The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awoodrow2
Flooding? :s-smilie: I live on top of a hill in the middle of the country, so I tend to be pretty oblivious.

Durham this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402091063189442&set=a.153878274677390.38534.119537911444760&type=3&theater

The north's been really bad, but there are quite a few flood warnings in the south as well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19710183
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19717539

I live on top of a hill in the Midlands too, and we've just had really heavy rain for two days straight - not much flooding locally though as far as I know.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Renacata
Durham this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402091063189442&set=a.153878274677390.38534.119537911444760&type=3&theater

The north's been really bad, but there are quite a few flood warnings in the south as well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19710183
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19717539

I live on top of a hill in the Midlands too, and we've just had really heavy rain for two days straight - not much flooding locally though as far as I know.

Yeahh, after I replied I checked Facebook, so saw a lot of people talking about this. Apparently Durham University issued some kind of evacuation notice to staff - essentially saying not to get out, and not to try to come back in until it's cleared up.

Let's hope it's died down by the weekend...
Yeahh, after I replied I checked Facebook, so saw a lot of people talking about this. Apparently Durham University issued some kind of evacuation notice to staff - essentially saying not to get out, and not to try to come back in until it's cleared up.

Let's hope it's died down by the weekend...

wow, what?! Which bits of the university are affected - Elvet Riverside? One of the blocks at Mildert flooded a couple of times in my first year... Hatfield I can imagine being a bit damp too. That could be a fun freshers' week.

The good news is that the storm's going to move on tonight and tomorrow, and I seem to remember the water going down reasonably fast in June... so hopefully we'll all be able to get there safely! That part of the river seems prone to flooding, probably because it's all concrete around there...
wow, what?! Which bits of the university are affected - Elvet Riverside? One of the blocks at Mildert flooded a couple of times in my first year... Hatfield I can imagine being a bit damp too. That could be a fun freshers' week.

The good news is that the storm's going to move on tonight and tomorrow, and I seem to remember the water going down reasonably fast in June... so hopefully we'll all be able to get there safely! That part of the river seems prone to flooding, probably because it's all concrete around there...

I don't know whether any parts of the university are affected - I think it's just the transport issues that prompted that, like when the snow comes down.
Yeah, it's awful here at the moment. I've been walking from Gilesgate over to the Science Site every day recently and today the river had burst the banks and was flowing faster than I've ever seen it and people were turning up an hour late for the course I'm doing due to roads being closed and general traffic (the road outside maiden castle was a foot under water apparently). A friend who was arriving in Durham today got in 2 1/2 hours later than expected due to the weather too, having been stuck in York for ages, it's been chaos.

And then I talk to my dad on the phone when he's just got back from a few days in France only to hear he spent lunchtime in a cafe in Nice in the sun :frown: Just a little jealous there...
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello everyone :smile:

hearing all the chaos, i'm wondering what the arrangements will be for all us freshers moving in on sunday? is it going to be a nightmare? some of the roads have been closed, does anyone know of any news?
Original post by canŵio

hearing all the chaos, i'm wondering what the arrangements will be for all us freshers moving in on sunday? is it going to be a nightmare? some of the roads have been closed, does anyone know of any news?

I believe the roads are generally fine now, according to people who have arrived recently. The actual city may be chaotic but that's expected anyway. Which college are you going to? If a hill college it's easy enough to avoid the city centre by coming off the A1(M) (assuming you'd be coming that way...) at the south end of the city (J61) rather than the north (J62)

In other news, got 15% of a module out of the way this morning in the form of a group presentation and apparently we got 74%...maybe this year will turn out well afterall!
Original post by canŵio

It's gonna be a bit chaotic, but not a nightmare - if you're getting a lift up, just make sure you get the car out of the way as soon as possible, so other people can get in. It's likely to be really hectic inside the college itself as you pick up keys, meal card, library card, unpack, and all that kind of thing.
Back in college...it's a bit of a weird feeling...I like my room though, only slight annoyance is the desk lamp being fixed in a slightly awkward position, but it could be worse, just it would be better a couple of inches further back.
Original post by purple-girl
Back in college...it's a bit of a weird feeling...I like my room though, only slight annoyance is the desk lamp being fixed in a slightly awkward position, but it could be worse, just it would be better a couple of inches further back.

Saaaame! (Minus the desk lamp, because I don't have one.) Yay ensuite! And fridge in my room! And no washing up! (Except when I bake stuff, which is worth it.)
Saaaame! (Minus the desk lamp, because I don't have one.) Yay ensuite! And fridge in my room! And no washing up! (Except when I bake stuff, which is worth it.)

I looooove my ensuite! It's tiny but it's all mine :biggrin: When I had one in my second year house I had to share the shower with the others on my floor which got annoying at times, but hey!

No washing up is definitely an advantage! I kinda like cooking though and got used to it over the past 2 years so it's odd being back to the college standards of too many carbs and not enough veg...I effectively just had chicken nuggets, chips and chocolate cake for tea tonight...and the veggies had to have gnocci with chips/rice...carbalicious!
Original post by purple-girl

Wait, you have a fixed desk lamp?
Wait, you have a fixed desk lamp?

Yeah...come and see for yourself...
Reply 4613
Is it just me or does the Durham network only work on a handful of sites? Can't do my research like this. For instance facebook works without a problem, studentroom even works but google maps never works. Google caches also don't work. Also just got a Raspberry Pi just out of curiosity and can't get anywhere with it because the Raspberry Pi Forums don't work.

Also tried hooking it up to the uni network... can't register it though since it insists on me downloading a mac version of Bradford Dissolvable Agent. Anyone know if there is a version of this that could work on the RPi?

I know this isn't the thread for this but that's just a secondary concern. The main thing is why is the uni network being so selective? Maybe it's just my macbook or maybe it's just Hild Bede (Perhaps it's just my house on HB grounds)
Original post by njff15
Is it just me or does the Durham network only work on a handful of sites? Can't do my research like this. For instance facebook works without a problem, studentroom even works but google maps never works. Google caches also don't work. Also just got a Raspberry Pi just out of curiosity and can't get anywhere with it because the Raspberry Pi Forums don't work.

Also tried hooking it up to the uni network... can't register it though since it insists on me downloading a mac version of Bradford Dissolvable Agent. Anyone know if there is a version of this that could work on the RPi?

I know this isn't the thread for this but that's just a secondary concern. The main thing is why is the uni network being so selective? Maybe it's just my macbook or maybe it's just Hild Bede (Perhaps it's just my house on HB grounds)

Definitely a problem somewhere on your end - I've had Facebook working weirdly slowly recently, but never had a problem accessing anything, and Google Maps has worked fine. :s-smilie:

And kinda doubtful that any Bradford version would work on the RPi since CIS is only set up to deal with particular things. :frown:
Reply 4615
I should have checked with my housemates before but no one was in this morning when I asked. It is confirmed that it's my macbook playing up. I tried google chrome instead and nothing works at all!

Such a mystery. I'll ask in more relevant threads. Thanks for checking for me :smile:

***EDIT*** Started with the obvious, disabled antivirus and voila... damn Avast! Problem is I can't find the same problem anywhere on the web. Need to work out how to add exceptions since I'm new to Avast. But problem is temporarily fixed. Thanks guys ***

***EDIT2*** If anyone else runs into this problem on the Durham network (since it utilizes IPv6), go into the advance properties and uncheck "enable IPv6". That worked for me even though Web shield remains enabled. Maybe I'm not as protected now? But at least I have located the problem.***

Definitely a problem somewhere on your end - I've had Facebook working weirdly slowly recently, but never had a problem accessing anything, and Google Maps has worked fine. :s-smilie:

And kinda doubtful that any Bradford version would work on the RPi since CIS is only set up to deal with particular things. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending