The Student Room Group

English Extended Essay Topics

Hey, I'm currently in second year of IB.
For my EE, i have chosen these books
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald.

And below are possible essay topics..
can you recommend the best out of below please?

1. In The Great Gatsby, Nick is the narrator whilst Holden is the narrator in The Catcher in the Rye. How does their language and symbolism affect the main character/themselves?

2. Are Gatsby and Holden insane in the sane world, or are they sane in the insane world?

3. How do minor characters, those that posses traits, emphasize the distinctive characteristics of the main characters?

4. In many novels, individuals struggle to find themselves a purpose in life. However, the effort pays off and sometimes it doesn’t. Focusing on two novels, ‘The Great Gatsby’ and ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ explain Gatsby and Holden’s struggle throughout the novel and how do these to what extents create the meaning of the novels?

Btw, they have to be around 4000 words.
If none of them are apt enough to reach the limit,
do u have any recommendations..
Reply 1
Hello.

(For what it's worth, I did my EE on Lolita and got full marks for it.)

I would encourage you, just as a starting point, to think about perhaps choosing some lesser-studied texts, not least because The Great Gatsby is on the syllabus for English A1 and The Catcher in the Rye seems increasingly to be a standard teen-angst novel to read. You might consider choosing something lesser-studied by the two writers, if you are dead-set on them - I have not read a lot of Salinger beyond TCitR and some of his short stories, but as far as Fitzgerald is concerned, Tender is the Night is excellent.

If you choose to ignore that, though, as well you might, my personal inclination is with the second question. I do not really see the correlation between the two statements in the first (maybe worth a rethink in the phrasing?) and numbers three and four are quite poorly-defined. You will find when you start to write the blasted thing that 4000 words is really not enough!

Good luck, though, and please feel free to PM me if you want further suggestions. :smile:
Yes.. I've been seriously concerned about the word limit when choosing those topics. I will be lacking ideas!
Hmm. But now is too late. It's my second year and those are the only books I have read so far for EE.
And yes, my topics are poorly worded.. since I had to made up just then. And tomorrow is my conference day, unfortunately.
Those two novels have a strong correlation though, especially the protagonists : (
I seriously have no idea if they are not good.
& if i choose to do Tender is the Night, should I compare it with TCinR, or just do it on itself?
Many Many thanks..
Reply 3
I'm sure your teacher wouldn't object to you changing at this stage - I know that at my school we were rapped very decisively on the knuckles if we tried to do something that had already been done before. As I said before, I don't know a great deal of Salinger's work. But if you did decide to go forth with the novel I suggested, why not do it on its own? Generally it is easier to write cohesively about only one text. Are you May or November?
okay. I will have a serious talk with my EE supervisor tomorrow and tell her that I will be changing my text.
My IB year finished on November THIS YEAR.
So, i have quite a lot to do for my EE.
I have approximately 3 months.
: (
anyways, i really appreciate your comments. Great Help.
Reply 5
Hey, I wrote mine over a weekend. It's not much fun but certainly doable. :smile: Good luck, anyway.
: ) Really? Thanks, you've just implanted a great hope into my mind.
Cheers x
Reply 7
hello
Reply 8
i learn english but so diffcult please help me
Reply 9
Original post by kuntimagee
Hello.

I would encourage you, just as a starting point, to think about perhaps choosing some lesser-studied texts, not least because The Great Gatsby is on the syllabus for English A1 and The Catcher in the Rye seems increasingly to be a standard teen-angst novel to read. You might consider choosing something lesser-studied by the two writers, if you are dead-set on them - I have not read a lot of Salinger beyond TCitR and some of his short stories, but as far as Fitzgerald is concerned, Tender is the Night is excellent.

If you choose to ignore that, though, as well you might, my personal inclination is with the second question. I do not really see the correlation between the two statements in the first (maybe worth a rethink in the phrasing?) and numbers three and four are quite poorly-defined. You will find when you start to write the blasted thing that 4000 words is really not enough!

Good luck, though, and please feel free to PM me if you want further suggestions. :smile:

Hello.

Out of curiousity, I was wondering what exactly you wrote for Lolita? By that, I mean did you focus on the transition of a particular character, a certain theme of the book etc.? I'm currently in Year 10, and my recent English assignment is to write an analysis essay on anything of my choice. I'm a bit stuck at the moment. :frown: The word limit is 2000 words, so should I do a comparison on two texts or...?

Please help! :smile:

(BTW, how the heck did you get full marks? :O Good job on that! Hopefully I can achieve the same results in two years.)
Hello,

I was also thinking of doing my EE on Lolita
However I'm struggling to find an appropriate topic to base my EE on

If you happen to have any suggestions or ideas that would be great

Thank you
Maxine
What was your essay title?
Original post by kuntimagee
Hello.

We're having our EE Cafe right now and for this time period we got previous examples to read. One of them is 'How far and to what effect does Humbert's narration of the erotic vignettes change over the course of Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita?'.
Upon seeing this title I immediately thought of your post and it took me a while to find this discussion but I'm here to ask, did you do this?

Latest

Trending

Trending