The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just put my facebook to completely private after reading this. Only my friends can find me now!
Reply 21
Even if the kids can't see anything, you still get all of the associated hassle: "Are you on Facebook, Miss?" "I added you on Facebook, Miss" "Why did you reject my friend request, Miss?" "I found you on Facebook, Miss"...
The younger ones in particular (c. Year 8) just don't know when to drop it.
linkdapink: that setting seems to have disappeared for me :frown: It's what I used to have before, but then Facebook changed something about the site and now I can't seem to set my profile to that setting anymore. VERY annoying.
Reply 22
Angelil
Even if the kids can't see anything, you still get all of the associated hassle: "Are you on Facebook, Miss?" "I added you on Facebook, Miss" "Why did you reject my friend request, Miss?" "I found you on Facebook, Miss"...
The younger ones in particular (c. Year 8) just don't know when to drop it.
linkdapink: that setting seems to have disappeared for me :frown: It's what I used to have before, but then Facebook changed something about the site and now I can't seem to set my profile to that setting anymore. VERY annoying.

Go to Account (top right) drop down menu

Click Privacy Settings..you have a number of options

Profile information - lets you say who can see what on your profile

Contact information - lets you say who can find you in search/add you as a friend, etc.

Search - lets you say who can find you in a search...probably the most important one, as can set it to "only friends" :smile:
Reply 23
^^ I know how to do that, having been on Facebook for five years, funnily enough :rolleyes:
I have done all of that and yet still any students who have an ex-colleague (one of their ex-teachers) as a mutual friend with me are able to find and add me.
Reply 24
Angelil
^^ I know how to do that, having been on Facebook for five years, funnily enough :rolleyes:
I have done all of that and yet still any students who have an ex-colleague (one of their ex-teachers) as a mutual friend with me are able to find and add me.

You have to change all your settings to 'Only friends' instead of 'Friends of friends', which is what you must have it on at the moment.
Reply 25
Fraid not.
Reply 26
Angelil

Well if that's the case then contact Facebook about it? The option clearly states that "only friends" should be able to search you...so if mutual friends can see you then it's an error with the system.

I only gave you that info because I would expect it to do as it says it does! But that's rubbish if it doesn't :frown:
Reply 27
Have already contacted fb but tbh I expect they get so many emails that I'll never get a reply...
Reply 28
^^ That was v helpful Mr M! Cheers :smile:
I put my pictures and wallposts on private, don't mind interviewers/employers seeing my favourite bands, TV shows etc so I leave those public.

Latest

Trending

Trending