The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1
wahey warwick uni is right next to me!

erm do you look like youre 17?
im 19 and i dont always look it :/ but have had no problems at the varsity near the main warwick campus :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Lt_Lemon
wahey warwick uni is right next to me!

erm do you look like youre 17?
im 19 and i dont always look it :/ but have had no problems at the varsity near the main warwick campus :smile:

not really..i look 18. just don't want to miss out on the whole fresher's week experience...you're only a fresher once!
Reply 3
i dont think you should worry, as long as you go with a group of people you should be okay. if its a designated freshers event then i doubt they would ID everyone. just say you wouldnt be at uni if you werent over 18, and show your student photo ID.. and hope theyre stupid enough to not notice. but prepare yourself to be knocked back :frown:
I would imagine that most places will assume your over 18 anyway if you're at uni.

It's probably cliched, but if you look confident enough, you're less likely to be asked for I.D. Or at least that was the case when I was under age.:woo:
Reply 5
Borrow someone's ID who looks similar to you.
I was 17 for the first 6 weeks last October/November. At the SU, the first time I got ID'd was in Feb/March this year, by the same bouncers who I had walked past many times before. Last freshers they didn't check at all - all you need is the student ID card, which doesn't have your DOB on it.

Off campus can be a bit more tricky. Certainly Leamington's bars and clubs are off limits as they ID me most of the I go. Kasbah - I've got in without being IDd once, but got IDd another time. Lava I got in without being IDd, but also without paying :mmm:

Never been ID'd at the SU's Duck or Terrace Bar though. Tesco always IDs when you purchase alcohol, Costcutter ID'd me once (the first time I bought alcohol from there and never since). Often if you're in a group at Tesco/Costies they may ask for ID from everyone, so be careful of that.
Reply 7
Basically like that TTO says, you'll be fine on campus: the most anyone's ever checked for anything there has been a student ID card to show that you're a student, and not as proof of age.
You're a lot more likely to be ID'd in Cov or Leam, but you likely won't venture there at all during the first term, so it's not an immediate concern.
I expect you would be fine at the Union on campus. If you go into Coventry or Leamington, they are much more likely to ask you for ID, but most people don't really do that in the first year, especially not the first term, so you should be fine.
Reply 9
Miss_Scarlet
I expect you would be fine at the Union on campus. If you go into Coventry or Leamington, they are much more likely to ask you for ID, but most people don't really do that in the first year, especially not the first term, so you should be fine.

Late reply but why don't people go to Cov or Leamington in the first term? They only go to the SU?
lookahead
Late reply but why don't people go to Cov or Leamington in the first term? They only go to the SU?

Not sure to be honest. Some people probably do, but most people enjoyed the SU enough.
lookahead

In the first term friendship groups are still forming, SU is nearby and convenient. Once the groups become more concrete, then they are more prepared to go elsewhere. To the end of the term people get bored and see if they want to try something new (or perhaps the Carnage event or unofficial freshers ball were factors this year) and go off campus.

Most common reasons people go off campus in the first few weeks is because of a soc/sports club social.

Latest