The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uer23
I've just finished my first year, but I'm off campus so I'll need to order my MBP by phone. I was just wondering what proof they ask and how do I send them it ?

they're supposed to ask for a scan/fax of student ID or ucas acceptance letter, but they don't actually require it. they'll take your order and then ask you to send them that afterwards
Reply 81
So has the £65 to spend on mac apps replaced the free ipod touch offer?
Original post by AA_3d
So has the £65 to spend on mac apps replaced the free ipod touch offer?

anything on iTunes/Mac/iPhone/iPad AppStores :smile:
Reply 83
Rawr. Just bought a new MBA and forgot all about this.. I could only have got the basic education discount anyway as I won't get an acceptance letter until results day (hopefully!).
Original post by Booom
Rawr. Just bought a new MBA and forgot all about this.. I could only have got the basic education discount anyway as I won't get an acceptance letter until results day (hopefully!).

if you've bought it within 14 days then take it back, because they've literally updated the MacBook Airs today - that's reason alone!
Reply 85
Original post by Magnum Opus
if you've bought it within 14 days then take it back, because they've literally updated the MacBook Airs today - that's reason alone!

Yeah - I bought one of the new ones!
Reply 86
Original post by Booom
Yeah - I bought one of the new ones!

What made you go for it?
Reply 87
Have the Macbook Pro's been updated ? Or is is just the MBA's.
Original post by uer23

Original post by uer23
Have the Macbook Pro's been updated ? Or is is just the MBA's.

The MB Airs and Mac Minis. The white MacBooks got discontinued.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1712379
Reply 89
Original post by AA_3d
What made you go for it?

Needed a new Mac for uni anyway, in my view the Macbook Pros offer nothing extra (for me/my uses) over the Airs. They're pretty much perfect for university, excluding the price!

I've been waiting for this release so it's been planned for a while!
Reply 90
Original post by Booom
Needed a new Mac for uni anyway, in my view the Macbook Pros offer nothing extra (for me/my uses) over the Airs. They're pretty much perfect for university, excluding the price!

I've been waiting for this release so it's been planned for a while!

Nice, im considering one, I download a fair bit though so idno if 256gb will be enough :/ and id like to be able to game a little.. (needed for uni also)
Reply 91
Original post by AA_3d
Nice, im considering one, I download a fair bit though so idno if 256gb will be enough :/ and id like to be able to game a little.. (needed for uni also)

My current MB is 250gb, and I've only got 25gb left.. I'm thinking of shifting most of my data online (Google Docs/Evernote) leaving pretty much just my music on the harddrive, so that should easily be enough space for the future.

Gaming sucks on Macs, although it remarkably better than before with the release off the Mac App Store. Still, a MBA may be pretty pushed to be a good gaming rig.
Reply 92
Original post by Booom
My current MB is 250gb, and I've only got 25gb left.. I'm thinking of shifting most of my data online (Google Docs/Evernote) leaving pretty much just my music on the harddrive, so that should easily be enough space for the future.

Gaming sucks on Macs, although it remarkably better than before with the release off the Mac App Store. Still, a MBA may be pretty pushed to be a good gaming rig.

Yeahh hence why im looking at the Pros, 15" most probably. But even then im still very undecided between a macbook and windows laptop :s-smilie:
Original post by Booom

Pretty much this, although if I had unlimited funds for a gaming rig I'd go for a maxed out iMac with 2GB of graphics memory =P
So does this mean the White MacBooks will be cheaper as some shops try and clear stock?
Original post by yahyahyahs

So does this mean the White MacBooks will be cheaper as some shops try and clear stock?

Probably, can't hurt to keep an eye on prices.
Well I'm desperately hoping prices don't drop dramatically and there's a mad rush because I'm on holiday ATM (and on TSR, how sad!). Currys have got rid of the white MacBooks.

Well I'm desperately hoping prices don't drop dramatically and there's a mad rush because I'm on holiday ATM (and on TSR, how sad!). Currys have got rid of the white MacBooks.

Yeah Curries/PC World have dropped the line entirely. Would be interesting to see if they're being sold at clearance prices in store.
I'm going to miss the white MBs :frown: Gonna try and keep mine forever!
Reply 99
Original post by AA_3d
Yeahh hence why im looking at the Pros, 15" most probably. But even then im still very undecided between a macbook and windows laptop :s-smilie:

If you want to play games, the price you'll pay for a Mac will be ridiculous. £1.8k for a decent GPU in the MBP, an equivalent Dell XPS 502 or 702 with a superior (full HD) screen, better sound, blu-ray and a better GPU will cost you £700 AT MOST via Dell Outlet.

Your other option would be to get a mid range desktop and a 13 inch MBP or MBA for roughly the same cost and a better gaming experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending