting another uni course in Sept, so over the holidays I won't be classed as a student. I'd quite like the free iPod (just so I can sell it on and get some money), but I was told today by an Apple guy this deal doesn't usually start until July (when my student status will have been removed), but that I can still buy the MBP with student discount with my UCAS letter. Now this is good, but I can only do this instore, and I won't get the HE warranty.

So when should I buy it? Shall I just get it now or risk the wait?

When does your student card expire? If it's still in date during the Back To School event, that's all you need. I bought my MBP using a student card from the university I had left six months earlier =P

EDIT: Just seen about your in-store/online qualm. One option would be to get a friend at university to buy it for you (In exchange for the cash, of course!). However if this isn't an option, Apple Care is severely discount in-store, costing £48 rather than £200. This gets you the same coverage as the warranty, as well as 24hr phone support and home delivery+pick up [=
(edited 12 years ago)
She wants to get it from the online HE store (to take advantage of the free 3 year parts warranty you can only get on the HE online store) which you can only access on a university network - a lot harder to do when you're not actually at university anymore :tongue:
Original post by Magnum Opus

She wants to get it from the online HE store (to take advantage of the free 3 year parts warranty you can only get on the HE online store) which you can only access on a university network - a lot harder to do when you're not actually at university anymore :tongue:

I know, I've just edited that bit in ;D
Reply 63
Are apple going to do that deal around September time where you get a free iPod touch if you buy a Mac or Macbook? Does this also come with the 15% discount?

Thanks
If you order from the online store by phone, you should get the HE warranty (ask on the phone ofc!) and they might ask you to fax your proof of student identity to them :smile:

It expires on the 1st of July and I don't get my new student card until September; I'd need the laptop before then ideally!

I think I'll wait it out, I can provide proof quite easily that i'm going to be a student again!

Thanks for your input =)
Original post by spocckka
Are apple going to do that deal around September time where you get a free iPod touch if you buy a Mac or Macbook? Does this also come with the 15% discount?

Thanks

It will be sometime between July and August, but yes, they will definitely do it. Standard student discount can also be used.

It expires on the 1st of July and I don't get my new student card until September; I'd need the laptop before then ideally!

I think I'll wait it out, I can provide proof quite easily that i'm going to be a student again!

Thanks for your input =)

If you already have a letter of acceptance for the course you'll be moving onto, Apple stores have been known to accept that so it could be worth trying if you do decide to go through the in-store route (:
Reply 66
I went into my local apple store the other day with my UCAS as12 letter and a letter from my university both confirming my place at uni starting in september this year (unconditional offer), but the guy in the shop said i couldn't get the full 15% discount until i actually started university and had a uni ID card. Is this true otherwise i won't be able to get the back to school offer as i don't start until after the promo has ended. any help would be much appreciated
Original post by Mandrews91
I went into my local apple store the other day with my UCAS as12 letter and a letter from my university both confirming my place at uni starting in september this year (unconditional offer), but the guy in the shop said i couldn't get the full 15% discount until i actually started university and had a uni ID card. Is this true otherwise i won't be able to get the back to school offer as i don't start until after the promo has ended. any help would be much appreciated

that's not true. as soon as you have that as12 you can get the discount, the full (I think it's 14%) discount. ring up and order over the phone if the store refuses the sale but you should be able to do it in the store; that guy was wrong. The education store number is 0800 072 1154 if you wanna just buy over the phone. They'll ask
For a copy of that as12.

Also the promo is not an iPod touch anymore, I believe it's a £65 App Store voucher. Hope this helps, any q's lemme know.

As said above, the guy was wrong;

Apple's terms and conditions
In order to be entitled to benefit from the education pricing on the Apple Store for Education you must be either a registered student and possess a valid student I.D. or accepted into an educational establishment or you must be engaged as a teacher or lecturer at an education institution and must require the Product for your own use or for your classes or for research.
Reply 69
Original post by georgegabriel
that's not true. as soon as you have that as12 you can get the discount, the full (I think it's 14%) discount. ring up and order over the phone if the store refuses the sale but you should be able to do it in the store; that guy was wrong. The education store number is 0800 072 1154 if you wanna just buy over the phone. They'll ask
For a copy of that as12.

Also the promo is not an iPod touch anymore, I believe it's a £65 App Store voucher. Hope this helps, any q's lemme know.

I thought he was wrong but didn't want to have an open argument with him about it as I wasn't 100% on it. Anyway thanks for your help and will just get another colleague who is willing to put it through next time.
Would anyone personally recommend the new MacBook (can't afford anything higher and the screen size for this is perfect for me)? What sets it from the rest of the laptops? I have an iPod touch and iPad and was looking to getting a MacBook because the Apple products I have so far have been great, but a MacBook will cost a hell of a lot more and I want to make sure I am making a good investment. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Original post by yahyahyahs

Would anyone personally recommend the new MacBook (can't afford anything higher and the screen size for this is perfect for me)? What sets it from the rest of the laptops? I have an iPod touch and iPad and was looking to getting a MacBook because the Apple products I have so far have been great, but a MacBook will cost a hell of a lot more and I want to make sure I am making a good investment. Thanks in advance for any advice.

For the average user, Macs aren't particularly better at any particular role, but they are generally regarded as being more stable and reliable. I bought my MBP seven months ago, and I can probably count the amount of times programs have crashed since then on one hand, without the thumb. Viruses are also a hell of a lot rarer for Macs (This is changing quite quickly given the market share they're picking up), and even if you do encounter one, it can normally be avoided with just common sense, given that programs need administrator permission to begin running. They're also extremely well built, and in the case of something going wrong Apple's customer service is exceptional- they replaced the entire top half of my MBP on the day I took it in, for free. When my brother cracked the screen on his Vaio, Sony wanted £60 and two weeks to assess the damage, that's before they begin fixing it or charging for the repair. And as said above, when you do come to get a new computer, Macs typically retain their value for a lot longer.

However at the base of it, it's still just a computer. There's only so well it can browse the web or write an email (Although the multitouch trackpad on a mac does make it a hell of a lot more "enjoyable"), and a Windows machine will do it just as well, and will last just as long through application of common sense and just being careful with it. However if you can afford to pay the premium, you will probably find that a Mac will be more reliable, and generally provide a superior computing experience.
Reply 72
Such a naff 'free gift' this year, bah.

It just works. It never breaks, never crashes, never inexplicably tells you it can't complete your task..it just works. The build quality is exceptional and the operating system is so smooth. A three-year warranty is only £47 if you're a student (and free if you don't need phone support), and you can get some great discounts on software and the price of the computer too.

It may cost a little more, but it really is a solid, solid investment. In 4 years I owned 3 Windows laptops..they either broke or slowed down too much; these were very good quality laptops too, with a lot of memory and great processors. I'm not someone that knows nothing about computers and just mistreated them, they just generally fell short of what you'd expect from an expensive computer! One thing I've found is that hardware will only do so much for you; the Mac operating system is far superior to Windows, even though a lot of the Mac specs are relatively low compared to Windows machines of the price range.

I've now had this MacBook just over a year and it's as fantastic now as it was when I first got it; couldn't recommend one more.
Reply 74
If I was to claim free three year warranty (hardware only) via online purchase, is there anything that you have to do? Because when I go to order pages it doesn't seem to appear in basket, or is it something that automatically as far as you are purchasing via university store or does it require some sort of action e.g. Acquiring code etc etc.
Original post by shiftyK42
If I was to claim free three year warranty (hardware only) via online purchase, is there anything that you have to do? Because when I go to order pages it doesn't seem to appear in basket, or is it something that automatically as far as you are purchasing via university store or does it require some sort of action e.g. Acquiring code etc etc.

nope, you'll get an email from AppleCare about a monthish after your purchase, but it's nothing strict anyway - I had a problem where they hadn't registered it as 3 years, only 1, so they just checked to see if I'd bought it online from the HE store (admittedly it was a bit more complicated than that, as no-one at the store seemed to know in the first place that you get a 3 year warranty with online HE purchases, so it took a lot of arguing before they realised their mistake :facepalm2:)
Reply 76
I'm not talking about AppleCare - I know for a fact that as far as you are student and buy it online or phone you don't need to buy AppleCare Protection Plan to get 3 year hardware warranty; it is free. I was just wondering if they sort it all for you (if that's what you meant) or you have to claim a code or voucher etc etc.
Original post by shiftyK42
I'm not talking about AppleCare - I know for a fact that as far as you are student and buy it online or phone you don't need to buy AppleCare Protection Plan to get 3 year hardware warranty; it is free. I was just wondering if they sort it all for you (if that's what you meant) or you have to claim a code or voucher etc etc.

it's still applecare, thus you will still get the email etc from apple care. that is what the guy above you is saying. it will update if you check your warranty/repair status. just buy it from the HE store and you'll get it automatically. what he is saying is that it might not change and you'll have to ring them IF that's the case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
I've just finished my first year, but I'm off campus so I'll need to order my MBP by phone. I was just wondering what proof they ask and how do I send them it ?
Original post by uer23

Original post by uer23
I've just finished my first year, but I'm off campus so I'll need to order my MBP by phone. I was just wondering what proof they ask and how do I send them it ?

By phone, they may ask you to send a scan of your student ID, although they have been known not to ask for anything [=

Latest

Trending

Trending