The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by hothedgehog
I personally think it's a bit too full! When we went with the 5 days in 10 days ticket and went to 5 cities over 14 days and it was just too much to see in too little time. Would have been better to drop a city and had a bit more time at each one. From your list I would drop maybe one of the german ones or Amsterdam - there's enough in those to go for a week holiday or something whereas the others I think you have much better chance of getting to see most of it in 2 or 3.

Also, Bled is beautiful - enjoy that! :smile:

Ok thanks for the advice, i was wondering if it was too full, yer i think il drop some places, i take it you have been interailing?? where was the best places you went and do you have any tips on interailing in general
Thanks
Original post by _holly_
Hey,
Some friends and i are planning to go interailling in the summer for 22 days, do you think this route is possible/ good, or anywhere we have missed,

Brussels-Ghent-Bruges-Amsterdam-Munich-Salzburg-Viennia-Budapest-Bled-Prague-Berlin

I have been interrailing to most of these places. Berlin and Munich are must sees, really great. Amsterdam was a bit disappointing in my opinion as it was dirty, crowded, overrated. I would personally miss out Belgium as it is really really dull, if you've seen In Bruges, everything Colin Farrell says about it is right! Salzburg is alright, if you haven't seen Sound of Music/ don't like classical music like me though it is really really boring! I would recommend Prague also :smile: I would recommend Koln for a night, it's a really nice city.
Original post by _holly_
Ok thanks for the advice, i was wondering if it was too full, yer i think il drop some places, i take it you have been interailing?? where was the best places you went and do you have any tips on interailing in general
Thanks

Erm, I think just having a read around on interrailing sites is the best idea to get an idea of what you're doing. Otherwise, take a travel towel (they're amazing on space saving), pack as lightly as possible, split your money and your id in case you get robbed (unlikely but not a good situation to be in if you've lost everything - at least with half of it you've got a chance!), get a guide book and a phrase book or point it if you're not good at languages and generally, don't be afraid to do something - go and experience new things, foods, cultures and people! :biggrin:

Oh, and my favourite place was Lake Ohrid in Macedonia - it was beautiful and so tranquil. I would definitely visit again!
hi, I am also planning to go interailing, with a pretty low budget of about 30 quid a day ( or is that low? ) I'm prepared to be a little hungry... I'm just wondering if you stayed in any campsites near the cities, if so where and was it a pain?

thanks!
Original post by intersect345
Raildude timetable are reliable but you can check here http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml. Just enter the cities to and from etc.

Still concerned - I enter 'Nice Ville' to 'Milan Central' on 19.07.12 and it only displays 14 hour train journies.
Reply 965
I've a few questions for people who have already done this before. Some of them might have already been answered in this thread so sorry if that's the case. Anyway...

1. What kind of footwear did people bring? I was thinking of just bringing trainers but will it be too hot for those in the south. Would sandals be better? (I'm going to Germany, Czech Republic, Slovenia and Italy if that's any help)

2. Should I bring a padlock for lockers in hostels? Also, should I bring something to clip my bagpack onto the luggage cart considering I will be taking some over night trains?

Thanks.
Reply 966
Original post by Soilwork
I've a few questions for people who have already done this before. Some of them might have already been answered in this thread so sorry if that's the case. Anyway...

1. What kind of footwear did people bring? I was thinking of just bringing trainers but will it be too hot for those in the south. Would sandals be better? (I'm going to Germany, Czech Republic, Slovenia and Italy if that's any help)

2. Should I bring a padlock for lockers in hostels? Also, should I bring something to clip my bagpack onto the luggage cart considering I will be taking some over night trains?

Thanks.

I took Converse and a pair of sandals for hostels/days where I wouldn't be doing much walking. I just wanted to be comfy so wore my faithful Converse the majority of the time. Sandals are good too for grotty and grimey hostel bathrooms.

And a padlock is a must. In the majority of places that I stayed, lockers were provided but you needed your own lock. Combination ones are best...don't be like me and lose your key. Durrrr.
Reply 967
Hey all, me and my girlfriend are doing about a month starting in berlin and finishing in venice. definately going vis Budapest, but are undecided where to visit between there and our next destination, the Croatian coast/split. Does anyone have any advice/experience about where would be best or just any personal recommendations/anecdotes?

We're currently looking going via 1)Zagreb/Plitvice Lakes 2)Sarajevo/Mostar 3) Belgrade/sarajevo/mostar-ish, those kinda places.

cheers in advance
I booked my flight out to Berlin! So excited ahhhh. That's the only thing set in stone so far really, got loads to do, reading and planning and buying the travel gear.
Reply 969
Hello, me and a few friends are planning on going inter railing this summer. Do you think this would be doable and would about 1200 euro's cover the spending money?

Belgium 9th-11th July
Holland 11th-14th July
Germany 14th-17th July
Czech republic 17th-20th July
Slovakia 20th-22nd July
Hungary 22th-25th July
Austria 25th-27th July
Switzerland 27th-29th July
France 29th-2nd August

Cheers
Original post by ixbenix
Hello, me and a few friends are planning on going inter railing this summer. Do you think this would be doable and would about 1200 euro's cover the spending money?

Belgium 9th-11th July
Holland 11th-14th July
Germany 14th-17th July
Czech republic 17th-20th July
Slovakia 20th-22nd July
Hungary 22th-25th July
Austria 25th-27th July
Switzerland 27th-29th July
France 29th-2nd August

Cheers

I think you'll be a bit pressed for time, for instance, Germany is a big country and you want to do it in four days, same with France. I would recommend either making your trip longer or narrowing it down to where you really want to go. 1200 euros is probably enough, but is your interrail pass and transport to your starting destination and from your finishing destination included in that? When I went for two weeks last summer, I probably spent about £700 quid including everything (so about 856 euros apparently) for Germany, Czech Republic and Italy but I was having private rooms in nice hostels and probably ate out about 10 nights.

Out of the ones you're selecting, Switzerland, France (if you mean Paris), Holland (if you mean Amsterdam) possibly Austria (if you mean Vienna), will be expensive, as in London prices.
(edited 12 years ago)
What sized backpack are/have people generally gone for. The figure 60L seems to pop up quite frequently - just wanted to double check, need to purchase a nice comfortable one soon.
Original post by SLlewellyn
What sized backpack are/have people generally gone for. The figure 60L seems to pop up quite frequently - just wanted to double check, need to purchase a nice comfortable one soon.

I need to purchase one soon too, was going to go into town today and eye them up, but something came up. From what I've read I've thought something like 35L +10, I'm going to pack as little as possible (which will be difficult, I always bring about a billion clothes whenever I normally go anywhere away from home!), and want to use it as hand luggage on my flight out. Are you camping at all? If you are you'll obviously need room for tent etc. but in general I s'pose it depends how much you are willing to lug around and how much you really think you're going to need/use. I've read a lot of people saying, work out what you're going to pack, and divide the clothes by two!
Reply 973
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
I think you'll be a bit pressed for time, for instance, Germany is a big country and you want to do it in four days, same with France. I would recommend either making your trip longer or narrowing it down to where you really want to go. 1200 euros is probably enough, but is your interrail pass and transport to your starting destination and from your finishing destination included in that? When I went for two weeks last summer, I probably spent about £700 quid including everything (so about 856 euros apparently) for Germany, Czech Republic and Italy but I was having private rooms in nice hostels and probably ate out about 10 nights.

Out of the ones you're selecting, Switzerland, France (if you mean Paris), Holland (if you mean Amsterdam) possibly Austria (if you mean Vienna), will be expensive, as in London prices.

We are kind of planning just to stay in one city per country, Germany for example we fancy Berlin. Also the 1200 is not including any tickets or our flights in and out.
Original post by ixbenix
We are kind of planning just to stay in one city per country, Germany for example we fancy Berlin. Also the 1200 is not including any tickets or our flights in and out.

Ah okay that makes more sense! And yes I would think that 1200 should be fine then if you're not including that.
im too scared to go
Purchasing my interrailing ticket tonight - a 22 day one (£298 w/ insurance).

Just a question to those that have gone travelling +/or used the interrailing ticket, are reservations for trains expensive?

Also, when did you reserve spaces on the trains. Say for example, I'll be in Milan on the 20th July and will be going to Venice on the 21st July - should I reserve a space on the train when we arrive in Milan on the 20th, or will that be too late?
Original post by SLlewellyn
Purchasing my interrailing ticket tonight - a 22 day one (£298 w/ insurance).

Just a question to those that have gone travelling +/or used the interrailing ticket, are reservations for trains expensive?

Also, when did you reserve spaces on the trains. Say for example, I'll be in Milan on the 20th July and will be going to Venice on the 21st July - should I reserve a space on the train when we arrive in Milan on the 20th, or will that be too late?

When I went Florence - Rome last summer the reservation was 10 Euros. I think we got it the night before we went just in case. In Italy the price is dependent on the train and it will vary depending on what it is, just as in this country Eurostar is more expensive than others. The high speed city train is 10 Euros, I think it's called TrenItalia? It will probably be the one you are going on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, me and my friends are going interrailing this summer, we've bought our passes and been looking around for information of what to expect and came across this on the Interrailnet website: "It is common practice in night trains that you hand over your InterRail Pass and passport to the train staff. You get them back in the morning!"

Can anybody shed any light on this? I don't know if I'm entirely comfortable with the idea of handing my passport out to a random person overnight...
Hey, wondering what the best way to travel around for me would be. I'm working in Southern Germany in the summer, but because I'm working I'll only be travelling weekends. Hence a lot of the best deals are wasted on me. Anyone got any tips/deals which would apply to me?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest