The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awoodrow2
Yeahhh, I remember how much you've enjoyed college fish in the past. :tongue: The Friday fish is the only one I trust, since it's difficult to get wrong. The rest are a bit... fishy.

I avoid fish at all costs, I just remember having salmon at formal that one time...at least since then they've tended to prerelease the menus and next year I won't *have* to go to formal every time anyway. Though I still intend to go to most formals given I've missed out the past couple of years.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4581
Original post by purple-girl
Chemistry department's evil :P. And in hindsight it's obvious from day 1 with Hughes' evil lecture. Actually maybe from day about -30 when they send you a load of summer work...

I did Biological Chem this year. As a biologist it seemed nice and fluffy until it got to the exam.

Good luck with labs! Only done organic myself and that was stressful enough. I think it's the atmosphere of the lab that makes it worse than it should be, with 100 odd students trying to do the same thing with demonstrators giving conflicting info and there being a shortage of equipment. Trust me, don't let them put you off working in a lab later in life, it's a completely different atmosphere.

Tell me about it, that was the most demoralising thing in a while. I had tutorials with him as well *shock horror from everyone*. Maybe it's just me but he's growing on me.

Is it just me or is that Biochem guy scaring me? What's his name...urm....I can't remember. He did MBL's cell signal bit last year. I was so scared of him, my problem class let us out late and he's like YOU'RE LATE, I was thinking, wow, thanks for the first impression x.x

Eh, I passed with a 2:2 this year and that's first year, oh well.
Well, Biological Chem would be next year anyway, I've got my spanish to worry about. No worries, it's going to be Spanish Sundays for me :P

I hope this year's not worse than first year's labs :P

Btw, awful pun Alex. :P

Oh, and, where do I find a bike? I can do with one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gilbird
Tell me about it, that was the most demoralising thing in a while. I had tutorials with him as well *shock horror from everyone*. Maybe it's just me but he's growing on me.

Is it just me or is that Biochem guy scaring me? What's his name...urm....I can't remember. He did MBL's cell signal bit last year. I was so scared of him, my problem class let us out late and he's like YOU'RE LATE, I was thinking, wow, thanks for the first impression x.x

Eh, I passed with a 2:2 this year and that's first year, oh well.
Well, Biological Chem would be next year anyway, I've got my spanish to worry about. No worries, it's going to be Spanish Sundays for me :P

I hope this year's not worse than first year's labs :P

Oh, and, where do I find a bike? I can do with one.

Yeah, we had that lecture at 5pm on the first day of lectures just before formall...not nice really! To be honest, he may be evil but he was a brilliant lecturer, I really enjoyed his Core 1A course and I've heard good things about his 3rd year inorganic course.

Signalling, I guess you mean Cann? Yeah he can be scary but I love his stuff. I just got annoyed that he always went through everything so quickly and then had half hour lectures, he should've slowed down a bit but hey.

To be honest I don't really remember first year labs much but 2nd and 3rd year are completely different as you're in the lab all day. I just remember going into my very first lab session and being surrounded by people who'd already done one session and I had no idea what to do and it was all very confusing!
Original post by Gilbird

Thanks. :tongue:
Reply 4584
To any Law students/applicants,
do you know how much weight Durham place on the LNAT score? And whether they look at your essay?
Thanks.
Reply 4585
Wow, this is dead again!

Who's in Durham now apart from me? Beginning to feel a little alone :P
I'm back next Sunday for a compulsary 2 week Biology workshop thing. Back a bit early aren't you??

I'm actually quite looking forward to being back, getting bored and fed up at home. Though summer's gone far too quickly...guess that's what happens when you've been working for most of it *sigh*. I feel as if there's a load of stuff I need to do but can't think what...
Reply 4587
I'm back next Sunday for a compulsary 2 week Biology workshop thing. Back a bit early aren't you??

I'm actually quite looking forward to being back, getting bored and fed up at home. Though summer's gone far too quickly...guess that's what happens when you've been working for most of it *sigh*. I feel as if there's a load of stuff I need to do but can't think what...

Ouch, compulsory workshops.

Only back early cause I know I'd be fed up of home, it's the same day in day out, not doing much and be really hot.
It's the same for me, there's this unpacking, but I just can't be bothered :P
Original post by Gilbird
Wow, this is dead again!

Who's in Durham now apart from me? Beginning to feel a little alone :P

Three weeks til I'm back up to do Environmenty stuff for Freshers Week.

Looking forward to it! :smile:
Original post by Gilbird
Ouch, compulsory workshops.

Only back early cause I know I'd be fed up of home, it's the same day in day out, not doing much and be really hot.
It's the same for me, there's this unpacking, but I just can't be bothered :P

Eh, it's not so bad, means I get 75% of a module out of the way early (damn 25% exam, grrr) and a good excuse to come back early. Only annoying thing about it is having to find alternative accomodation for those few weeks given I'm going back into college, but luckily I know people living out so it should be fine! At least it's not in the couple of weeks after exams which apparently it will be from next year...

Really getting fed up of home myself, it's been 10 weeks and my mother is driving me mad. I was considering applying to Manchester for postgrad just so I could come back home for home comforts but I really don't think I could cope. And, well, I can't apply for PhDs anyway given the high chance of getting a 2:2 and I don't want to do a second masters ideally, so postgrad's out of the question. Apparently the group I'm joining for my project is affiliated to a company near Stockton so I'll probably apply there if my supervisors agree that there's not much point applying for PhDs.
Reply 4590
Eh, it's not so bad, means I get 75% of a module out of the way early (damn 25% exam, grrr) and a good excuse to come back early. Only annoying thing about it is having to find alternative accomodation for those few weeks given I'm going back into college, but luckily I know people living out so it should be fine! At least it's not in the couple of weeks after exams which apparently it will be from next year...

Really getting fed up of home myself, it's been 10 weeks and my mother is driving me mad. I was considering applying to Manchester for postgrad just so I could come back home for home comforts but I really don't think I could cope. And, well, I can't apply for PhDs anyway given the high chance of getting a 2:2 and I don't want to do a second masters ideally, so postgrad's out of the question. Apparently the group I'm joining for my project is affiliated to a company near Stockton so I'll probably apply there if my supervisors agree that there's not much point applying for PhDs.

Woah, that must be cool, not having to worry too much about the exam.

Getting a job is definitely good if you can't get a PhD, I guess if you get a job, they might even sponsor you for more education if you're lucky/it helps with your job. I'm just guessing, of course, but I don't see why not.
Original post by Gilbird
Woah, that must be cool, not having to worry too much about the exam.

Getting a job is definitely good if you can't get a PhD, I guess if you get a job, they might even sponsor you for more education if you're lucky/it helps with your job. I'm just guessing, of course, but I don't see why not.

Yeah, I'm glad I only have that 25% exam (which was new for that module this year, grrrr) and one taught module...it's exams I fall down on generally even when I put a lot of effort in. Coursework I would say generally goes better, except some of my marks last year were a bit terrible :/. Hopefully I'll be able to get really into my project and get a first in it, the open book exams for research skills hopefully won't be too bad (but wouldn't put it past the chemistry department to make them damn evil) and the rest of biomolecular analysis (the workshop module) should be fine...so I guess there's a slight chance I *could* end up with a 2:1 overall, but it's unlikely. And even if I do get one in the end there's no way I'd be predicted one so there's no point applying for PhDs.

To be honest, in a way I blame the exams my year's had. There must be a reason why 6 of the 7 BScs that did 3 or more of the same modules as me (across both departments, not counting straight chemists/biologists) this year got 2:2s...I kinda wish I'd done the BSc, chosen nicer modules and then done a separate masters but hey ho, it's a bit late for regrets now! Seriously, look at the 2011 Ring Chem/Core 2 papers and compare it to previous years, same with this year's Advanced Organic...
Reply 4592
Yeah, I'm glad I only have that 25% exam (which was new for that module this year, grrrr) and one taught module...it's exams I fall down on generally even when I put a lot of effort in. Coursework I would say generally goes better, except some of my marks last year were a bit terrible :/. Hopefully I'll be able to get really into my project and get a first in it, the open book exams for research skills hopefully won't be too bad (but wouldn't put it past the chemistry department to make them damn evil) and the rest of biomolecular analysis (the workshop module) should be fine...so I guess there's a slight chance I *could* end up with a 2:1 overall, but it's unlikely. And even if I do get one in the end there's no way I'd be predicted one so there's no point applying for PhDs.

To be honest, in a way I blame the exams my year's had. There must be a reason why 6 of the 7 BScs that did 3 or more of the same modules as me (across both departments, not counting straight chemists/biologists) this year got 2:2s...I kinda wish I'd done the BSc, chosen nicer modules and then done a separate masters but hey ho, it's a bit late for regrets now! Seriously, look at the 2011 Ring Chem/Core 2 papers and compare it to previous years, same with this year's Advanced Organic...

Do check out the Core 1B paper, the matricies bit especially. Then die from the complicatedness. I blame it for my 2:2
And MBL, I had no idea how did I scraped it, cause I thought I'd do better than that, the questions seemed ok :/

What I'm worried about is what to do with postgrad. I'm international, so where would I get funding? My postgrad mates seemed to be like, oh no, no one's going to give you funding here, look out for things back home.
Anyone have any idea about it?
I wanted to buy a Bruce Lee tracksuit, but now I can't remember why.
Original post by Gilbird

What I'm worried about is what to do with postgrad. I'm international, so where would I get funding? My postgrad mates seemed to be like, oh no, no one's going to give you funding here, look out for things back home.
Anyone have any idea about it?

The Grumpy Old Graduate Society, GOGSoc, and the Postgraduate forum itself is the best place to ask. Also see Prospect's feature

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/features_funding_for_international_students.htm

(There will be others around on the Internet, as good or better, so just search around).

Do you want to do a taught or research course?

There are also charities and trusts who will offer (very small) amounts of funding to students from particular countries.
Reply 4595
Original post by River85
The Grumpy Old Graduate Society, GOGSoc, and the Postgraduate forum itself is the best place to ask. Also see Prospect's feature

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/features_funding_for_international_students.htm

(There will be others around on the Internet, as good or better, so just search around).

Do you want to do a taught or research course?

There are also charities and trusts who will offer (very small) amounts of funding to students from particular countries.

To be honest, I'm only starting 2/4 years so I probably still don't have much of a clue about what's going to happen. I might ask my advisor and see what he has to say.

What's the difference between taught and research postgrads?
Original post by Gilbird

What's the difference between taught and research postgrads?

Broadly speaking, taught posrgraduate degrees involve taught courses (akin to undergradaute degrees) during the academic year, with a dissertation/thesis over the summer. Research postgraduates don't rally take many, or any, taught modules (akin to what they did at undergraduate). The majority of their time is spent producing a substantial piece of original research.

A taught course is usually something like an MA or MSc. A research course is something like an MPhil or PhD. You can have research based MA or MSc's, however, where they'll be called (MA by research).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4597
Oh ok, I guess I might head for research direction, cause I'd love to have Dr. as part of my title *internet cookie as to guessing why*

Anyway, I'm getting kids! Finding my kid on facebook is harder than I think, the name's different from the spreadsheet, and I don't know anything about his subject (biomed science, help) cause I'm a chemist :P
Hope nobody's been flooded out, in Durham or elsewhere! Anyone got any photos from this morning? Watching floods happen is oddly compelling :colondollar: I'm still at home though, no flooding here.
Original post by Renacata
Hope nobody's been flooded out, in Durham or elsewhere! Anyone got any photos from this morning? Watching floods happen is oddly compelling :colondollar: I'm still at home though, no flooding here.

Flooding? :s-smilie: I live on top of a hill in the middle of the country, so I tend to be pretty oblivious.

Quick Reply

Latest