The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
How much did you guys spend per day on sightseeing/food (everything but flights and accommodations and intercity travel) etc

Is 25 EUR a day enough - I have feeling it isn't, but meh.
Reply 61
GarageMc
How much did you guys spend per day on sightseeing/food (everything but flights and accommodations and intercity travel) etc

Is 25 EUR a day enough - I have feeling it isn't, but meh.

Yeah should be fine. We were spending about 30 including accommodation, so like 15 on other stuff on average.
Reply 62
Hey,

Im planning to leave July 1st with 5 friends...
I have a question about money and accommodation.

1) Is £1000 euros enough to survive 22 days interrailing?
2) Do you need to book hostels before or do you just turn up?
Reply 63
Gabe9999
Hey,

Im planning to leave July 1st with 5 friends...
I have a question about money and accommodation.

1) Is £1000 euros enough to survive 22 days interrailing?
2) Do you need to book hostels before or do you just turn up?

!) Does the £1000 exclude the ticket price? If so then that will be fine. Some places are more expensive than others, bear in mind.

2) Depends on the time of year. mid summer - i'd book at least the first place you stay in and if you find lots of places have spaces then not bother in the future. If they are busy, book ahead where possible to avoid the hassle of tracking down a place.
Reply 64
I'm 18 and thinking of spending about three weeks Interrailing this summer before I go to uni, mainly in Eastern Europe. I've asked around and none of my close friends can afford to come or are particularly interested, and although I'd be happy going with someone I don't know so well, I'd feel a bit stupid just putting a message around on Facebook or something!

I did go Interrailing last summer on my own for two weeks, and although I mostly really enjoyed it, I did find it a bit of a lonely experience at times - I'm really surprised at the number of people on here, as I hardly came across any Brits my sort of age, and the only ones I did meet seemed to be couples or in groups, so it was sometimes slightly awkward feeling like I was 'tagging along' with them: most people I met seemed to be slightly older Australians and Germans etc.! I think maybe my mistake was to spend too short a time in a lot of places - I felt a lot of the time that once I'd gone out for a drink or on a trip with some people and bonded with them, it was time for one or other of us to move on.

Obviously I'm a year older now, I've had the experience of doing it before and I feel I'm a lot more outgoing and confident than I was a year ago - so I'd be happy to try it again if anyone can give me some advice on where to go and stay etc. to have more chance of coming across like-minded young people.

By the way, the itinerary I've sketched out so far is:

Paris
Munich
Ljubljana/Lake Bled
Split/Hvar
Sarajevo
Belgrade
Bulgaria (I've heard Plovdiv is a lot nicer than Sofia!)
Istanbul - fly back to London

Anyone got any general tips on these places?

Sorry for the essay!
Reply 65
If anyone's interested, here's my itinerary and thoughts on the places I went last year:

Lille - pleasant but dull, no other travellers (only stayed there for a night as the train from Paris to Amsterdam is really expensive and Brussels was full!)

Amsterdam - incredible city, nightlife and general atmosphere/cafes are great, and the art galleries are amazing and really cheap if you're into that sort of thing! On the other hand, it's quite expensive and touristy, and some of the hostels are over 18s only - so I ended up in the official youth hostel, which was fine but pricey, a bit institutional and full of school groups.

Berlin - possibly my favourite city of my whole trip! The hostel I was at was amazing, annoyingly I can't remember the name of it right now but I'll post it on here when I do. Incredible edgy, arty, bohemian feel, especially in the east around Warschauer Strasse. The lesser-known sights are better in my opinion - I've got really interested in the history of East Germany through studying it at school, so I went to the DDR Museum in the centre, which is really informative but fun and accessible, and got the tram out to the old Stasi political prison at Hohenschonhausen, which was a really interesting if harrowing experience. Tours in English only happen once a week though!

Prague - Beautiful if a little touristy, cheap and a really good introduction to Eastern Europe. Not so much in the way of big sights but the general atmosphere and architecture is really good, and for the evenings there's excellent cheap beer and good nightlife!

Vienna - spent a day there before catching a night train, would like to spend more time there!

Rome - Incredible city, the main sights are cheap or free and unforgettable! It's really easy to get off the tourist trail, just walking around is the best way to enjoy it as there's something interesting round every corner. The food from the backstreet pizzerias and restaurants is amazing and affordable on a budget - go for the places with really short, Italian-only menus, and avoid anywhere on a main square, in sight of a tourist attraction or with multilingual signs and photos of the food! The only downside for me was the accommodation - the hostel everyone seems to recommend, Alessandro's, was full, so I ended up in this really hot, cramped place spread over two floors of a dusty apartment block, with surly staff who spoke almost no English, no bar or social area, and where the heavily advertised "free pasta every night" turned out to come out of a packet!
i've been toying around with the idea of inter railing for aaaages... but i really really want to go with a friend rather than on my own. i appreciate it can still be fun etc going on your own and meeting people on the fly,
but i just feel that doing it with someone u know beforehand and seeing the sights of a city with someone u know, is more fun than doing it with someone you have known for like half a day or 30 minutes.

we will see, none of my friends are available or up for it, so unless i find someone, when push comes to shove i may just end up going alone.
:woo: :gah:
I go in 6 days. Can't wait, going to
Krakow
Vienna
Budapest
Ljubljana
Split
Rome
For 2 weeks :biggrin: :eek3:
Reply 68
I'm looking at the end of August with a couple of mates:
Berlin 3 nights
Prague 2 nights
Bratislava 2 nights
Budapest 2 nights
Zagreb 2 nights
Belgrade 2 nights
5 in 10 day pass should do it!
Anyone got recommendations for hostels?
I'm looking at Generator in Berlin but other than that I'm open to /hoping for suggestions!
Reply 69
elli_emc
I'm looking at the end of August with a couple of mates:
Berlin 3 nights
Prague 2 nights
Bratislava 2 nights
Budapest 2 nights
Zagreb 2 nights
Belgrade 2 nights
5 in 10 day pass should do it!
Anyone got recommendations for hostels?
I'm looking at Generator in Berlin but other than that I'm open to /hoping for suggestions!

I've stayed at the Generator, really really good for the price. The bar is great for meeting people and the tram is just outside and gets you anywhere cheap and fast :smile: Have a great time, Berlin and Prague are both awesome places. They're the only two I've been to, but I'm going again from August for 26 days and I'll be going to Budapest and Zagreb from the ones you listed. Who knows, maybe see you there :p:
Hey guys

My friend and I have recently decided to do Interrail, after months of umming and ahhing about going on STA tours or doing Busabout or blah blah blah. Anyway; Interrail is the plan.

Thing is, we are complete novices about the whole thing. I've been researching the hell out of it for the past day or so, but I just wanted to know what is feasible with the travelling 5 days in 10 days pass (or whatever it's called :p: )

We know roughly where we want to go (Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia) but just want to know how far you can go/what you can do with 5 days of travel? Is that quite a lot, or is it only enough to do a little? Everybody's blogs or threads about it seem to be about the longer trips.

The 22 days one is out of question due to price/time limit, we are happy with the 10, just want to learn from someone more experienced with the whole thing to tell us what exactly is possible with the 10 day pass. Had a search around this forum too which has been very informative, but still haven't got my head around what sort of thing we could plan with this 10 day pass!

Thanks guys :biggrin:
I've planned and timed a 1 month Interrail trip to do next summer and it's surpising how much is actually possible in a short space of time if you don't mind paying sleeper supplements.

For instance this is what you can do in a month spending 1 to 4 days in each place and with 6 days leeway.

London - Brussels - Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Rome - Geneva - Marseilles - Barcelona - Paris - (Belguim if there's time) - London

In 5 days we would have covered London - Copenhagen and in 10 days London - Vienna

In order to increase your travel distance you might want to travel out by train then buy EasyJet/Ryanair flights home so you can get a lot further without having account a day or two for travelling home. It also means you can spend more time in your final destination without having to buy a longer Interrail pass.
Norfolkadam
I've planned and timed a 1 month Interrail trip to do next summer and it's surpising how much is actually possible in a short space of time if you don't mind paying sleeper supplements.

For instance this is what you can do in a month spending 1 to 4 days in each place and with 6 days leeway.

London - Brussels - Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Rome - Geneva - Marseilles - Barcelona - Paris - (Belguim if there's time) - London

In 5 days we would have covered London - Copenhagen and in 10 days London - Vienna

In order to increase your travel distance you might want to travel out by train then buy EasyJet/Ryanair flights home so you can get a lot further without having account a day or two for travelling home. It also means you can spend more time in your final destination without having to buy a longer Interrail pass.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

yes we were thinking of getting a flight from the finishing point back home rather than use up the days trying to do a loop.

We were definitely thinking of doing sleeper trains, seemed a good idea for the bit extra money with hostels occasionally.

Still a bit unsure about whether we're going to be able to go to all the places we want....hmmm

EDIT: Also, will a 45 l backpack be Ok for the ten day trip? Too much? Not enough?
Hi!

I'm gonna use the interail ticket for 4 countries, 15 days continous. I'm looking to buy travel insurance but i'm confused if my holiday can be considered a 'single trip'?

Also does anyone know any good places where i can buy travel insurance for this kind of trip at a reasonable price?

for those countries consider the possibility of using coaches and whether the price of the tickets is less than the interrail- which is often the case (interrail prices were designed for western europe).

plus 5 days travel is rather constricting- in this case interrail is actually reducing your freedom...
Bummmmmmp :frown:
Ilios_Lampros
for those countries consider the possibility of using coaches and whether the price of the tickets is less than the interrail- which is often the case (interrail prices were designed for western europe).

plus 5 days travel is rather constricting- in this case interrail is actually reducing your freedom...

yea i was wondering this.. is it true that if you are travelling around eastern europe.. you'd be best off buying your tickets on the fly as and when you need them??
i've heard that from some ppl before... but wasn't sure just how much of a difference there is between buying an interrail ticket and going round e europe or just buying them as u go. is it six and 2 threes or is there actually a big differenc.e
Reply 77
Currently on my gap year, and before I go uni I would love to have an interrailing experience except none of my friends can afford it :frown: I'm looking for someone to go with,so if you're interested in having a memorable experience let me know:smile:
its probably cheaper doing it 'on the fly' but not massively so.. for the balkans anyway

you should probably calculate it yourself though
Ilios_Lampros

Well we haven't decided for certain we are just doing Balkans, those are just some of the places we may go to, for example go to other places before finishing up in Croatia, etc. We do have other idees too. I've read busses are the best around the Balkans.

. And others do the 5 days travel thing and have a good time so don't see that that's a problem really, and we can always tack on our own little trips on either side.

I'm more thinking about what's possible with that travel time.

Quick Reply

Latest