The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love the fact that the speaking makes up 25% of the grade, because I've basically resgined myself to failing the writing aspect anyway! Well, maybe not the Directed Writing, but the short listening essay... ugh. Far too many topics to revise to create 120 word essays! :O Still, it's only 10 marks - on equal grounds with the translation! The writing just has a massive dark cloud over it - you have to put in a LOT more work to get the marks...
Reply 41
is anyone revising home town, adv/disadv of home area? i'm trying to prioritise and i just don't know how likely that topic is to come up for a third time in four years..
Reply 42
sandracorbett
I got 25/25 in my speaking. However, I will scream if the Directed Writing has people coming to stay with us instead of us going to France!!

whaaat is that possible? Ive never done one with french people coming over here :|
Reply 43
bakesale
whaaat is that possible? Ive never done one with french people coming over here :|

unfortunately, yeah. It's a bit less likely apparently. but i dunno i'm revising it just in case, SQA can be evil sometimes and there are no rules against it.
Reply 44
katieann93
unfortunately, yeah. It's a bit less likely apparently. but i dunno i'm revising it just in case, SQA can be evil sometimes and there are no rules against it.

do you know if it has ever come up before?
Reply 45
random question but..
Je me suis fait beaucoup de nouveaux amis or j'ai fait beaucoup de nouveaux amis

which is correct?
Reply 46
anna0ox
random question but..
Je me suis fait beaucoup de nouveaux amis or j'ai fait beaucoup de nouveaux amis

which is correct?

"J'ai fait beaucoup de nouveaux amis" I think. Faire isn't one of the 16 verbs of motion.
Reply 47
I know it's only a matter of hours before the exam now, but could anyone help me with this essay on computers? Are there any obvious mistakes?

L'ordinateur est indispensable dans notre continent aujourd'hui. Il est très bénéfique parce que la recherche qui sert à se faire dans une bibliothèque peut maintenant être fait dans le confort de nos propres maisons.

J'aime surfer sur Internet. J'ai un blog sur la mode. À mon avis, la mode est très important. J'aime les vêtements, mais, malheureusement, la plupart du temps ils sont trop chers pour moi. Ce que j'aime le plus, c'est de pouvoir parler à mes amis via MSN, sur l'ordinateur. Quand je suis à la recherche d'idées pour un cadeau, je vais sur Internet. Cependant, je n'ai jamais acheter, car je n'ai pas de carte de crédit!

J'ai l'habitude de passer environ deux heures par jour sur l'ordinateur. L'ordinateur est une invention qui a changé nos vies, et je le trouve vraiment génial!
Reply 48
Sarra93
geez...there's an OFFICIAL higher thread for french?!

i just posted on the other one. IT'S A FAKE? :redface:

haha, anyways, GOODLUCK!

I'm sorry to say, but the other one is an imposter :eek:
We bring in our own dictionary don't we?
Reply 50
Je recommenderais un sejour a l'etranger.

I think i'll be taking my own advice after these exams are over :|
Reply 51
anna0ox
random question but..

which is correct?

I know somebody's already answered this but in the 'Higher French Practice Papers' textbook one of the listed directed writing phrases is 'Je me suis fait des amis.' I think it's different than the normal 'verbs of motion' rule because the context makes it reflexive :smile:
Reply 52
Polpettina
I know somebody's already answered this but in the 'Higher French Practice Papers' textbook one of the listed directed writing phrases is 'Je me suis fait des amis.' I think it's different than the normal 'verbs of motion' rule because the context makes it reflexive :smile:

Aww I see, I suppose because it's like 'I made myself lots of new friends.' Sorry!
rjgg10
do you know if it has ever come up before?

Hi, there has never been an SQA paper with them coming to visit us but there has been a P & N prelim one. However, there has been a German SQA one which is quite worrying as all modern languages follow the same course, obviously. So one may come up :/

I'm betting on Family/Health/Technology for listening?

Good luck guys!! I'm guessing we'll all be here this tomorrow afternoon?!
Reply 54
sandracorbett
Hi, there has never been an SQA paper with them coming to visit us but there has been a P & N prelim one. However, there has been a German SQA one which is quite worrying as all modern languages follow the same course, obviously. So one may come up :/

Oh man, that is a worry, the only directed writing I've written about outside of France was a visit to a distillery in Scotland. But I guess you can still share a room with your penpal, or visit tourist sites etc.

Our class used that logic for the short essay on computers aswell!
Reply 55
The chances of the writings being similar to the P & N 2010 ones are mighty slim eh?
Reply 56
technology, computers and tv and such- could there be a short essay on that??
ohgodohgodohgod.
Reply 57
My french teacher said she thinks it could be either foreign languages of town vs country for the listening/writing this year, if that helps anyone! Has anyone got any good phrases on les langues etrangers?
Reply 58
I've never done anything on technology! Is that even a possible question??
Reply 59
For Directed Writing, i'm thinking maybe an exchange visit, as it came up 02 and 05, and not since. Pretty sure it won't be a job as it came up last year. Hopefully if it is an exchange it isn't them coming to Scotland. :eek3:

For short writing, i'm thinking either:

Advantage of learning foreign languages, Health, or Life after school.

Latest