Reply 41
Any quantative subject if you ask me. Maths, Economics, CompSci, Engineering
Reply 42
Maths
Physics
Economics
Reply 43
somethingbeautiful
Any - about 60% of grad jobs are not subject specific! Law isn't a good choice if you don't want to be a solicitor/barrister - it seems to close more doors than it opens.

How so? I thought Law was a good degree if you didn't know what you wanted to do, I was going to do law to give myself the most pre-grad options.
Reply 44
Philosophy, Politics and Economics!
A Mathematics degree.
History
Reply 47
Geography for sure! Quantitative and qualitative, arts and science degree. Loads of IT based skills, numerical topics and essay writing. What more could you ask for?
Reply 48
fine art and philosophy
sarahlousie
Really, why would it close doors? I was always under the impression that law was a useful degree which left you with plenty of possible job options. Just shows how much I know about law lol :rolleyes:

Saint
How so? I thought Law was a good degree if you didn't know what you wanted to do, I was going to do law to give myself the most pre-grad options.

If you're anything like I was when I was 18 and you don't actually know what career you want then it's best to do something that you enjoy rather than something that looks like it will lead to a good career in future.
I tried Law to begin with but had absolutely no passion for it - there's no way you can study it for 3 years if you're not actually interested in it.

So job prospects with a Law degree if you don't want to be a lawyer... If it's a qualifying Law degree (LLB) then, personally, you've shot yourself in the foot because if you look at careers post grad (which aren't general grad jobs at Aldi/Barclay's bank etc) then you've got things like Teaching, Graduate entry Medicine etc.

It'll be difficult trying to get onto a PGCE with an LLB (trying to convince admissions of you desire to teach, not you academic ability). Same with Med.
Everyone will want to know "why not law, why have you changed your mind?". BA Law is probably better, but it's not qualifiying so if you do it because you don't know what career you want and then you fall in love with Law you won't be qualified to take the LPC/BVC upon graduation, unless you do postgraduate study (which costs a lot).

If, however, you're not bothered about those professional careers and you'd be happy doing a general grad job then there's no point in studying law in the first place if you're not even that interested in it. Someone with an English/History/Philosophy degree has as much chance as getting the same grad jobs in banks/supermarkets etc etc.

So, unless you actually want to practice law, you'd be better off studying something you enjoy, or if you enjoy law and don't want to practice it - do the BA.

norse defo
Reply 51
It's really difficult to be honest. If you don't know what you want to do, I wouldn't reccomend going to Uni to get a degree.

IBM avoid recruiting graduates for the reason that they prefer to get them before Uni so they can train them for the job appropriately, as opposed to getting someone with a Geography degree who wants to do computer programming - It's utterly pointless.

NVQ Level 5 is good - they cover a wide range of skills that can be applied to many, many jobs, purely because it is more vocational.

If you want to become an astro-physicist, do physics, if you want to be a meteorological scientist, do geography or enviromental studies. But if you want a wide range of APPLICABLE skills, do an NVQ Level 5 in something.
History.
university of life mate
Reply 54
Engineering degree
somethingbeautiful
If you're anything like I was when I was 18 and you don't actually know what career you want then it's best to do something that you enjoy rather than something that looks like it will lead to a good career in future.
I tried Law to begin with but had absolutely no passion for it - there's no way you can study it for 3 years if you're not actually interested in it.

So job prospects with a Law degree if you don't want to be a lawyer... If it's a qualifying Law degree (LLB) then, personally, you've shot yourself in the foot because if you look at careers post grad (which aren't general grad jobs at Aldi/Barclay's bank etc) then you've got things like Teaching, Graduate entry Medicine etc.

It'll be difficult trying to get onto a PGCE with an LLB (trying to convince admissions of you desire to teach, not you academic ability). Same with Med.
Everyone will want to know "why not law, why have you changed your mind?". BA Law is probably better, but it's not qualifiying so if you do it because you don't know what career you want and then you fall in love with Law you won't be qualified to take the LPC/BVC upon graduation, unless you do postgraduate study (which costs a lot).

If, however, you're not bothered about those professional careers and you'd be happy doing a general grad job then there's no point in studying law in the first place if you're not even that interested in it. Someone with an English/History/Philosophy degree has as much chance as getting the same grad jobs in banks/supermarkets etc etc.

So, unless you actually want to practice law, you'd be better off studying something you enjoy, or if you enjoy law and don't want to practice it - do the BA.

I think you may have put too much stock on the whole QLD or not. Just seems odd.

Also, just because you don't like law doesn't mean that other people can't find it interesting (I do!) - I think Law is one of the most versatile degrees BUT something that's quantitative is even better,
Reply 56
What about Natural Sciences or Chemical Engineering o.O?
ITT: People with no graduate marketplace experience giving advice about the graduate marketplace.
I Like Pizza
Engineering!!

Latest