The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

leeds accomodation..i cant chose help!!

ok im finding it really hard to chose and i need to make a decision....i mean i think i have narrowed it down:

jame baille park
opal 3 (although i havent seen that many review on it anyone know much about it??)
Henry Price (although im a bit worried i wont get an ensuite)

basically i know i the essentials:

good location (as near to uni as poss and close to best night life)
I want to be in a lively student area
ensuite

and preferably car parking, maybe a gym....

anyone got any recommendations or could tell me more...particulary about opal 3??

anyone else going to be first years at leeds uni this sept?? feel free to message me and il send you my facebk add :smile:
thanks guys :smile:

xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bethyyy
ok im finding it really hard to chose and i need to make a decision....i mean i think i have narrowed it down:

jame baille park
opal 3 (although i havent seen that many review on it anyone know much about it??)
Henry Price (although im a bit worried i wont get an ensuite)

basically i know i the essentials:

good location (as near to uni as poss and close to best night life)
I want to be in a lively student area
ensuite

and preferably car parking, maybe a gym....

anyone got any recommendations or could tell me more...particulary about opal 3??

anyone else going to be first years at leeds uni this sept?? feel free to message me and il send you my facebk add :smile:
thanks guys :smile:

xxx

this link ought to be helpful...
ask here and moonbeam will deffa help you out

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1110713
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
ok thanks :smile: x
Henry Price has a small amount of parking though you're not allowed to park in it (there's a barrier) unless you have a disability. I thought Opal was a private halls, though it's fairly new so that would explain the lack of reviews. Neither HP nor JBP have a gym to my knowledge, though at HP you're 2 minutes walk away from one on campus. It's also close to town and the Faversham.

As regards the en-suite, is it vital you have a bathroom to yourself? At HP you will most likely share between two, but you will have a door onto the bathroom from your room, so it's very private. Any more questions, quote me and I'll get back to you - I stayed in HP in my first year, and I've stayed in three different halls as well as visiting others, so feel free to ask! :smile:
Reply 4
you say opal3 is private halls sorry what does ithat mean?? (sorry if thats a really stupid question)

Hp does look ideal so u stayed there in your first yr?? what was the location like? was it godd living on campus? kuz iv heard good and bad things about living on campus?

also i head that theres no lock on the doors of shared bathroom which kinda freaks me out a bit???

over all would you say hp was a good choice? soz for all the questions! thanks :smile: x
opal :smile: maybe a bit biast due to working in the one in huddersfield though. my sister also lives in the one in bradford and loves it, anything breaks it get replaces quickly
Reply 6
opal 3 does look nice although i notice theres less students there compared to others (number wise) does that matter??

any idea on james baillie park?? x
Reply 7
james baillie is sposed to have a really good social life. its in a great student area, with bars, cafes, supermarkets etc all really close. it only takes 15mins to walk to uni so its pretty close. loads of parking. ensuite. no gym tho.. ive applied for JBP :smile: it looks awesome, and ive heard really good reviews about it. hope that helps x
I stayed in Henry Price on this summer school thing and thought itwas really good, im also from Leeds so yesss it is in a good spot for headingley nightlife!
Reply 9
ahhh i really cant decide now!!

i mean hp is on campus which is ideal but iv heard from different people its not so good living on campus? is it far from city centre?

JBP does look good...apart from the gym situation but im sure i could find one! and i really want an ensuite do you know how close it is to city centre?? as i hear opal3 is right in city centre???

sorry for all the questions!
Its about 10-15 mins walk down a hill to the city centre, but headingley is 5 mins away and thats where all the student nightlife is !
james baillie, its honestly the best decision.
bethyyy

Hp does look ideal so u stayed there in your first yr?? what was the location like? was it godd living on campus? kuz iv heard good and bad things about living on campus?

also i head that theres no lock on the doors of shared bathroom which kinda freaks me out a bit???

over all would you say hp was a good choice? soz for all the questions! thanks :smile: x

What bad things did you hear about living on campus? I can't think of anything particularly negative apart from the fact it isn't as close to Headingley as some other halls.

There are locks on the outside of the bathroom doors i.e. you can lock the door from your bedroom. There are no locks on the inside though. I think it's pretty much always the case that you share with someone of the same sex which helps to alleviate some of the worries you might have :wink:

The gym on campus should be ready soon (they have been redeveloping it for a while now). I think Leeds have been boasting it will be one (if not the) biggest University gyms in the country. Also they reckon that the equipment they will have will rival even the top private firms. There's a new swimming pool that will be available to students too which sounds pretty decent to me. Also I think Accomoffice posted on here that certain facilities in the gym will be free to use for students who pay rent for University halls - seems pretty handy for first year students! :p:
Reply 13
residentmaths101
james baillie, its honestly the best decision.

lol it does look pretty good! although im thinking maybe opal 3 is better i mean just as it right in city cente and has its own gym?? im just worried as i havent heard a lot about it from people??
Reply 14
TheWizard
What bad things did you hear about living on campus? I can't think of anything particularly negative apart from the fact it isn't as close to Headingley as some other halls.

There are locks on the outside of the bathroom doors i.e. you can lock the door from your bedroom. There are no locks on the inside though. I think it's pretty much always the case that you share with someone of the same sex which helps to alleviate some of the worries you might have :wink:

The gym on campus should be ready soon (they have been redeveloping it for a while now). I think Leeds have been boasting it will be one (if not the) biggest University gyms in the country. Also they reckon that the equipment they will have will rival even the top private firms. There's a new swimming pool that will be available to students too which sounds pretty decent to me. Also I think Accomoffice posted on here that if you go to a University hall certain certain facilities in the gym will be included in the rent and so will be free to use which i pretty handy for first year students :p:

apparently living in campus is less sociable as everyone goes out in city centre at its further away from city centre...and theres no common room at hp? i may be wrong just what iv read?

i dont understand why there wouldnt be locks on the inside? it just really creeps me out!! do you know how likely it is you will get an ensuite if you request it??

thats pretty cool about the gym!!! ahhh i really cnt decide! if only hp were ensuite!
bethyyy
apparently living in campus is less sociable as everyone goes out in city centre at its further away from city centre...and theres no common room at hp? i may be wrong just what iv read?

i dont understand why there wouldnt be locks on the inside? it just really creeps me out!! do you know how likely it is you will get an ensuite if you request it??

thats pretty cool about the gym!!! ahhh i really cnt decide! if only hp were ensuite!

HP isn't that far away from the city centre. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from HP to the first set of clubs/bars that you come to, most people I knew tended to get taxis everywhere anyway so going somewhere wasn't a problem :p: I never had any problems with lack of a sociable atmosphere anyway, but of course, the main thing is who you end up with in your flat.

That's right, there's no common room but this was never an issue for myself or anyone I knew. There are obviously advantages to having a common room (easier to mingle/make friends at the begining maybe?) we compensated for that by visiting other flats in our block the first few days and having "block" parties which we invited all the flats in our blocks too :smile: .

I guess there are no locks on the inside because you would get idiots locking the neighbour's door from the inside so they couldn't get in themselves :biggrin: I never had any problem with this system, myself and the person who I was sharing a bathroom with just used common sense and knocked before we went in. To be honest the bathrooms are quite small so even if someone opened the door they wouldn't even be able to see you or get in without a lot of pushing and shoveing lol

If you're going to apply for an ensuite at HP then don't get your hopes up too much. Most of the flats have just one ensuite in them and I reckon a lot of people request them :yes: If it is really a big issue for you then you might want to apply to somewhere with a larger ratio of ensuite rooms (not sure what the numbers are in the other halls you've mentioned).

Don't rush your decision, you've got plenty of time until the deadline anyway haven't you? And it's not first come first served so don't feel you have to make a decision right now :p:
bethyyy
lol it does look pretty good! although im thinking maybe opal 3 is better i mean just as it right in city cente and has its own gym?? im just worried as i havent heard a lot about it from people??

Theres a gym at uni, its isnt really essential i dont think. The positive attributes of james baillie, severely out-weigh the negtives.

If you have any questions, pm me.
Hey, ive applied to Opal 3 and it seems pretty nice, the bedrooms are big compared to some of the other accomodation ive seen and the kitchen/ living room is a good size. I think all of the rooms have en-suites don't think i could share a bathroom ha! It is pretty much in the city center so thats also a bonus (no money on taxis unless your going away from the city centre) and the flats are shared by smaller numbers than halls, it is quite pricey but i think everywhere is more expensive this year.

Hope it helps :o:
bethyyy

The city centre is about 5-10 mins walk from campus. You also have the student union bars right where you live, what you say has some SLIGHT truth in it in that you can feel like you're on campus all the time and might end up spending all your social time in the student bar but only if you're lazy.

I personally am a fan of the Headingley accommodations. Headingley is about 25-30 min walk from campus, or about 10 min on the bus (its all down the main road so no worries about which one to get, you can get any). I just think from a social point of view living in Headingley is the best of all worlds, you're in the student village, have all the shops nearby and the nice bars/cafes. Then you're on a bus route into campus and town (and its walkable).

Overally though bethyyy don't stress too much about it, you will have a good social life wherever you live in Leeds, and all the accommodations are very well run and maintained, the accommodation service at Leeds is very good.
Reply 19
true true! i just hate decisions lol x

Latest