The Student Room Group

Self Study A-Level Politics

Hey guys,

I'd like to know what you think about self studying A Level politics? I am very passionate about the subject but my sixth form didn't do it, I have now finished sixth form and am on a gap year, I found a site that allows me to start studying from home now (http://www.ukopencollege.co.uk/a-level-government-and-politics-p-497.html) so I thought I could start on the AS and take the AS exams in January, then the A2 ones June 2011? Anyway, do you guys think this is possible? Would it be a difficult course for a politically active guy?:smile: Would coursework etc be difficult withiut teachers?

Cheers! Appreciate any wise words guys.
Reply 1
OK guys I don't want to pay for that £300 self study thing, I'd like to just get the revision guides and order the exam myself. Don't know where to start really!
I self study, but I'm registered at a college for taking exams etc. Talk to the school you were at, they may allow you to sit it there so you wont have to pay to take it else where.

In terms of learning it: easy.
Reply 3
I seriously think you could do it by self study if you were motivated to do so. Like most A-Levels, Politics is about ticking boxes and mentioning key events and theories and explaining them to a limited degree. I don't know which exam board you'd do it with but revision guides for AQA arts subjects were generally very, very good when I took A-Levels. I seem to remember, in particular, the model answers for Law being top notch. I say go for it; if you can put the work in (and it won't be that much if you're already interested and knowledgeable) then you should be fine.
Reply 4
paddy__power
I self study, but I'm registered at a college for taking exams etc. Talk to the school you were at, they may allow you to sit it there so you wont have to pay to take it else where.

In terms of learning it: easy.

I emailed AQA asking them how to enter for the exam and I'll just ask my school if I can sit the paper there. How are you practicing for the exam? :smile: Just doing past papers etc? I was thinking of getting a tutor to mark some essays for me once I've covered some of the content so I can get the hang of what they want, they charge £15 to read it and mark it with feedback etc so I suppose that is reasonable as I am currently working whilst on this gap year.

dannymccs
I seriously think you could do it by self study if you were motivated to do so. Like most A-Levels, Politics is about ticking boxes and mentioning key events and theories and explaining them to a limited degree. I don't know which exam board you'd do it with but revision guides for AQA arts subjects were generally very, very good when I took A-Levels. I seem to remember, in particular, the model answers for Law being top notch. I say go for it; if you can put the work in (and it won't be that much if you're already interested and knowledgeable) then you should be fine.

Cheers for the insight! I've started reading a textbook I borrowed from the library and it's straightforward stuff so far, I'll have to get some sort of past papers or something as obviously self studying I won't have any assignments. There are practice questions in my book, but they do not have any answers and they haven't really provided any example essays. The book I borrowed is called The Essentials of UK Politics by Andrew Heywood, I think I'll look into AQA guides if they are as good as you say :smile: Was this the one you used at all?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Government-Politics-Aqa-Level/dp/0748798218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273754819&sr=8-1

Thanks!
alevelsguy
I emailed AQA asking them how to enter for the exam and I'll just ask my school if I can sit the paper there.

Cheers for the insight! I've started reading a textbook I borrowed from the library and it's straightforward stuff so far, I'll have to get some sort of past papers or something as obviously self studying I won't have any assignments. There are practice questions in my book, but they do not have any answers and they haven't really provided any example essays. The book I borrowed is called The Essentials of UK Politics by Andrew Heywood, I think I'll look into AQA guides if they are as good as you say :smile: Was this the one you used at all?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Government-Politics-Aqa-Level/dp/0748798218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273754819&sr=8-1

Thanks!

Best of luck.
Reply 6
paddy__power
Best of luck.

Cheers fella, I accidently deleted a bit of that post but it's back in now if you don't mind replying to it :tongue:
alevelsguy
Cheers fella, I accidently deleted a bit of that post but it's back in now if you don't mind replying to it :tongue:

I'm not doing anything, I just blag it. I will take some basic notes though at soe point for A2.

If you are on good terms with any of yuor old teachers they may take a look for you rather than waste your money like that.
Reply 8
Ah, sounds good :p:
Reply 9
alevelsguy
Hey guys,

I'd like to know what you think about self studying A Level politics? I am very passionate about the subject but my sixth form didn't do it, I have now finished sixth form and am on a gap year, I found a site that allows me to start studying from home now (http://www.ukopencollege.co.uk/a-level-government-and-politics-p-497.html) so I thought I could start on the AS and take the AS exams in January, then the A2 ones June 2011? Anyway, do you guys think this is possible? Would it be a difficult course for a politically active guy?:smile: Would coursework etc be difficult withiut teachers?

Cheers! Appreciate any wise words guys.

I'll be doing the EXACT same thing as youuuu!!!! :woo: except I need to do Philosophy as well lol. I'll be on my gap year, doing the AS exams in Jan and the A2 in June.
PM me if you wanna go collaborative!! :biggrin:
x
Reply 10
alevelsguy

Thanks!

Well, as far as I can remember, I was under Ed-excel for Politics at A-Level so unfortunately I can't comment on the AQA Politics book but their equivalents in Law were very useful. In particular, the modular revision guides broke things down to concise, easy to learn points and offered E, C and A grade answers to a number of exam questions so it made it clear what criteria made up a top answer. I don't think you can go far wrong with a textbook like this though- we've used Andrew Heywood (albeit a different book) at degree level so nothing wrong on that front. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending