The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by posthumus
Thank you for your helpful response :biggrin:

May I just ask further what kind of hostels you recommend then to meet solo travellers?

Also I kind of dislike to meet the kind of anti-social behaviour people (if that makes sense) you can meet in hostels...
... is it right to assume the more I pay for a hostel, the less likely I am to stay with people like this?

I hope I am not sounding arrogant and judgemental there :tongue:

I would recommend reading as many reviews as possible about the particular hostel you're looking at to see if it's a particularly social one (ie tripadvisor/hostelworld/hostelbookers etc), as these give you the best idea.

I can't say in all the hostels I've stayed in that I've ever come across people behaving antisocially. Everyone I've met has been really respectful. Maybe I've just been lucky/picked good hostels! I wouldn't necessarily think that the price would have too much to do with this though, personally. I'm sure you could still get the odd idiot in an expensive hostel compared to a cheaper one. As I say, not really something I've ever had to deal with!
Reply 2101
Airbnbs or hostel?!
Original post by dmz
Airbnbs or hostel?!

Depends who you're going with, what kind of person you are, and how much money you're willing to spend.
Reply 2103
Original post by pizzanomics
Depends who you're going with, what kind of person you are, and how much money you're willing to spend.

30 days, mostly in spain portugal france and italy, still working my route out, about 2K, flexible. alone for majority of it, meeting friends on the way, I'm pretty sociable, i like going out but safety is also a thing for me which puts me off hostels a tad
Hi, can anyone help us with a route, looking to go for 2 weeks, and Berlin and Amsterdam are top of our list of places to go, pretty open to any other places! Quite flexible with budget. Thanks!
hey folks

off inter railing on the 3rd of may to:

Amsterdam (3 nights)
>>Train to Berlin
Berlin (3 nights)
>>Train to Prague
Prague (2 nights)
>>Sleeper to Krakow
Krakow (2 nights)
>>Sleeper to Vienna
Vienna (2 nights)
>>Train to Bratislava
Bratislava (1 nights)
>>Train to Budapest
Budapest (3 nights)
>>Train to Belgrade
Belgrade (2 nights)
>>Train to Zagreb
Zagreb (2 nights)
>>Train to Ljubljana
Ljubljana (2 nights)
>>Train to Venice
Venice (2 nights)
>>Train to Rome
Rome (3 nights)
>>Train to Florence
Florence (2 nights)
>>Train to Nice
Nice (2 nights)
>>Train to Barcelona
Barcelona (3 nights)
>>Train to Paris
Paris (2 nights)

going alone so would appreciate the company if anyone is doing the same/similar?
In February this year, I did London St Pancreas > Brussels Midi Station > Luxembourg. :smile:
Finally finished booking (and tweaking) my interrail this summer.. :biggrin:

I'm going alone for the majority (have got company for a couple of stops) so have spent a fair while looking at all the safety tips etc but can't wait to go... Just got to get my finals out of the way first :colonhash: :beard:

First stop Amsterdam... 46 days to go :u:
If anyone can reply to this thread about travelling it would be really appreciated!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4018611

Thanks
What's the best option of leaving the UK?

By best I mean cheapest, easiest to get to etc
Planning to head out in early June, should I be booking my flights now?

Also is it probably wise to book hostels now in advance?

Booking on the go would be ideal, but I'm assuming will be expensive and availability may be an issue.

Thanks.
Planning to head out in early June, should I be booking my flights now?

Also is it probably wise to book hostels now in advance?

Booking on the go would be ideal, but I'm assuming will be expensive and availability may be an issue.

Thanks.

Hey, I'm going in August and I've used booking.com to book all the hostels, they have a 'book now pay later' feature for some hostels which can be pretty handy if you're still saving up (like me lol) plus most of the hostels I've booked allow you to cancel for free up to 1/2 days before check-in, so you could always cancel if you find a better deal or your plans change :smile: and I'd say book flights now, before they go up - it's a myth that last minute is always cheaper!
Soooo.... My interrailing plans for August are:

London - Berlin (flight) 29th June, stay till 1st Aug when my one month pass will begin 😄
Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest - Zagreb - Ljubljana - Pisa - Marseille - London

So excited 😁😁😁 just need to get saving now!!
Original post by Clean Slate
What's the best option of leaving the UK?

By best I mean cheapest, easiest to get to etc

Depends where and when you're going, but I'd say a Ryanair flight. You can get them for £10/£20 😉
Original post by jhumfy
Hey, I'm going in August and I've used booking.com to book all the hostels, they have a 'book now pay later' feature for some hostels which can be pretty handy if you're still saving up (like me lol) plus most of the hostels I've booked allow you to cancel for free up to 1/2 days before check-in, so you could always cancel if you find a better deal or your plans change :smile: and I'd say book flights now, before they go up - it's a myth that last minute is always cheaper!

Ah yes of course, thank you so much! :biggrin:
Ah yes of course, thank you so much! :biggrin:

No probs :smile: I had to cancel all mine and re-think the route cos I'd booked them all as if I was getting an overnight train to the next place 🙄

I'm considering just getting a flight out to Brussels on the 1st Aug cos they're £19.99 from Manchester and then just using booking.com and going wherever the cheapest hostels take me 😂😂
I set off to the airport in an hour. Eeek, I'm nervous!

One thing I am worried about, on the app and the Interrail website it says that "not all trains are included in the Interrail pass". How are you supposed to know which are? I know on the app it lists all the participating railway companies, but there's no way to find out if the train you want is operated by any of those companies?
I don't want to get on a train and find out that my pass isn't valid and get fined or in trouble.
Original post by calicocat
I set off to the airport in an hour. Eeek, I'm nervous!

One thing I am worried about, on the app and the Interrail website it says that "not all trains are included in the Interrail pass". How are you supposed to know which are? I know on the app it lists all the participating railway companies, but there's no way to find out if the train you want is operated by any of those companies?
I don't want to get on a train and find out that my pass isn't valid and get fined or in trouble.

I'm so jealous, I have 2 weeks to wait before I go..!

Re the trains, I'm not 100% sure.. From what I've gathered it means check the train requirements bit (so where it says 1st class reservation possible etc) because some of them come up as normal but when you click on the train its not included in a second class pass (for example: the Leonardo Express Train between Fiumacino and Rome Termini just appears as a normal regional train but comes up as first class only when you go onto train details!)

There are also a few small independent rail companies that don't operate with interrail, but they're usually not even on the timetable thing.. If you're sticking to main routes and high speed, I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't :colondollar:

Have fun!! :u:
I'm literally dying trying to revise Animal Disease for my final on Thursday when all I can think about is going away :colonhash:
Today's my day - see you this afternoon Amsterdam :u:

If anyone wants to follow where I am (read: if even an idiot can travel alone in Europe!!) then I'm blogging from here www.railcardsatdawn.wordpress.com - I'm happy to answer any questions while I'm out there about passes etc if people think of anything, just drop me a comment on there and I'll pick it up ASAP (you shouldn't need an account :u:)

Bye :wavey:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest