The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Why not go by yourself?
Reply 81
Formerly LieDown
Well we haven't decided for certain we are just doing Balkans, those are just some of the places we may go to, for example go to other places before finishing up in Croatia, etc. We do have other idees too. I've read busses are the best around the Balkans.

. And others do the 5 days travel thing and have a good time so don't see that that's a problem really, and we can always tack on our own little trips on either side.

I'm more thinking about what's possible with that travel time.

If you're wanting to do the Balkans and the West then why not fly out there, travel by bus then use the Interrail for the Western side of things? Obviously that works the opposite way too...
hollo
If you're wanting to do the Balkans and the West then why not fly out there, travel by bus then use the Interrail for the Western side of things? Obviously that works the opposite way too...

Yes we were thinking about that too, it's a good idea. My friend's on holiday currently and I said I'd have a few options for routes planned out when she got back. 'A few' has now become almost ten :p:
Reply 83
Hi there, looking to do berlin, prague, vienna, bratislava, budapest, zagreb, split with a mate very shortly. Can anyone recommend any particular hostels or places we should visit? Thanks x
Maxximus
Hi there, looking to do berlin, prague, vienna, bratislava, budapest, zagreb, split with a mate very shortly. Can anyone recommend any particular hostels or places we should visit? Thanks x

We're planning to go to these places (Zagreb and split) :smile: I've been doing some reserach and I've used www.hostelworld.com/ and http://www.hostelbookers.com/ to have a look at what hostels are available on my trip.

Split is meant to be very beautiful although not much night life from what I've heard so far.

Sorry I've just realised I've not that helpful until I've gone myself and that's not a while! Just very excited about the trip :o:
Reply 85
does anyone know what the deal is with getting to montenegro as its not included in the global pass but I really want to go!
Does anyone have any hostels they can recommend in Dusseldorf? I'm going there in late September, not interailing just for a two night break, but because it's late September all of the hostels I've looked at seem really expensive (like, £30 per person per night). Is this what you'd normally pay? I was kind of hoping for something cheaper.

I was wondering if people could tell me a little about hostels and their experiences. I've stayed in hostels before in this country on university sports tours, and some of them have been pretty tragic, but because there have been several of us I've never had to share with randomers. I'm a little scared about security and have therefore been looking at the private rooms for the hostels I've been looking at... but with prices so high, I'm thinking that I might have to let go. But then I read stories of people getting bags stolen and doors never being locked and sharing with druggies and I think maybe it's worth an extra £30, or maybe I shouldn't go at all. It's just me and one other girl going, so we're just needing a double room.
Lady Justice
Does anyone have any hostels they can recommend in Dusseldorf? I'm going there in late September, not interailing just for a two night break, but because it's late September all of the hostels I've looked at seem really expensive (like, £30 per person per night). Is this what you'd normally pay? I was kind of hoping for something cheaper.

I was wondering if people could tell me a little about hostels and their experiences. I've stayed in hostels before in this country on university sports tours, and some of them have been pretty tragic, but because there have been several of us I've never had to share with randomers. I'm a little scared about security and have therefore been looking at the private rooms for the hostels I've been looking at... but with prices so high, I'm thinking that I might have to let go. But then I read stories of people getting bags stolen and doors never being locked and sharing with druggies and I think maybe it's worth an extra £30, or maybe I shouldn't go at all. It's just me and one other girl going, so we're just needing a double room.

Whats your budget?
jakemittle
Whats your budget?

Well, I've seen some that are private double rooms for £30 per person per night and I wouldn't want to go over that. But I'd prefer 20-25 for private rooms and 10-15 for shared IF YOU CAN RECOMMEND THEM.
Flights and everything booked for my interrailing trip :smile: Starts end of August: I am terrified!!! But also really excited. I'm a massive control freak so hopefully the holiday will teach me to just let go a little bit and stop worrying about everything.
Started buying all the things I need, although a rucksack is still on my 'to buy list'....
Formerly LieDown
Flights and everything booked for my interrailing trip :smile: Starts end of August: I am terrified!!! But also really excited. I'm a massive control freak so hopefully the holiday will teach me to just let go a little bit and stop worrying about everything.
Started buying all the things I need, although a rucksack is still on my 'to buy list'....

what's your route? and who are you going with?
Krishna442
what's your route? and who are you going with?

I'm going with a very good old friend, probably best as they won't be surprised when I get grumpy from tired/hunger :smile:

We're flying to Belgrade, then starting the interrail ticket as we leave Belgrade, so it goes Belgrade (maybe a day trip out of Belgrade, depends on time) -Sarajevo (probs day trip to Mostar) -Split-Zadar-Zagreb-night train on to Venice for two days then fly home from there.

:smile:

I may have to take some sort of sleeping pills on this trip, going to need to catch some winks when I can and I'm not very good at just falling asleep, takes me hours....*sigh* oh well, I guess I'll just sleep from exhaustion!
I bought my rucksack today! :biggrin:

It's an Active Trek by manifesto, which basically no-one will have heard of because I got it from a French supermarket :o: But if fits all the specifications that I wanted, is 60L but doesn't seem too big as its very compartmentalised, has a little zip off daysac thing, and isn't top loading which is good as I will inevitably stick all my important stuff at the bottom. It's got a really comfortable strap/back support thing at the back and a bag to pull over it so stuff doesn't stick out.

Seemed to fit everything I needed for 10 day trip...now I just have to pack it!

Also Interrail tickets arrived yesterday. This is all really scary, I'm properly scared now! Not that excited yet, got to wait until it's coming very close I think before I stop worrying about everything and get really excited :smile:
Reply 93
Hi guys.

I'm planning to do some interrailing but just wanted a bit of advice. I'm planning to fly out to Berlin before meeting a friend in Dortmund 2 weeks later. So I have 2 weeks to do some travelling around.

I'd like to maybe to, Berlin-Prague-Munich-Stuttgart-Luxembourg-Dortmund, I don't know how viable that is in a 2 week period and more importantly what sort of pass would be relevant?
DorianGrayism
I am also a guy. So perhaps there is the safety factor as a girl going on her own...But when I was travelling I met several women who were also travelling by themselves. One woman had traveled for 6 months by herself. So it is possible.

One of my friends has been travelling for 18 months on her own, so being female is definitely no excuse :yep:

I bought my interrail tickets yesterday with the cheapest delivery, so does anyone have any idea how long they'll take to get here? I sincerely hope it's within 2 weeks or it'll be too late!! :s-smilie:
Who else is planning a trip next summer?

Me and a friend are planning to interrail next july and we're slowly planning and thinking about where we want to go and what we want to do.

I thought this could be a good place for people to chat about cool places to visit etc..
I am! :biggrin: Well, spring rather than summer, sometime between March and May (if I can get the time off work...).
How long are you going for? Have you got any particular cities in mind yet?
Original post by xmarilynx
I am! :biggrin: Well, spring rather than summer, sometime between March and May (if I can get the time off work...).
How long are you going for? Have you got any particular cities in mind yet?

That seems like a good time of year. Probably not too hot then as well :smile: Have you been before?

As we've never been before we thought we'd do the 5 in 10 days ticket, but try and stretch it out to just over two weeks if we can, spending a few days either end and probably flying out or back if we can get cheap flights.

City wise we're thinking Berlin - Prague - Vienna and then I want to do a couple of Eastern European places, maybe Bratislava/Budapest, but my friend was to see Rome/Venice. I suppose that's the beauty of inter railing. We're pretty flexible, hopefully we 'll just see what falls in to place for us! Where are you planning on going?
Original post by fortunecookie
That seems like a good time of year. Probably not too hot then as well :smile: Have you been before?

As we've never been before we thought we'd do the 5 in 10 days ticket, but try and stretch it out to just over two weeks if we can, spending a few days either end and probably flying out or back if we can get cheap flights.

City wise we're thinking Berlin - Prague - Vienna and then I want to do a couple of Eastern European places, maybe Bratislava/Budapest, but my friend was to see Rome/Venice. I suppose that's the beauty of inter railing. We're pretty flexible, hopefully we 'll just see what falls in to place for us! Where are you planning on going?

Hopefully! And there won't be so many tourists so the prices might not be as high and it'll be easier to find somewhere to stay... Unless everyone has the same idea of course...

Yeah, last week actually! :biggrin: It was only a small trip, I did the 5 in 10 days, but I really enjoyed it (once I got out of France anyway, train travel during the strike wasn't fun!).

Very nice! :yep: I think you're going to need more than 10 days to see all of those though, definitely try and see if you can get a cheap flight to the first place and back from the last place to get a few extra days.

My main interest is Eastern Europe, so I'm planning on going to Prague, Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest and maybe Zaghreb :daydreaming:
Original post by xmarilynx
Hopefully! And there won't be so many tourists so the prices might not be as high and it'll be easier to find somewhere to stay... Unless everyone has the same idea of course...

Yeah, last week actually! :biggrin: It was only a small trip, I did the 5 in 10 days, but I really enjoyed it (once I got out of France anyway, train travel during the strike wasn't fun!).

Very nice! :yep: I think you're going to need more than 10 days to see all of those though, definitely try and see if you can get a cheap flight to the first place and back from the last place to get a few extra days.

My main interest is Eastern Europe, so I'm planning on going to Prague, Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest and maybe Zaghreb :daydreaming:

Yeah that definitely sounds like a good plan!

Ah wow! I can imagine that being a bit stressful! Have you got the interrail bug now!? Which cities did you visit and how long did you stay in each place? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it come to?

Yeah me too :'( I think we're definitely going to have to either go for a longer time, or make our wish list a bit shorter. Are you planning to do 5 in 10 again? That list of cities sounds really good. Do you think you'll fly there and back or go via train the whole way?

Sorry, so many questions!

Quick Reply

Latest