The Student Room Group

Just thinking ahead.

Okay Im only starting uni this september but Iv been thinking about my 2nd year accom already-ha uber geek. Righto my parents have got a flat in Edinburgh for me to stay in 2nd year onwards. And they said that I would basically have to live off the rent I get from people moving in with me. Do you think it would a bad idea to ask friends to move-because I wouldn't like to ask for rent. Or should I just put up with randoms? Has anyone been in this sistuation before?
Reply 1
PublicSchoolAnn
Okay Im only starting uni this september but Iv been thinking about my 2nd year accom already-ha uber geek. Righto my parents have got a flat in Edinburgh for me to stay in 2nd year onwards. And they said that I would basically have to live off the rent I get from people moving in with me. Do you think it would a bad idea to ask friends to move-because I wouldn't like to ask for rent. Or should I just put up with randoms? Has anyone been in this sistuation before?

defo ask them for rent, if they go somewhere else then they are gonna have to pay rent anyways.

as its your friends you could give them a good deal. If you don't get rent from them what you gonna live off!?

I think you need to escape the guilty mentality it seems you are experiencing because otherwise you may get taken for a ride, and end up not really being able to address the situation of getting your friends to pay you rent money!

think of it this way, if you don't ask them for rent then you/ your parents will be paying their way. I know they may be your friends but i doubt whether real friends will expect to get a free ride!

* hope it helps, and hope it doesn't sound harsh*
Reply 2
yeh definately ask them, i have friends doing this and they basically just charged the going rate in the area (in dundee it's about 200-250 pcm + bills), your friends aren't going to be funny about it- they can't expect you to give them somewhere to live for free. All i would advise against is asking people to live with you too early (ie. before Christmas, I know people who've done this and totally regret it because a lot can change aftre the first term). Oh and be warned, I know one guy who has the smallest room in his house so he feels less guilty about getting rent off his friends...

lou xxx
Reply 3
I started a similar thread in the UCL forums...

Im in a similar position :smile: (except for the living of the flat thingy)

Im still not sure what to do. The majority of students would never be able to live in my flat due to the costs. The only people that would, would be high earning professionals :s-smilie:
Reply 4
friends are friends, money is money. there has to be a clear distinction and im sure your friends will appreciate this - if they don't they shouldve brought a flat then, shouldn't they?
Reply 5
lol ok that sounded harsh - but its the truth. you have to be decisive ann! if your friends don't pay up you'll still have to chuck them out! saying that though if they do have any problems paying for rent due to payslip times etc etc then i suppose you could give them an extension before they pay!
Reply 6
But that wont be easy if they are your good friends...
You cant exactly tell them to fck of if they dont pay up, because they will probably be struggling as it is.
Reply 7
just get a standing order/ direct debit set up. sorted. and don't feel bad about asking for rent, thats crazy! there's no reason you have to tell them about the arrangement you have with your parents. and since your parents own it, you are saving them stress from not having to a) house hunt, b) deal with landlords and money by saving on agency fees which are generally around 100/ 150 quid. and its likely to be nicer than the average student hole. you are in a PLEASANT position, don't worry!
Reply 8
If i were you i wouldnt tell them its your flat because then they wont pay on time and as your their friendyou wont want to be harsh with them!
Reply 9
A friend of mine lives in a flat owned by her parents. The problem for her was that the flat wasn't that near to the uni and not in the cheapest area, so she had difficulty finding any one to share the flat with her, as many of her friends prefered to live in cheaper areas, closer to the uni.

I do think it's only fair that they do pay rent.
My parents bought my brother a flat in Edinburgh when he went into his second year and at the moment he has friends in and it's fine. He charges a little less than the standard rent for the area but this year he has 2 people living with him whereas he only had one last year. I would say it's better to live with people who you know you like and trust and they should respect you and pay rent and stuff on time- you'll probably have a tenancy agreement drawn up and they should really give you a bond in case they want to leave or they break anything. Whereabouts is the flat? If it's central you should have no problem finding people who want to live with you. I would personally want to go for friends because I'd wonder why anybody who placed/responded to an advert didn't have friends who wanted to live with them! x
Of course they should pay you rent. Just agree a fair price and set up a standing order.

Latest

Trending

Trending