The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by destination unknown

I've got the money but I would rather spread the cost because you never know when you need extra-cash. And I travel a lot during winter to ski.

I tried to apply for it, but it asks for the type of employment I've (pension, self employed, retired...) but there isn't an option "student"

It's not an additional option, you have to try and buy the mac through the education store (S you get student pricing) then choose financing at the checkout. There's no student rate of payment, juts the end cost.
Reply 121
Silly question, but does anyone know how long the offer lasts for? I'm sure I want to get a 13" MBP this year and I have my UCAS form for proof, but I just want to make sure I'm good for money before I dive in and buy one X3

ARGH just snooped around the small print and found it myself. Apparently it ends on the 20th of September which is pretty poop :< I won't even have my student finance then!
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Gin
Silly question, but does anyone know how long the offer lasts for? I'm sure I want to get a 13&quot; MBP this year and I have my UCAS form for proof, but I just want to make sure I'm good for money before I dive in and buy one X3

It usually ends mid-late september [=
when choosing the financing option, and after checkout, you're redirected to an RBS online form to fill asking you for your details; then the next page, the employment issue comes. Do you get what I mean?

when choosing the financing option, and after checkout, you're redirected to an RBS online form to fill asking you for your details; then the next page, the employment issue comes. Do you get what I mean?

Afraid not, never had to go that far. All I know is that there is financing available to students, and that you get it through the edu store. You're better off asking in store about it if you want more information.
ok thanks!
Reply 126
I want to get an apple macbook pro 13" but upgrade it. I find this a bit difficult as going instore, they wont be able to upgrade it.

Shall I do it over the phone? I have an unconditonal so Ive got my letter of acceptance. I would rather do it online though.

Also, should I get applecare as its much cheaper on the discount?
Original post by AlH123

Original post by AlH123
I want to get an apple macbook pro 13&quot; but upgrade it. I find this a bit difficult as going instore, they wont be able to upgrade it.

Shall I do it over the phone? I have an unconditonal so Ive got my letter of acceptance. I would rather do it online though.

Also, should I get applecare as its much cheaper on the discount?

What upgrades do you want?

If you order over the phone, you should theoretically get three years free extended warranty. This offers the same level of coverage as AppleCare, minus the 24hr phone support. If you can spare the £50ish it costs, it's not a bad investment.
Reply 128
I would upgrade the ram from 4 GB TO 8GB and the hard drive from 320 something to 500 something?

Could you explain this warrenty a bit more? I probably wouldnt call them up as I could look online to find the problem?

I have a macbook, a 2007 black on which I got apple care for but never used it but I always like protection so want something that would last years.

I dont go gaming but I do download a lot of tv episodes etc but delete them after I watch them. Would it be suitable for a biology student, just using it for word etc. I dont think theres much software I'll need.
Original post by AlH123

Original post by AlH123
I would upgrade the ram from 4 GB TO 8GB and the hard drive from 320 something to 500 something?

Could you explain this warrenty a bit more? I probably wouldnt call them up as I could look online to find the problem?

I have a macbook, a 2007 black on which I got apple care for but never used it but I always like protection so want something that would last years.

I dont go gaming but I do download a lot of tv episodes etc but delete them after I watch them. Would it be suitable for a biology student, just using it for word etc. I dont think theres much software I'll need.

You don't need either of those upgrades, save your money. That amount of RAM is entirely unnecessary, you will never notice it, and it's a hell of a lot more cost effective to buy additional storage if you need more space. A 1TB external drive will cost you £50, compared to the £35 you'll spend for a 180GB jump.

The warranty will cover against all faults with the machine, but not accidental damage. If you buy online or over the phone with a student discount, you get it extended to three years automatically and for free.

Yes, it will be fine for a biology degree, it's what I'll be studying with my Pro next month =P
Reply 130
Im just looking at my mac specs and I think I had 250 something of memory? Is this now gone up to 320? Also I think I hd 2GB of RAM before so I'd be getting 4 now?

My laptop specs now are fine so Im not looking for any specific things, although the screen is broke which is why Im getting a new one.

Oh right. I think I might not get the apple care then. Does apple care cover accidental damage though?

Ok thanks! Where are you studying?
Original post by AlH123

Original post by AlH123
Im just looking at my mac specs and I think I had 250 something of memory? Is this now gone up to 320? Also I think I hd 2GB of RAM before so I'd be getting 4 now?

My laptop specs now are fine so Im not looking for any specific things, although the screen is broke which is why Im getting a new one.

Oh right. I think I might not get the apple care then. Does apple care cover accidental damage though?

Ok thanks! Where are you studying?

Pros have 320GB hard drives and 4GB RAM as standard.

Nope, no accidental damage is covered. You'd need to get fully fledged insurance from a third party for that.

Bolton :\ You?
Reply 132
Hmmm. Maybe Ill look into insurance?

I just looked it up. I had a 2.4Ghz which is now a 2.3 but I had 250GB hard drive and 2GB ram so I dont need to upgrade! :smile: Saving money! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133
Hi
I ordered my Macbook Pro a couple of hours ago now :biggrin:, does anyone know how you can tell what time of the day it will be delivered, on the status thing on Apples website it obviously says it hasnt been shipped yet but the delivery date is likely to be the 24th.
Many Thanks
Can I get this sorted out.

If I ordered on line and I scanned a copy of my acceptance letter and sent it to them, would that be suitable?

Also if I took that letter plus my drivers license to an apple store, could I buy it?
Original post by cstonehouse

If I ordered on line and I scanned a copy of my acceptance letter and sent it to them, would that be suitable?

Also if I took that letter plus my drivers license to an apple store, could I buy it?

In store they just like to see the letter/student card with some ID.
(edited 12 years ago)

you can't officially do it online unless you're using a university network at the time, however you can call the online store and order over the telephone for a HE discount. They will tell you what to do, but your acceptance letter etc is probably fine. Don't buy it from a brick and mortar store though, as you don't get the 3 years free parts warranty even with the HE discount that way.

90% of the time they don't need proof when ordered online. You have to order through an education portal to get the discount though. In store, all they need is the acceptance letter, although if you look really young or are a mature student, taking some form of ID as confirmation might be sensible.

EDIT: Double ninja'd =P

Original post by adam1992
Hi
I ordered my Macbook Pro a couple of hours ago now :biggrin:, does anyone know how you can tell what time of the day it will be delivered, on the status thing on Apples website it obviously says it hasnt been shipped yet but the delivery date is likely to be the 24th.
Many Thanks

You can check your order status here [=
Original post by Magnum Opus
you can't officially do it online unless you're using a university network at the time, however you can call the online store and order over the telephone for a HE discount. They will tell you what to do, but your acceptance letter etc is probably fine. Don't buy it from a brick and mortar store though, as you don't get the 3 years free parts warranty even with the HE discount that way.

Sorry I meant over the phone.
Sorry I meant over the phone.

When ordered over the phone some times they don't ask for proof. I never had to send anything when I ordered a machine over the phone.

If they ask you for proof, they will give you an email address to send your scanned document to and will call you once they receive it :smile:

Latest