The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
Im starting in Durham this year. Just out of curiosity, when would we be sitting exams?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by sverme
Im starting in Durham this year. Just out of curiosity, when would we be sitting exams?

The exam period is usually around 15th May to 5th June. Resit period is around 17th to 30th August.

So mid May to the first few days of June. Results are then received in late June and registration takes place. Resits are in August with results of those given in September.

Original post by THRASHx
I really think ive failed my resits :frown: Does anyone know when I can find out the results? Can I find out early too cus if im getting kicked out then I wanna know asap so I can apply to other places!

You probably know this now but results are released on the 15th (first years) and following day for remaining students.
Hmm, for some reason 'My Maths Timetable' has changed back to my timetable for Michaelmas term last year...anyone else?
I'm hoooooooome!
Original post by purple-girl
I'm hoooooooome!

When're you heading back to Durham?
Question - I recently bought something on ebay. Seller sent it to my old address (long story) but, before I realised this, already opened a case as it hadn't arrived (at proper address). Ebay have unexpectedly given me a refund once they realised it was sent to the incorrect address.

I still might get the item, as the agent at my previous Durham house has the Royal Mail card and gave me the details. So I arranged a redelivery for Monday (still mightn't turn up, as the Royal Mail place at Belmont frequently loses/misplaces items).

If it turns up, should I send the item back to him, or should I just keep it for free? :p:
Ahh I haven't been on this thread for a while. How is everyone doing?

Gotta present my analysis results to my supervisor on Tuesday, and then the joys of paper writing (publication maybe)

(tl;dr I have been busy all summer)
Well, I got a free Xbox 360 today :smile:

But I somehow cut my hand when going to answer the door to receive it :frown:
Has the timetable structure been changed this year so that afternoon lectures start on the hour rather than quarter past?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by River85
Well, I got a free Xbox 360 today :smile:

But I somehow cut my hand when going to answer the door to receive it :frown:

Wow, how'd you get that?

Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
Has the timetable structure been change this year so that afternoon lectures start on the hour rather than quarter past?

I'd be interested if anyone knows about this - the physics timetable talks about the hour rather than quarter past, and I assumed it was just being vague...
Original post by Awoodrow2

Wow, how'd you get that?

I'd be interested if anyone knows about this - the physics timetable talks about the hour rather than quarter past, and I assumed it was just being vague...

Yeah my maths timetable (now updated for this year) has also got them starting on the hour...
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
Yeah my maths timetable (now updated for this year) has also got them starting on the hour...

Surely they can't be changing the timetable? That 15 minutes is pretty important for lunch...
Has anyone been to Strasbourg? I'm thinking of getting the train there sometime next term, or over the Easter hols. If so, any tips for cheap accomodation? There's a museum over the border in Germany I'd like to visit for my dissertation, but will base myself at Strasbourg.

Wow, how'd you get that

Second hand, the ebay delivery I mentioned earlier. I miss beating my previous housemate (who's now left Durham) at Fifa and, sorta, Tiger. So now I can do it on Live :cool: *

Was sent to my old address in Durham instead of my parent's (sure I deleted the address) and seller has given me a refund because of this, or ebay have ordered him to. I was able to get my previous agent to scan the Royal Mail card and send it to me by email, then I arranged a redelivery. So, yeah, given a refund and it arrives.

I'll probably give the seller a cheque. It sinks of nicotine though.

*I do other things apart from play games and piss about on TSR. Honest.
Original post by River85
*I do other things apart from play games and piss about on TSR. Honest.

Then you're a better man than the rest of us!

Surely they can't be changing the timetable? That 15 minutes is pretty important for lunch...

I know, I hope not :frown: The module timetable online still has the day down as 9.00-6.15, but on that timetable too when you put a module in they're down as starting on the hour.
Reply 4375
Does anyone know about appeals? If so, could you check out my thread please? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1784604
I dont really know much about the whole process but im filling one in so could do with a bit more info if someone could provide it please.
Original post by THRASHx
Does anyone know about appeals? If so, could you check out my thread please? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1784604
I dont really know much about the whole process but im filling one in so could do with a bit more info if someone could provide it please.

Have you spoken to Sharon?
Reply 4377
Original post by River85
Have you spoken to Sharon?

Yeah so far shes been pretty useless. I tried ringing her all day on Thursday but there was no answer, she was responding to my emails on Friday and im working today so cant phone her but she never replied to any of the emails I sent over the weekend.
Its really annoying because shes probably doing f'all at the minute.
And no one will advise me on what to do, I want to know whether I should attempt to go through clearing or to hold out for the appeal but I really dont want a year out, if I have to do that I may as well resit some modules of my A levels and I wouldnt even bother applying to Durham again :mad:
Original post by THRASHx
Yeah so far shes been pretty useless.

Well, I need to be careful what I'm saying here....but I'm not surpised. It's a shame Barbara isn't available during the holidays any more.

Have you tried the DSU?

And no one will advise me on what to do, I want to know whether I should attempt to go through clearing or to hold out for the appeal but I really dont want a year out, if I have to do that I may as well resit some modules of my A levels and I wouldnt even bother applying to Durham again :mad:

I don't have any experience of appeals (came close to needing to make one but fortunately I was able to ruffle some feathers an alternative way and sorted things out) so I can't really give any advice. But I believe a faculty appeal should take up to 6 weeks.
Reply 4379
Original post by River85
Well, I need to be careful what I'm saying here....but I'm not surpised. It's a shame Barbara isn't available during the holidays any more.

Have you tried the DSU?

I don't have any experience of appeals (came close to needing to make one but fortunately I was able to ruffle some feathers an alternative way and sorted things out) so I can't really give any advice. But I believe a faculty appeal should take up to 6 weeks.

From what ive heard and seen im not the only one who has a problem with her. In fact, everyone I know whos dealt with her thinks shes useless whereas ive always quite liked her, shes fine when im in Durham but maybe thats cus she knows ill go to her office :tongue:
But yeah, I did email Barbara cus I knew id get a quicker response, she did email me back on Friday night actually but she told me to get in touch with Sharon.

Would you mind expanding on that alternative method? :tongue: via PM if necessary?
I was so close to passing all of them too, I think I passed 4 out of the 6 modules and failed the other 2 marginally :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest