The Student Room Group

RAF Driver (Logistics)

Hi currently waiting for my trade to open with RAF, does anybody know the answer to this question or will call afco if nobody knows.

Additional Requirements
if you allready have a full driving license, you must not have any endorsed penalty points or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license...

Ok i have three points on my full driving license for speeding, would this prevent me from doing this trade?
Go and ask at the Careers Office.
alimartin888
Hi currently waiting for my trade to open with RAF, does anybody know the answer to this question or will call afco if nobody knows.

Additional Requirements
if you allready have a full driving license, you must not have any endorsed penalty points or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license...

Ok i have three points on my full driving license for speeding, would this prevent me from doing this trade?

If you have any endorsed penalty points (i.e ones which are written on the paper part of your driving licence, which you would get for speeding) then you don't meet the requirements.
Reply 3
Rizzletastic you have only highlighted half the sentence;

"you must not have any endorsed penalty points or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

Question is do speeding points prevent you from holding a lgv license? Not a question I can answer... easiest way to find out would be to give your local AFCO a ring.
Reply 4
jon33
Rizzletastic you have only highlighted half the sentence;

"you must not have any endorsed penalty points or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

Question is do speeding points prevent you from holding a lgv license? Not a question I can answer... easiest way to find out would be to give your local AFCO a ring.

Rizzle did not need to highlight the whole sentence, it says OR a driving ban which would... not AND a driving ban.
I think the meaning is slightly ambiguous...a comma in the right place would be handy here!
Reply 6
"you must not have any endorsed penalty points which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

"or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

That is it how it reads, I would imagine some penalties would stop you from having a lgv such as dangerous driving for example.
Reply 7
thanks guys, will call afco... your comments made me chuckle! lets just hope they dont want an A in english language to! lol
Reply 8
jon33
"you must not have any endorsed penalty points which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

"or a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

That is it how it reads, I would imagine some penalties would stop you from having a lgv such as dangerous driving for example.

I agree with you, however to play devils advocate:

"you must not have any endorsed penalty points"

"you must not have a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

Doesn't something like 70% of the population have an SP30?
Reply 9
Schleigg
I agree with you, however to play devils advocate:

"you must not have any endorsed penalty points"

"you must not have a driving ban which would prevent you from holding a lgv license..."

Doesn't something like 70% of the population have an SP30?

I doubt it is that high, none the less, very good point.

Then again, with the amount of applicants at the moment they can easily pick and choose between those with and without points on their license.
Reply 10
Did you call the AFCO alimartin888?
Reply 11
I can promise that speeding points will not stop you becoming a driver in the RAF.
I've made a few calls - we'll break this into 2 parts:

A young driver who collects 6 points within the first 2 years of their test gets their license revoked and must learn again from the start. Why would anyone employing someone as a professional driver take that risk? Even if they were more than 2 years after their test would you employ someone with a clean license or someone with points?

However....

The RAF is recruiting 5 Drivers this year - they are already selected.
They will not be recruiting any more during 2010-11 or 2011-12. Thats pretty hot information.
Reply 13
ProStacker
The RAF is recruiting 5 Drivers this year - they are already selected.
They will not be recruiting any more during 2010-11 or 2011-12. Thats pretty hot information.

Just in relation to that do you have any idea what the recruitment situation is for Logistics Officers?
9 per year for the next couple of years ie one course a year.
Reply 15
ProStacker
9 per year for the next couple of years ie one course a year.

Are you able to find out how many IT Technicians they're looking for this year?

Already applied and got my AST next week, just curious how many they're actually looking for.
Naigan
Are you able to find out how many IT Technicians they're looking for this year?

Nope - sorry. Not my area.