The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Passion for your subject, know your subject inside out, and learn how to pass the exams!
dont put things off for last min,
read the recommended readings - make notes, reference them - file them for future reference (maybe not just relevant to 1 module)
keep everything in order, dont loose lecture/seminar notes
go prepared to lectures and seminars, its no fun sitting there not understanding whats going on
ask for help if you need it, if you dont understand something ask!
um dont allow yourself to miss stuff thinking "its just one seminar, its not like i was going to learn anything there anyway"
x
On some nights it will come down to a choice between the pub and work.

So it depends how serious you are about getting a first class degree.
Reply 4
Dream Weaver
On some nights it will come down to a choice between the pub and work.

So it depends how serious you are about getting a first class degree.

Nice sig!!! Stone and Parker are so bugged by this situation right now that they just have to laugh about it now.
Reply 5
GoldenTriangle
I start uni this year and I would like some tips from current students as to the best practice for getting a first.

Out of interest, my subject is accounting, finance and management. Although the advice may be relevant to any subject.

I got a 1st in physics, without ever working past 9pm. I think the key is to always be a couple of weeks ahead of the rest of the class with your problems sheets and coursework, so then when it does come to exam time, you have nothing else to catch up on. So basically try and set aside a 45 minute period each day to do your work, and work through your holidays. So many people come back from Christmas without even having started their revision, and wonder why they're failing their exams.

Other than that: be realistic about your motivation and give yourself rewards for working. I always said "if I do 2 hours solid work now I can go to the pub at 9 o'clock". You always work a lot harder if you feel like you have a time limit. When it is time to work though, turn off your phone, turn off the computer, turn off the tv, take out your earphones, sit at a desk away from all your mates and **** ing work properly.

Here is a very bad revision timetable:

8am subject 1
1pm lunch
2pm subject 1
6pm dinner
7pm subject 1
12am bed

Here is a very good revision timetable:

8am lie in bed
10am subject 1
11am break
11:30 subject 2
12:30 lunch break, relax
2pm subject 3
3pm break
3:30pm subject 4
4:30 break for dinner, tv, relax.
7pm: read up on stuff you didn't understand, make a plan for tomorrow
9pm: pub
1130pm: bed
During term time you'll have to be more organised and work a little harder than everyone else. During the holidays you'll have to actually work.

You'll have to keep up with your lectures and seminars as well.
Reply 7
py0alb
I got a 1st in physics, without ever working past 9pm. I think the key is to always be a couple of weeks ahead of the rest of the class with your problems sheets and coursework, so then when it does come to exam time, you have nothing else to catch up on. So basically try and set aside a 45 minute period each day to do your work, and work through your holidays. So many people come back from Christmas without even having started their revision, and wonder why they're failing their exams.

Other than that: be realistic about your motivation and give yourself rewards for working. I always said "if I do 2 hours solid work now I can go to the pub at 9 o'clock". You always work a lot harder if you feel like you have a time limit. When it is time to work though, turn off your phone, turn off the computer, turn off the tv, take out your earphones, sit at a desk away from all your mates and **** ing work properly.

Here is a very bad revision timetable:

8am subject 1
1pm lunch
2pm subject 1
6pm dinner
7pm subject 1
12am bed

Here is a very good revision timetable:

8am lie in bed
10am subject 1
11am break
11:30 subject 2
12:30 lunch break, relax
2pm subject 3
3pm break
3:30pm subject 4
4:30 break for dinner, tv, relax.
7pm: read up on stuff you didn't understand, make a plan for tomorrow
9pm: pub
1130pm: bed

legend- you are right.

CONGRATS
Study maths or some other quantitatively absolute subject.
Thanks for the good advice, everyone!

My drinking days are behind me so I think there will be fewer distractions :smile:
i got a 1st for my first year (although that didn't count towards the final degree classification) and the only advice I can give you is don't wait till last minute to start your revision. I literally started revising from day one. It might seem unorthodox but if you know your lecture note inside out and understand everything, that's enough to get you through. I did almost no further reading except for things that I didn't understand. If you think about it, would the lecturers set questions on things that wasn't in the lecture notes?
Remember only the second and final years count towards your final degree classification so get all the partying, sloppiness, laziness, 40% targets and debauchery out the way in the first year :yep:
Reply 12
Don't make any friends. They will end up peer pressuring you into going out instead of working. I am satisfied enough with my low 2.1, but if I hadn't made many friends, then I would have spent a lot more time working and got a first. Not having a first has not damaged me, as I still managed to get a place on a PhD course at one of the best universities in the country, but if had been desperate for a first, I know I would be blaming my friends (and of course myself), for jeopardising it.
I still haven't learnt though, I am still going out getting drunk mid-week now, and slumping into the lab hung-over and producing low quality work. It all depends on how seriously you want to take things. I think I can scrape through with an average performance and spend a lot of time messing round. If you want to take things seriously, make sure you do not make friends who are bad influences.
satisverborum2003
If you think about it, would the lecturers set questions on things that wasn't in the lecture notes?

Sure they can.
Reply 14
py0alb

Thanks for mentioning this. I am really really really wanting to try for a 1st myself {Psych} and I think I need to be hit over the head in order to get myself to stop procrastinating...

Have you always been focussed or is it just something you became at uni? I am worried it will be hard to break such a pattern...
GodspeedGehenna
Study maths or some other quantitatively absolute subject.

I don't really think maths at university could fairly be described as 'quantitatively absolute'...
IrrationalNumber
I don't really think maths at university could fairly be described as 'quantitatively absolute'...

Compared to an essay subject, it is.

Maths students are capable of averaging in the 90%'s. Essay students are unlikely to see above 75%.
GodspeedGehenna
Compared to an essay subject, it is.

Maths students are capable of averaging in the 90%'s. Essay students are unlikely to see above 75%.

True, but it's not particularly common for people to get in the 90%s. If you got over 90% at my uni you'd be in the top 3%.
IrrationalNumber

It is.

A constant source of friction between my boyfriend and I is that he can get 90% in exams/coursework (engineering) and I am lucky to see anything over 65% (Psychology). 65 for me = good, 65 for him = 'bad'. One of my lecturers said in 8 years of lecturing the highest mark they have ever given out is one 77%.

Anyway, back to the OP, the revision timetable someone put is a good idea. It is definetely a lot better to keep on top of readings/extra work/etc as you go along, if you get to May and look at it all and realise you don't understand any of it it never ends well.
Reply 19
Stella476
Thanks for mentioning this. I am really really really wanting to try for a 1st myself {Psych} and I think I need to be hit over the head in order to get myself to stop procrastinating...

Have you always been focussed or is it just something you became at uni? I am worried it will be hard to break such a pattern...

No, its something that kicked in about half way through my 2nd year, after I had not bothered revising and only got a low 2:1 in the first set of exams. It also helps that I started to actually get genuinely interested in my subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending