The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Me and my friend are going for 22 days, but we're visiting as many places as we can, has anyone got any backpacks they would recommend for such a trip?:smile:
Reply 2121
Hi all,

Just returned from a 22 day trip and wanted to let you know that the prepaid money card is a great way to go for multi-destination trips! I used the Escape travel card and it made it really easy to spend money without having to carry cash (I always worry about getting cash stolen!) and you don't have to bother with buying currency either.

Hope you all have great trips!
Original post by KirstyG_psbkj
Me and my friend are going for 22 days, but we're visiting as many places as we can, has anyone got any backpacks they would recommend for such a trip?:smile:

Osprey Talon 44L - actually carries more if you need it to, lightweight and comfortable pack, pricey but I love it. Only downside is its not waterproof, but you can buy a sack cover if need be.
Previously have used Berghaus 44L and a Peter Storm 39L which have been ok, fit wasn't so good for both and both sacks were a bit heavier.

(I'm of the travel light school and carry the same amount as I would for 2-3 days as for 35 days if interrailing/travelling).
Amsterdam cologne/rotterdam berlin prague krakow –vienna - (bratislava) - budapest Zagreb - ljubjana - munich

is this an okay route and is there any good places we are missing on the way

hope to do it in 28 days
That looks great. Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Zagreb and Ljubljana are all great places (haven't been to the rest). You could throw in Salzburg on the way to Munich?
Hi all,

Im planning on going interrailing for a month in summer 2017.

My trip looks like this so far:
London
Paris
Amsterdam
Berlin
Prague
Budapest
Rome
Florence
Venice
Milan
Monaco

Is this too many places? Anyone recommend any good value for money hostels or places to visit in this area? Any comments at all would be really helpful!!! Thanks so much!

Also which pass would be recommended? would 15 days in a month one be sufficient??

Also what is the best way of getting from amsterdam to berlin? is there a night train?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone!
I've been wanting to do interailing for ages now, but no one I know has the time or money to do so. So next summer I'll hopefully be taking the plunge and going solo!

Has anyone travelled as a solo female before? The idea of it scares me a little, especially with all these horror stories of young women going missing, and the state Europe is slowly getting into at the moment! I don't want to be put off, but naturally I am anxious!

The route I roughly want to take is;
Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Munich (Germany) - (maybe, not sure about this one as already been there before years ago, and I've heard it's not the safest of places at the moment)
Salzburg (Austria)
Split (Croatia)
Rome (Italy)
Venice (Italy)
Nice (France)
Paris (France)
Home!

Of course, if anyone has any recommendations on routes and place to go, please share! All advise much appreciated!
Me and my friend will be going around Europe, we'd probably be using buses to get around (cheaper + overnight 'accommodation') at the end of May.

We have a list of countries we want to go to but we're a bit short for time. We may do half of it in 24th May-13th June and the other half 15th Aug-10th Sep. The first bit is a definite.

We're two guys aged, 20 and 22, anyone is welcome to tag along or meet us at some point. Message me if you're curious/want to plan with us
Currently planning on interrailing alone in August. Don't have a definite plan of where I'll be going as I only decided to do this a few days ago, but I have a rough idea of where I wish to go.

Just wondering a couple of things. First, is anyone else going then and is interested in meeting up/planning together? Second, am I good just hitting up the main cities in each country, as this is my first time travelling around europe, or will I be missing out on a lot doing that?

Also, any other general advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
I'd like some advice on whether to get 10 or 15 days in a month.
My route is from Devon-London-Brussels-Amsterdam (wanted to do one long day, but it's going to take me 4h just to get to London and the first train is at 8am so I'll have to rethink this)-Berlin-Prague-Krakow-Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest-Zagreb-Ljubljana-Florence-Rome. And then fly back to London and pay for a train home (as the pass will expire in Rome). So, that's 11 travel days.
Going from Florence to Rome is about 41 euros and would require a booking fee anyway, so I don't know whether to just get the 10 days of travel and pay for that trip outright. I'd also go to Lake Bled from Ljubljana but that's only like 8 euros each way, and possibly to Pisa from Florence but again, it's only 8 euros each way.

So in your opinion, is it worth paying the extra £60 for 15 days in a month, or should I just get 10 and pay for Ljubljana-Bled and Florence-Rome?
I'm doubting whether the pass is even worth it in the first place? Seems to be about the same price as paying for point-point trips, especially with reservation fees.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jayniex
Hi everyone!
I've been wanting to do interailing for ages now, but no one I know has the time or money to do so. So next summer I'll hopefully be taking the plunge and going solo!

Has anyone travelled as a solo female before? The idea of it scares me a little, especially with all these horror stories of young women going missing, and the state Europe is slowly getting into at the moment! I don't want to be put off, but naturally I am anxious!

The route I roughly want to take is;
Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Munich (Germany) - (maybe, not sure about this one as already been there before years ago, and I've heard it's not the safest of places at the moment)
Salzburg (Austria)
Split (Croatia)
Rome (Italy)
Venice (Italy)
Nice (France)
Paris (France)
Home!

Of course, if anyone has any recommendations on routes and place to go, please share! All advise much appreciated!

I really really enjoyed Prague, and other people who have been have never been let down. I think you could fit it in between Munich and Salzburg. Or, skip Munich since you have some reservations about it and go Prague instead.
Reply 2131
Hi, I will be visiting Prague as one of my stops - can you suggest what things I should do and book in advance. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl looking to go on a three week trip alone next June/July - if anybody else is going around then feel free to message me. Can anyone recommend hostels in any of the following cities? I'm not looking for party hostels but I want to go places I can meet people and go to activities (i.e. bar crawls). Thanks!
Brussels
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Berlin
Prague
Vienna
Bratislava
Budapest
Original post by tasha.ormrod
Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl looking to go on a three week trip alone next June/July - if anybody else is going around then feel free to message me. Can anyone recommend hostels in any of the following cities? I'm not looking for party hostels but I want to go places I can meet people and go to activities (i.e. bar crawls). Thanks!
Brussels
Amsterdam
Hamburg
Berlin
Prague
Vienna
Bratislava
Budapest

Clink Nord hostel is lush in Amsterdam. Only a 3 minute walk from the free ferries that go accross the canals and connect you to the main train terminal.

Prague - AVOID 1Bed4U at all costs 😂

I stayed in Meninger chain hotels in Berlin and Vienna. Was so nice for a change to have my own room, shower and space for 2 nights! There are also quite often discounts and sales on them too (they're like our travelodge, not great for meeting people but PERFECT for Netflix one evening and you don't have to sociable) x
Original post by will504
you have to state the day you want the pass to start so its not quite as simple as it starting on the first day you choose to start travelling. Obviously you would start the pass on the day you want to leave Amsterdam though.

also, depending on where you live, it may be a lot cheaper to start your rail travel in the UK instead of flying to amsterdam
http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/

Gender: male Policy Start Date: Full name: DOB: Full Address: Car Reg: Make & Model: Month & Year car was bought: Value of vehicle: Pass date (mm/yyyy): What year you came to UK: Driving License Number: No. Of NCB: 0 Points, Convictions or Claims: none Mobile No: Email: Occupation: Current quote (without black box): Who gave you that quote: Paying monthly or one off: monthly (Additional Drivers:smile: Relationship with additional driver: Gender: Name: DOB: License Held Time: Occupation: Address (if different):
Hiya!
Me and three friends had planned an interrail trip this July but we can't go anymore. We're able to exchange our passes and replace them with new ones, so if anyone was interested in travelling before July 1st 2019 we are looking to sell our passes at a discounted price. It's the 15 days within a months travel, which is £339 on the interrail site but we will sell them for £300!
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest