The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EssexDan86
Serious!? That's about enough for a long weekend! I'm going for 15nights and taking a Berghaus Jalan 60L backpack with detachable 15L day pack, and that'll just about be enough at a squeeze! What did you do about clothes etc - were you washing on the go rather than taking enough for the whole trip?

We'll be going out at night etc so need a few evening clothes and smart shoes, plus the climate will change a fair amount from north to south as it's spring, so gonna need different types of clothes - hoody/jumpers as well as shorts. Then theres all the other stuff - books, multitool, chargers, speakers, toiletries, camera, playing cards, waterproof coat, hat, printouts etc. Not to mention leaving space to take home a few souvenirs. I think I'm a heavy traveller! :smile:

I took a 60L on a 6 month trip around Australia and that was too much, pack light! Having too much stuff is a pain and you only end up dumping it along the way.
Reply 901
Anyone suggest bringing a laptop? I think it would be handy for searching for hotel, train info etc. Or is it better to find something like a internet cafe, do those still exist?
Original post by bhoyjd
Anyone suggest bringing a laptop? I think it would be handy for searching for hotel, train info etc. Or is it better to find something like a internet cafe, do those still exist?

I'm preparing to go travelling for the first time this summer and from my reading and shiz, I think it's going to be a lot nicer not having a laptop on your back, I mean I know I'm not gonna cos mine's a 15" and also I would die if anything happened to it, most hostels seem to have WiFi (so could use your phone?) and/or a computer you can use plus yeah, internet cafés (anyone who has actually been travelling feel free to correct me on this!).
Reply 903
Original post by takethyfacehence
I'm preparing to go travelling for the first time this summer and from my reading and shiz, I think it's going to be a lot nicer not having a laptop on your back, I mean I know I'm not gonna cos mine's a 15" and also I would die if anything happened to it, most hostels seem to have WiFi (so could use your phone?) and/or a computer you can use plus yeah, internet cafés (anyone who has actually been travelling feel free to correct me on this!).

Yeah using my phone should be fine, thanks wasn't even thinking about that.
Reply 904
Original post by bhoyjd

Most hostels that I stayed in had computers and free internet access, so you can plan trains, other hostels from there.If there aren't any available computers, staff should be able to direct you to internet cafés, there seemed to be plenty around when I went interrailling. Don't bother lugging your laptop around, it would only be an unecessary worry.
Reply 905
How do I book hostels without a laptop while travelling? I use hostelbookers.com, can I book using a phone? Or would it be easier to phone them?
Reply 906
Original post by f778
How do I book hostels without a laptop while travelling? I use hostelbookers.com, can I book using a phone? Or would it be easier to phone them?

In the majority of hostels, there will be communal computers that you can use to book hostels a few days in advance :smile:
If not, there is always internet cafes. Or your phones wifi.
Reply 907
Original post by .Scout.
In the majority of hostels, there will be communal computers that you can use to book hostels a few days in advance :smile:
If not, there is always internet cafes. Or your phones wifi.

Good advice. Thanks

Do you know anything about reserving seats? It doesn't look like I can do it online, and I guess it might be risky to do it right before departing at the station, especially at peak season.
Reply 908
Original post by f778
Good advice. Thanks

Do you know anything about reserving seats? It doesn't look like I can do it online, and I guess it might be risky to do it right before departing at the station, especially at peak season.

In my experience, I didn't need to reserve seats for the vast majority of my journeys. However, when I did need to, I just went to the station the day before and resevered a seat.

Like you said though, it may be different in peak season/super popular routes. Plus, I didn't make any journeys that required me to reserve (as I think there are some restrictions/additional surcharges on some of the interrail journeys?).

For longer journeys, I just made sure I was down the station early so I could nab a compartment on the train :biggrin:
is it worth bringing a sleeping bag or bed sheets or anything like that?
i'm off for about 3 and a half weeks (amsterdam, hamburg, berlin, prauge, krakiow, warsaw, budapest, zagreb, split) and some revues of the hostels we're staying in talk about copius amounts of bed bugs and the one in Amsterdam mentions cockroaches?
Reply 910
Original post by adamsearle
i'm off for about 3 and a half weeks (amsterdam, hamburg, berlin, prauge, krakiow, warsaw, budapest, zagreb, split) and some revues of the hostels we're staying in talk about copius amounts of bed bugs and the one in Amsterdam mentions cockroaches?

I didn't take one and was fine.

I was careful though to make sure that I booked hostels that included bedding, as I found on hostelworld, that some didn't. I guess you wither lug one around, or just risk it and hope you wont need one.

Also some of the hostels I stayed at had pretty bad reviews but personally didn't experience begbugs or anything *itch,itch scratch*
Reply 911
Original post by adamsearle

Unless you're thinking of camping, I really wouldn't. That may have been the case 5-10 years ago, but most hostels now are relatively clean and there may be the odd bedbug at places, but I really wouldn't worry.

We did have one bad experience with some ants in Venice, but the staff were really helpful and it was sorted within ten minutes.

This is related somewhat, but also refers to the main thread, but i really wouldn't worry too much about booking all your hostels in advance/having internet on the go/pre-booking reservations. I know that doing something like this for the first time is really daunting, but having a "lack" of worrying about things like that made my trip so much more fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Some of the older style hostels will request that you use your own sheets, although they normally supply some for a small surcharge. Personally I think it's worth taking a sleeping bag liner - They're very lightweight, cover off the above and also give you something to kip in on night trains.
My friend seems to think bringing a prepaid card is a must - would anyone else recommend it? To me it just seems like an extra way to spend money on nothing?
Reply 914
Original post by signalnoise
My friend seems to think bringing a prepaid card is a must - would anyone else recommend it? To me it just seems like an extra way to spend money on nothing?

I guess it depends on how long you are away for/ how much money you plan on needing but personally, I think a prepaid card is essential.

1. It saves you from carrying actual cash around. I know I would have worried like crazy if I had to have ALL my cash for my entire trip in my bag.

2. Banks put craaaaazy debit card charges abroad. So if you withdraw money or even pay for something in shops you will be stuck with a fine, everytime.

3. Lose your prepaid card? Your card can be cancelled and you can be sent a new one.

4. If you run out of money, you can transfer more online. And your parents/whoever can add more money from England if necessary. If you don't use all your money, you can take it off the card at the end of the trip.

Basically it's a safe, cheap, convenient way of spending moeny abroad.
Reply 915
Original post by signalnoise

No. Get yourself a Nationwide current account and use their debit card. It still charges for overseas transactions but it's fixed at £1 rather than (like other accounts) charging a percentage based on the total transaction amount. So if you withdraw the equivalent of £100 a time, you're paying a 1% fee. £100 a time may seem a lot but that's what I did when I was in Asia. At some points in Vietnam I was withdrawing millions of the local currency at once. Doesn't matter as long as you have your head screwed on, you'll be fine.

While I haven't looked deeply into prepaid cards, the times I do read about them always seem to be giving negative feedback.

Credit cards are generally cheaper but can be a hassle to pay off if you're on the road for a long time.

Have a read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
Reply 916
Original post by Olibert
No. Get yourself a Nationwide current account and use their debit card. It still charges for overseas transactions but it's fixed at £1 rather than (like other accounts) charging a percentage based on the total transaction amount. So if you withdraw the equivalent of £100 a time, you're paying a 1% fee. £100 a time may seem a lot but that's what I did when I was in Asia. At some points in Vietnam I was withdrawing millions of the local currency at once. Doesn't matter as long as you have your head screwed on, you'll be fine.

While I haven't looked deeply into prepaid cards, the times I do read about them always seem to be giving negative feedback.

Credit cards are generally cheaper but can be a hassle to pay off if you're on the road for a long time.

Have a read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

I spent three months travelling across Europe August-October last year (driving, not interailing but still) and I really wouldn't recommend Nationwide debit cards. They used to be really really good - a few years ago there wasn't ANY withdrawal charges, amazing! - but now not so much. Every time I use my debit card outside of the UK it charges a 1 pound withdrawal fee (you were correct about this) but ALSO now charges a 2% 'non-UK commission fee.' When I did use it, I took out 200 pounds at a time....costing me 5 pounds in fees! Seriously, don't do it. Nationwide is still one of the 'better' banks though...

I now use credit cards or my Caxton FX money card, which is awesome cos there's no fees, is a VISA card and it's really easy to load up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Summer 2013 i'm planning on doing interrailing for 3 weeks 4-5 days per place. The countries I want to visit are Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Monaco.

The route I am planning to take is

Interlaken/Lucerne/Zurich can't decide
Munich
Seefeld near Innsbruck
Milan
Monaco

I want to see scenery. Can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan

Interlaken/Lucerne/Zurich can't decide

I live in Switzerland and any of those choices depend on what you're looking for. Zurich is the biggest city and most cosmopolitan, it's nice. Interlaken is a much more rural experience in the midst of all the mountains.

Lucerne is at a large lake with a mountain view and somewhere in between the two in terms of how urban it is.

If you're just passing through Switzerland, and want to check out the scenery without doing any serious outdoor activities, I would say go to Lucerne. It's more authentically Swiss than Zurich.

Only downside is how expensive it is...but that's Switzerland for you!
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
I live in Switzerland and any of those choices depend on what you're looking for. Zurich is the biggest city and most cosmopolitan, it's nice. Interlaken is a much more rural experience in the midst of all the mountains.

Lucerne is at a large lake with a mountain view and somewhere in between the two in terms of how urban it is.

If you're just passing through Switzerland, and want to check out the scenery without doing any serious outdoor activities, I would say go to Lucerne. It's more authentically Swiss than Zurich.

Only downside is how expensive it is...but that's Switzerland for you!

Thanks that's some great advice, cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest