The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

1) I can get by without it for a few days, but generally I need it for society reasons. Plus I'm lazy :P
2) Still got a few weeks until the deadline and it's getting there. I'm hoping to see him sometime this week, maybe even tomorrow if he's free...
3) Well, I was sortof hoping to stay with the current lot, cos this would be the 3rd year in a row I've had to find new housemates and I can't think of many people that I'd feel comfortable living with given most of my friends are either graduating this year or living back in, and I can give at least 5 reasons why I don't want to go back into college. I'm also annoyed that I've heard this basically via another housmate and not from the others themselves and they've never indicated they were having any issues with living with me.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Oh my God. Where is everyone? It's barren in here =/

*Wanders back to the REAL WORLD with TAXES and stuff*
(edited 12 years ago)
Are Hallam students welcome in your Union without getting dirty looks?

:tongue:
I know, I'm surprised 'coursework info' hasn't been over a few times with its spiel....
Original post by isawsparks89
I know, I'm surprised 'coursework info' hasn't been over a few times with its spiel....

:rofl:

Awesome :hat2:

Didn't get to see much of the Lumiere. Parents came down on Saturday night but it didn't end well with the crowds and my father's impatience. Ended up walking back to my house after half an hour :frown:
Original post by isawsparks89

Original post by River85
:rofl:

Awesome :hat2:

Didn't get to see much of the Lumiere. Parents came down on Saturday night but it didn't end well with the crowds and my father's impatience. Ended up walking back to my house after half an hour :frown:

Yay people!

I heard about Lumiere via a facebook feed of pure anger.

I don't get it though, it sounded awesome. Plus, being frank, I can't ever remember a single time in my three years there that I was in a rush to go anywhere in Durham. Durham = College, Tesco, College Bar, end of tbh.
I really enjoyed the bits I saw but the organisation was pretty crazy. The one way system they put in place was a bit of a nightmare and they actually set up 'holding pens' for people who'd turned the wrong way and risked messing up the system! At times, with the way the police were and stuff, it felt like they were hurding animals or that it was some sort of protest lol. Still, I guess that sort of thing is to be expected when a place as small as Durham suddenly has a massive influx of thousands of people. :/ The park and ride here at Howlands was completely full by around 5.30pm and the queue to get the bus down into Durham included a wait of over 30 minutes lol. Crackers.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
affinity89

Spoiler

Awesome photos.

There were 75,000 people in 2009 and 150,000 this year. I don't think they were expecting so many.

Poor planning on my part. I didn't know it would be so poorly organized but should have stayed at my house and waited till about nine. It was apparently relatively quiet after 9 on Saturday. I almost got run over by a bus though - that was fun.

Because of the safety fears there is talk that it won't be returning which is disappointing as I missed it in 2009.
Reply 4428
Meh I was disappointed. We have a light festival in my village at home which I remember as being way cooler. And yes this year the crowds and the awkward one-way traffic sucked.

The atmosphere was nice though and it was lovely to wander around for a bit. But I did feel like a caged tourist which is in my top 3 of things I hate to feel like.

Pretty pictures
http://zententia.blogspot.com/2011/11/alumer-la-lumiere.html
I got bloody stuck and robbie probably got stuck getting home too, it was a massive inconvenience this year. An enjoyable festival but the arrangements in 2nd year were much better than this year.

It DID still look beautiful, I have to admit. Their one way pedestrianised system through durham didn't work AT ALL though. Having to wait 20 minutes to get from waterstones area to hatfield?! I mean, COME ONNNN.
The paternalistic attitude of this university, and one department in particular, can once again **** off.

Who says people treat you more as an adult at university? I had more freedom and respect in sixth form (and I went to quite a strict and controlling Catholic school!)
Can anyone tell me where I should send a complaint to the university? Im not sure who to direct it to so if anyone can tell me who I should speak to in the university and the role of someone in the college I should speak to that would be great.

Cheers
Original post by hypercaine.
Can anyone tell me where I should send a complaint to the university? Im not sure who to direct it to so if anyone can tell me who I should speak to in the university and the role of someone in the college I should speak to that would be great.

Cheers

Have you tried to resolve things informally first with the specific member(s) of staff or person/people involved?

You should be able to seek advice from your Senior Tutor and an appropriate member of academic staff in your department (unless, like when I made one, it was the Senior Tutor and departments who were the subject of the complaint :p: ). You can also get advice from DSU and the Deputy Academic Registrar's Office.

You make a formal complain by submitting a formal complaint form and sending it to the Deputy Academic Registrar's Office in Old Shire Hall.

Have you looked at the Complaints Procedure?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/university.calendar/volumei/codes_of_practice/complaints_procedure_for_students/
Hi guys! I have a 6000 word, 60% summative due on Monday, for which I have written 250 words, so this is clearly a great time to return to TSR (I like the baubles along the top...)

Re: Lumiere talk - I built it :proud:
Reply 4434
T-T-Tyne and Wear Metro!
Original post by arkbar
T-T-Tyne and Wear Metro!

Urgh.
Reply 4436
Merry Christmas :h:
Why do I worry so much :s-smilie: At the moment I keep thinking that I'm going to fail my degree and then fail to get a job/PhD/whatever given the last couple of years didn't exactly go well for no apparent reason other than my memory failing me...

so if anyone has any tips on how to get facts to stick into my head that'd be much appreciated, even if it is 5 months until exams...

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, by the way! Anyone have any exciting plans for new year?
Reply 4438
First essay ever, not knowing what to do even though I know what's going in there.
And I can't be bothered, completely.
It's due the first friday back but I have exams on tuesday and thursday, so time for essay? I'm not sure about that D:
So stressing over it. That, or maybe I need to just stop after only doing planning =P
Original post by Gilbird
First essay ever, not knowing what to do even though I know what's going in there.
And I can't be bothered, completely.
It's due the first friday back but I have exams on tuesday and thursday, so time for essay? I'm not sure about that D:
So stressing over it. That, or maybe I need to just stop after only doing planning =P

Don't stress. I'm sure you'll be fine.

If it makes you feel any better, my term started yesterday. Two days in 9am until 4.30pm so far. Well and truly back in the routine. Christmas feels like an age ago. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest