The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sarforaz
Surely though, if Mascherano is the Argentinian captain (rightly or wrongly) then he will be the first name on the team sheet and so long as he doesnt get injured, the Cambiasso debate is a bit redundant? I cant see them playing with 2 DMs?

Doesn't matter, Cambiasso is that good he should be going anyway, even as backup.

Just because Casillas is Spanish captain doesn't mean Reina shouldn't go, right?
Kevmeister
Yeah, if they were English..... :rolleyes:

:facepalm:. I know they arent english, all im saying is that they are more than good enough to get into the England squad. lol at you negging me though :smile:
Tsukuyomi
:facepalm:. I know they arent english, all im saying is that they are more than good enough to get into the England squad. lol at you negging me though :smile:

I didn't neg you, I'm not English enough to care that much...... :smile:
As a Spain fan, the provisional squad to me looks pretty good, surprised to see no Reyes as he's had his best season in years... Also Asenjo must have been under performing to lose out to De Gea for club and country :s-smilie:
Reply 24
M_E_X
Would you really rate Cambiasso as "a bit ****"? I'd class him as one of the three top DMs in the world, essential to Inter's success this season.

That's not what i said. I said he was crap under Basile. Generally speaking, he hasn't performed that well for Argentina. For Inter he's been brilliant.
Reply 25
OneBeanLescott
As a Spain fan, the provisional squad to me looks pretty good, surprised to see no Reyes as he's had his best season in years... Also Asenjo must have been under performing to lose out to De Gea for club and country :s-smilie:

Asenjo made a few mistakes in goal, got replaced by De Gea and Flores hasn't picked him since. Plus De Gea's put in some good performances so Asenjo got frozen out a bit. Spain have better players than Reyes, that was a no-brainer to leave him out.
Reply 26
Mr Mime
Asenjo made a few mistakes in goal, got replaced by De Gea and Flores hasn't picked him since. Plus De Gea's put in some good performances so Asenjo got frozen out a bit. Spain have better players than Reyes, that was a no-brainer to leave him out.

Reyes has been much better than Mata and he got picked, same goes for Cazorla.
Has any manager picked a team based on form? :hmmm:

Danny Jordaan wants to be the Brazil manager......
Reply 28
Kevmeister
Has any manager picked a team based on form? :hmmm:

Danny Jordaan wants to be the Brazil manager......

Hmm, but Reyes has been really good though. Some players are picked on form mind and others can be really **** and still make the cut.
Barça
Hmm, but Reyes has been really good though. Some players are picked on form mind and others can be really **** and still make the cut.

It was a general question given most of the selections. :wink:

It's soundbites from managers wrt the form talk. :s-smilie:
Cambiasso in the England team. :drool:

Cant wait for the newspapers to do the obligatory Wont-Be-There-At-The-WC XI

Cissokho----------------------Zanetti
-------Cambiasso------Gago
Nasri----------------------Ronaldinho
----------Balotelli--Pato

Off the top of my head with a few other big names like Benzema and Totti who shouldnt be going so whatever. But if that was my starting lineup I could have Ron Weasley in goal and harry potter - hagrid centreback pairing and expect quarters.
Actually **** ronaldinho. Put Balotelli left wing so he can be closer to his best pal totti on the bench and put Milito up front.

edit: half that team argentinian. maradona...JOKE
Phonicsdude

Off the top of my head with a few other big names like Benzema and Totti who shouldnt be going so whatever. But if that was my starting lineup I could have Ron Weasley in goal and harry potter - hagrid centreback pairing and expect quarters.

That's a pretty brilliant set of players. Alex for Chelsea also isn't going for Brazil, and he's a good player.
Reply 33
Phonicsdude

I'll have a go:

Frey
Zanetti Mexes Milito Cissokho
Cambiasso Banega
Pato Riquelme Ronaldinho
Adriano

and i can make another one too!:

Palop
Bosingwa Alex David Luiz Marcelo
Ambrosini Vieira
Nasri Diego Cassano
Totti

Lots of talented players missing out. All these international managers smoke too much weed.
Cannot believe Cassano isn't going. I know he's an arse, but he's a damn talented one and should be going, at least in the provisional squad.
Reply 35
Alex is first choice CB for the Champions of England yet isn't good enough to even get in Brazil's 23.

Madness.
It's no surprise Cassano or Balotelli arent going. Lippi is a moron. Pirlo and Gatusso? ahahaha

He says he trusts the Juve players.

He's gone for his homeboys with experience. Even though they suck. Cannavaro? Terrible season. I was at the cottage when he got sent off against Fulham. Highlight of my life.
Despite the exclusions, that Italy squad looks really tough to beat, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do well. They're usually a great tournament team and were the only team in 2008 that actually looked like beating Spain.
Stu Laverty
Despite the exclusions, that Italy squad looks really tough to beat, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do well. They're usually a great tournament team and were the only team in 2008 that actually looked like beating Spain.

This surprises me from you. They are a poor side and Id be surprised to see them past the QFs. In 2006 they fortuitously got past Australia with a last minute penalty, beat the winner of the most boring game in WC history (Ukraine v Switzerland, 0-0 then 3-0 on pens.....I was working that night and it was quiet...I desperately found things to do to avoid having to watch that dross), and then beat Germany after AET. Poor.

Last tournament, terrible.

Now they are full of old has-beens and have no flair. Their defence is a joke. cannavarro is experienced but poor. Chiellini is decent. Everyone else, average.
Pirlo, Gatusso and Camaronesi are ageing and have had poor seasons. Who else inspires in that midfield? Montolivo? DeRossi is alright though.
Up front they'll have Gilardino and Iaquinto?

Terrible.

In 2/4 years theyll have a really good side. Lippi the clown will have gone and players like Bonucci, Rannochia, Chiellini, Santon, De Rossi, Marchisio, Candreva, Balotelli, Cassano, Rossi, Macheda in the team. Then it will be competitive. Aquilani might even have strung together a few games.

If they make it past the QF it would be a MASSIVE surprise. They wouldnt beat Spain, England, Brazil or Holland and wouldnt be strong favourites against jokes like Argentina, Ivory coast or France either.
Reply 39
Stu Laverty
x

I tried copy and pasting the teams from the link you gave me but it just went back to the stuff that I originally posted. Then when I tried to re-edit the post again there was nothing there to edit :s-smilie:
Perhaps you could work something out as I haven't a clue what I've done :rofl:

Latest