The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of some form of travelling across Europe at the start of June, but due to medical problems I probably won't know if I will be able to go until fairly short notice. I was just wondering how long it would take to plan a 4 week trip?

I am thinking about either starting in Barcelona or Rome and then heading east, it just depends what I can afford.

I am guessing the things that would take the longest time to organise would be flights and an inter-rail pass? Unless I am forgetting anything?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Reply 921
Original post by Monkey magic
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of some form of travelling across Europe at the start of June, but due to medical problems I probably won't know if I will be able to go until fairly short notice. I was just wondering how long it would take to plan a 4 week trip?

I am thinking about either starting in Barcelona or Rome and then heading east, it just depends what I can afford.

I am guessing the things that would take the longest time to organise would be flights and an inter-rail pass? Unless I am forgetting anything?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Flights are the key things. The best deals are either bookable months in advance or if you're lucky, a few days in advance.

I don't know anything about InterRail passes, though.

Planning a trip takes 1 hour. In that hour I'd book a flight and that's it. Probably take less than an hour in fact. From there, you just make it up as you go along. Don't plan too much, chances are they won't last long.
Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, I have just split with my GF and need to get away for a bit to clear my head and sort myself out.

I am a mature student (28) and Europe is looking like the most accessible, I have no idea on where to go or what type of train pass I need.

I plan on leaving after my exams, most probably around June time, I have around £1000 - £1500to get away for as long as possible.

Any advice or tips would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks Mike
Original post by mikerobinson83
Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, I have just split with my GF and need to get away for a bit to clear my head and sort myself out.

I am a mature student (28) and Europe is looking like the most accessible, I have no idea on where to go or what type of train pass I need.

I plan on leaving after my exams, most probably around June time, I have around £1000 - £1500to get away for as long as possible.

Any advice or tips would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks Mike

Hey

I'd recommend hitting Eastern Europe - I'm flying out on Thursday and going Warsaw - Krakow - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest - Belgrade for 15 nights. The total budget for all of that (including flights, hostels and nights out pretty much every night) is about £900-1,000, though I imagine it can be done for less. If you go even further East it gets even cheaper (i.e. Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia etc), so you get further for your money. There's tonnes of fantastic culture and history around there, and the food and drink is very cheap :smile:

Also, if you don't bother with any of western Europe, it's sometimes advisable not to bother with interrail, but to buy all the tickets separately, as they're so much cheaper over there.
Reply 924
Hi guys, need some advice on my inter-rail plan. I'm going with friends and we've chosen the 30 day global pass. We've chosen this route.

London-Paris-Brussels-Cologne-Berlin-Munich-Zurich-Milan-Rome-Milan-Marseille-Paris-London (Milan to Rome will be a return flight).

Any opinions, suggestions or advice about this plan would be well appreciated. We're also not entirely sure how to go about accommodation and also what kind of rucksack to take, how many clothes to pack and what else we need to take with us.

Thanks!
Reply 925
Oh I forgot to add, is there anyway of extending to longer than 30 days if need be?
Do people check in their luggage when flying out? Meaning you can bring razor, shampoo kind of thing, or buy it out there? Just wondering what the general consensus is.
Wondering if anyone knew of any trains running from Nice Ville to Milan Central on July 20, 2012. The two sites I've been using both seem to have Nice > Ventimiglia > Milan - though the V > M part of the journey is showing up at 11-14hours in length; when I'd made a note that the journey was approximately 3/4 hours in length.

Should I leave it a while longer before looking for such a train journey, or assume that the 11-14 hours is correct and look for another form of travel. It just seems bizarre how a month or two before it was 3/4 hours and now it's been boosted by 7/8 hours for no apparent reason.
Reply 928
Original post by takethyfacehence
Do people check in their luggage when flying out? Meaning you can bring razor, shampoo kind of thing, or buy it out there? Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I took my bag on as hand luggage so got stuff whilst I was away.
With shampoo...look into Lush shampoo bars. They're small, don't take up any space in your bag, last like 50 hair washes, and make your hair super clean. I'm so glad I had one of these and didn't have to lug around a bottle of shampoo.
Original post by .Scout.
I took my bag on as hand luggage so got stuff whilst I was away.
With shampoo...look into Lush shampoo bars. They're small, don't take up any space in your bag, last like 50 hair washes, and make your hair super clean. I'm so glad I had one of these and didn't have to lug around a bottle of shampoo.

Cheers for the advice. The shampoo bar looks really good! Bit bizarre though having never though of shampoo that way haha.
Original post by SLlewellyn
Wondering if anyone knew of any trains running from Nice Ville to Milan Central on July 20, 2012. The two sites I've been using both seem to have Nice > Ventimiglia > Milan - though the V > M part of the journey is showing up at 11-14hours in length; when I'd made a note that the journey was approximately 3/4 hours in length.

Should I leave it a while longer before looking for such a train journey, or assume that the 11-14 hours is correct and look for another form of travel. It just seems bizarre how a month or two before it was 3/4 hours and now it's been boosted by 7/8 hours for no apparent reason.

Looks like there are plenty of short connections, have a look here http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connections-city/nice-milan/france-italy/90
Any thoughts on our route below? Our beginning and end are fixed as the flights are booked but suggestions welcome on any other part.

Reply 932
Original post by Rian1988
Any thoughts on our route below? Our beginning and end are fixed as the flights are booked but suggestions welcome on any other part.

I expect to be in Bled on the 17th and Venice on the 19th so, who knows, we may see each other without realising.:smile:

BTW, on the right hand of your spreadsheet it says you're only in Bled for 1 day + evening but it looks like you are there for 3 and a bit days looking at your timetable.
Original post by Soilwork
I expect to be in Bled on the 17th and Venice on the 19th so, who knows, we may see each other without realising.:smile:

BTW, on the right hand of your spreadsheet it says you're only in Bled for 1 day + evening but it looks like you are there for 3 and a bit days looking at your timetable.

Oh yeh, haven't updated that. Have you thought about what your going to do when your in Bled? Also where are you coming from and going to after Bled?
Reply 934
Oh yeh, haven't updated that. Have you thought about what your going to do when your in Bled? Also where are you coming from and going to after Bled?

I'm only spending 1 and a half days in Bled and I think I'll just see the castle, wander around the lake and then take a trip to the church on the island in the middle of the lake. I might see Vintar Gorge aswell. Then I'll probably just laze about the place the rest of the time. How about you? I've heard you can do some extreme sports around the area. Are you planning on doing anything like that while you're there?

I'm spending a few days in Ljubljana before going on to Bled and then Venice after that.
Hey,

I am possible thinking of travelling and I have quickly thought up the below places, I was thinking of going for a month so I am hoping this is enough time?

I really don't know if this route is any good?

Barcelona
Nice
Rome
Florence
Munich
Vienna
Prague
Budapest
Bled
Dubrovnik (I really don't know whether to take this off my list as it a long way South, and the reviews of many of the hostels don't seem great, any suggestions?)

I was wondering whether I could have some advice on a route that my friend and I will will most likely be taking in July:

Budapest 2 days
Prague 3 days
Vienna 3 days
Rome 4 days
Venice 3 days

We were planning to do the 15 day pass. Does this route seem ok? What experience do people have in these cities?

Thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 937

Just my opinion, but I think you're giving too much time to Munich and not enough to Vienna. I could have easily spent 3-4 days in Vienna, although if you're planning to go out into Bavaria, it makes sense to use Munich as a base for 3 days.
Original post by Monkey magic

Dubrovnik (I really don't know whether to take this off my list as it a long way South, and the reviews of many of the hostels don't seem great, any suggestions?)

Dubrovnik is notoriously difficult to reach. There are no direct train services and any bus services take very long. It was because of this that I took it off my list of stops for my summer's Euro-trip.
Original post by Syko
Just my opinion, but I think you're giving too much time to Munich and not enough to Vienna. I could have easily spent 3-4 days in Vienna, although if you're planning to go out into Bavaria, it makes sense to use Munich as a base for 3 days.

We're planning on taking a couple of day trips from Munich (one to Salzburg and one to eagles nest) but that might change as we might be able to visit Salzburg on the way from somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest