Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[Wiki Guide] The Apple Student Discount

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    If you want to play games, the price you'll pay for a Mac will be ridiculous. £1.8k for a decent GPU in the MBP, an equivalent Dell XPS 502 or 702 with a superior (full HD) screen, better sound, blu-ray and a better GPU will cost you £700 AT MOST via Dell Outlet.

Your other option would be to get a mid range desktop and a 13 inch MBP or MBA for roughly the same cost and a better gaming experience.
    Yeah tbh i dont think ill have much time for gaming, plus i have a ps3 to game on anyway which will be enough.

Kinda torn between the MBA and a 13/15 MBP, but I hear that the MBP should be updated in a few months, so it would probably make more sense to go for the MBA, if a macbook at all... Or this: http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddeta...d=N53SN-SZ085V
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got my 13" MBP!

Couldn't be happier! Fully recommend it for anyone switching from Windows to OS X or even just Mac to Mac.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want a MacBook Pro 15" for my birthday this august!
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA_3d)
    Yeah tbh i dont think ill have much time for gaming, plus i have a ps3 to game on anyway which will be enough.

Kinda torn between the MBA and a 13/15 MBP, but I hear that the MBP should be updated in a few months, so it would probably make more sense to go for the MBA, if a macbook at all... Or this: http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddeta...d=N53SN-SZ085V
    The Pro's release cycle has been somewhat erratic in recent years. Going by the last few years, an annual refresh is to be expected, putting the next release back to early next year. Going by the mean release cycle, we could see a release as early as October. However there's very little point waiting in my opinion, they're already running the top of the line SandyBridge CPUs and there's very little room for improvement outside of the graphics card options.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Pro's release cycle has been somewhat erratic in recent years. Going by the last few years, an annual refresh is to be expected, putting the next release back to early next year. Going by the mean release cycle, we could see a release as early as October. However there's very little point waiting in my opinion, they're already running the top of the line SandyBridge CPUs and there's very little room for improvement outside of the graphics card options.
    Thats true, but if i was to get one in a few days and a new pro comes out even as late as start of next year, id be pretty pissed lol, so confusing!
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AA_3d)
    Thats true, but if i was to get one in a few days and a new pro comes out even as late as start of next year, id be pretty pissed lol, so confusing!
    Meh, at the end of the day technology is at a point where it progresses so quickly that you unless you buy an easily upgradable desktop, you won't have the highest end offering for anything more than a year before it gets replaced. Buy for what you need now, the Pros currently pack the newest technology and you won't be disappointed [=
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick Q: Parents know almost nothing about technology. Decided to surprise me with an 'iPad'. They swear it's an 'iPad 1' but this iPad has front/back cameras. Am I right in concluding that they've bought an iPad 2.

:p:
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Quick Q: Parents know almost nothing about technology. Decided to surprise me with an 'iPad'. They swear it's an 'iPad 1' but this iPad has front/back cameras. Am I right in concluding that they've bought an iPad 2.

Correct, the first gen iPad has no cameras.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought a new MBP just under 2 weeks ago through the HE store. When i check the online about the warranty status it is still just the traditional 1 year warranty. Will this update it self to the 3 year warranty or do I have to contact someone?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

Should have more faith in your parents... and Google!
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel321)
    I bought a new MBP just under 2 weeks ago through the HE store. When i check the online about the warranty status it is still just the traditional 1 year warranty. Will this update it self to the 3 year warranty or do I have to contact someone?
    Go here and put in your Mac's serial number. On the next screen to the side of the picture of your Mac, click "See your service and support coverage". It will tell you if AppleCare has been activated and when it will expire. If it's not in date until 2014 then it hasn't activated, and you'll need to contact Apple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    -is apple doing the deal buy a mac & get an ipod for free?

-can I use an unopen applecare protection plan bought for my previous mbp 17" for a mac air 13"?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    -is apple doing the deal buy a mac & get an ipod for free?

-can I use an unopen applecare protection plan bought for my previous mbp 17" for a mac air 13"?
    They've changed the student dal this year. Instead of an iPod Touch you get a £65 iTunes/iBooks/App Store voucher. Nowhere near as good value, but it's still better than a kick in the teeth.

If I remember correctly any remaining AppleCare can be transferred over, but if not just buy online. All laptops bought from the educational store get 3 years extended warranty for free.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They've changed the student dal this year. Instead of an iPod Touch you get a £65 iTunes/iBooks/App Store voucher. Nowhere near as good value, but it's still better than a kick in the teeth.

If I remember correctly any remaining AppleCare can be transferred over, but if not just buy online. All laptops bought from the educational store get 3 years extended warranty for free.
    Are you sure we get it for free online?

When checking out, it added around £60 for applecare:confused:
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure we get it for free online?

When checking out, it added around £60 for applecare:confused:
    Extended warranty isn't AppleCare. It's the same level of coverage but without the telephone support. It gets added automatically.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Extended warranty isn't AppleCare. It's the same level of coverage but without the telephone support. It gets added automatically.
    ok thanks for your help! if I order online from my campus IP, will I get the itunes/app voucher automatically in the parcel?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for your help! if I order online from my campus IP, will I get the itunes/app voucher automatically in the parcel?
    Im not sure how you receive it, you're better off looking around the mac threads for somebody saying they've recently bought one, they'll be able to give you more info.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Im not sure how you receive it, you're better off looking around the mac threads for somebody saying they've recently bought one, they'll be able to give you more info.
    As a student, can you apply for the apple financial loan?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a student, can you apply for the apple financial loan?
    Yes, you can get financing as student. But odds are if you're having to pay for a MacBook in instalments, you shouldn't really be getting one. Do you really need a Mac, or just want one?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yes, you can get financing as student. But odds are if you're having to pay for a MacBook in instalments, you shouldn't really be getting one. Do you really need a Mac, or just want one?
    I've got the money but I would rather spread the cost because you never know when you need extra-cash. And I travel a lot during winter to ski.

I tried to apply for it, but it asks for the type of employment I've (pension, self employed, retired...) but there isn't an option "student"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 9, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.