The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

This is basically a continuation of my last question, but is it impossible to book international night trains online?

My interpretation of the interrail website suggests that when you are in Europe you can book international trains for any where else in Europe from a main train station there (ie if you are in Spain could book tickets between Amsterdam and Prague) is this correct?
Original post by TheRabbit
This is basically a continuation of my last question, but is it impossible to book international night trains online?

My interpretation of the interrail website suggests that when you are in Europe you can book international trains for any where else in Europe from a main train station there (ie if you are in Spain could book tickets between Amsterdam and Prague) is this correct?

I want to find this out too. We have an interrail ticket and cant find any way of reserving night trains with it. It seems a bit risky booking it when you're actually there in case there is nothing available?
Original post by Lesjordans
I want to find this out too. We have an interrail ticket and cant find any way of reserving night trains with it. It seems a bit risky booking it when you're actually there in case there is nothing available?

Yep thats my worry, we have 3 trains which in the interest of time it makes sense to do overnight but I don't see us being able to book one 3 days before. I might just work out an alternative for all of them and book the alternative for the 1st and just hope I can book night trains for the rest when we are there.

Yep thats my worry, we have 3 trains which in the interest of time it makes sense to do overnight but I don't see us being able to book one 3 days before. I might just work out an alternative for all of them and book the alternative for the 1st and just hope I can book night trains for the rest when we are there.

Hey,

I am trying to find out if you can do the same as I think the launguage barrier will be a massive problem when trying to book night trains.

http://www.raildude.com/train/reservation-supplement-europe-train-t1561.html

This seems to be helpful, but I think the tickets have to get delivered to your home address so maybe not helpful if you are close to going.

Pfft I don't know what to do, I was thinking of booking the night trains maybe 3 days in advance but I am not sure if this will be enough.
Does anyone know how easy it is to book tickets on the phone with the DB booking centre?

(Raildude doesn't have tickets for the wanted route - possible its already booked out except raildude gave a number to call, Amsterdam->Prague on the 13th July)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Monkey magic
Hey,

I am trying to find out if you can do the same as I think the launguage barrier will be a massive problem when trying to book night trains.

http://www.raildude.com/train/reservation-supplement-europe-train-t1561.html

This seems to be helpful, but I think the tickets have to get delivered to your home address so maybe not helpful if you are close to going.

Pfft I don't know what to do, I was thinking of booking the night trains maybe 3 days in advance but I am not sure if this will be enough.

Thanks :smile: Just worried because if we dont get on the train then we wouldn't really know what to do?? with suitcases and things, so we are worried about risking it by reserving at stations so there must be another way surely.

EDIT: Just tried that website for reservations, it wants £158 between 5 for a reservation! Thats with your interrail pass, surely thats unreasonable and not what you'd pay if you booked at the station?
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks :smile: Just worried because if we dont get on the train then we wouldn't really know what to do?? with suitcases and things, so we are worried about risking it by reserving at stations so there must be another way surely.

EDIT: Just tried that website for reservations, it wants £158 between 5 for a reservation! Thats with your interrail pass, surely thats unreasonable and not what you'd pay if you booked at the station?

Is that for the night train?

I was planning to go to Munich, however there is only 1 hostel that is available and it is £50 a night wtf.
Is that for the night train?

I was planning to go to Munich, however there is only 1 hostel that is available and it is £50 a night wtf.

Yeah, this one:
Depart VENEZIA MESTRE at 21:18 - Arrive Muenchen Hbf at 06:15 (Train service, number: 358)

One-Way-Outbound

Prices for 5 travelers
2Cl Couchet.6B
Class
DB SLEEPER-COUCHETTE RESERVATION EURAIL PASSHOLDER
- seat reservation: only, no ticket or pass included - BUT REQUIRED
£158.00

Even though we have an interrail pass. get the feeling it's gonna have to be booked at a train station :frown:

For munich, we got "4 You Munchen Youth Hostel." which wasnt as expensive as that, if that helps
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, this one:
Depart VENEZIA MESTRE at 21:18 - Arrive Muenchen Hbf at 06:15 (Train service, number: 358)

One-Way-Outbound

Prices for 5 travelers
2Cl Couchet.6B
Class
DB SLEEPER-COUCHETTE RESERVATION EURAIL PASSHOLDER
- seat reservation: only, no ticket or pass included - BUT REQUIRED
£158.00

Even though we have an interrail pass. get the feeling it's gonna have to be booked at a train station :frown:

For munich, we got "4 You Munchen Youth Hostel." which wasnt as expensive as that, if that helps

Its because its a couchette rather than a seat which would be cheaper, that is the cost you unfortunately should expect.
Lesjordans
who is the service provider?
if its DB or OBB thenPhone +44 8718 80 80 66 which is the DB Bahn booking centre number for UK residents.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am still trying to book tickets, how do I put that I have an inter rail ticket on the Bahn.DE website? It gives a drop down with the various reductions but non say inter rail. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
I am still trying to book tickets, how do I put that I have an inter rail ticket on the Bahn.DE website? It gives a drop down with the various reductions but non say inter rail. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Don't know if you can do it online with DB Bahn but you can phone them on 08718 80 80 66, it can sometimes be difficult to get through but they are quite helpful one you do get through. Alternatively you can book some online at www.raileurope.co.uk
Original post by Rian1988
Don't know if you can do it online with DB Bahn but you can phone them on 08718 80 80 66, it can sometimes be difficult to get through but they are quite helpful one you do get through. Alternatively you can book some online at www.raileurope.co.uk

Dam, I might have to ring them then. I just tried to book with raileurope.co.uk, however they are saying the train is fully booked, I even looked at trains 2 months in advance and it said they were sold out so I think the web site may be broken.

Yeah international trains from DB with a pass have to be booked on the phone and won't necessary come up on rail europe (my 2 trips I have booked so far didn't). Make it clear you have a pass and want a reservation only.
Yeah international trains from DB with a pass have to be booked on the phone and won't necessary come up on rail europe (my 2 trips I have booked so far didn't). Make it clear you have a pass and want a reservation only.

Thanks :smile: I will give them a call tomorrow, do the tickets have to be delivered? or can you print them off?
Thanks :smile: I will give them a call tomorrow, do the tickets have to be delivered? or can you print them off?

Not sure- I would ask. My reservations came in the post on Friday having booked them Wednesday though so not a long wait.

They can be picked up from most stations in Germany only, so if your at a German station before you need the ticked you are ok. When I phoned them on Friday (before 3pm as that's they're cut off) they said delivery on Tuesday, but they actually arrived on Saturday the next day.
Worrying about getting everything pre-booked before you leave really wont help your travelling experience.I can't think of a reason why you'd want to try book these reservations in advance unless there was a money saving, which evidently there isn't. I can understand some people wanting a pretty strict itinerary but it seems a little excessive to me, flexibility in your times and where you go = fun times.
I am so interrailing this summer! I was going to go with some friends but it seems like a bit of a hassle - a lot of my friends don't have the money/time. I was thinking of going from late August to September and then being back in time to start Uni in October. I was thinking of taking a tent and camping for quite a bit of it (my sister did this when she did it a couple of years again) couch surfing for some and hostels when I get shattered. My budget is like £850 including interrail tickets. Now just to convince my family I won't die!

Is anyone else thinking of going alone this summer? x
Original post by hiyamynameissoph
I am so interrailing this summer! I was going to go with some friends but it seems like a bit of a hassle - a lot of my friends don't have the money/time. I was thinking of going from late August to September and then being back in time to start Uni in October. I was thinking of taking a tent and camping for quite a bit of it (my sister did this when she did it a couple of years again) couch surfing for some and hostels when I get shattered. My budget is like £850 including interrail tickets. Now just to convince my family I won't die!

Is anyone else thinking of going alone this summer? x

hiya! I'm thinking of booking http://www.xtremegapyear.co.uk/trip/spanish-and-sun-2-week-crash-course-spain-video-367 but now I'm wondering if its worth the cost. If I do it, I'm considering doing some travelling on my way/ on the way home from Malaga and I'll be on my own. I'm thinking of getting the megabus to Amsterdam then interrailing from there to Malaga and flying home. But I have no idea if I could afford this! Does anyone have any idea how much this is likely to cost me? x

Quick Reply

Latest