Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham General Chat: The rest got ate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
meowmeowmutiny
I have the DIY ability of a jar of coffee so all it is is realising that my computer is heading towards an exploding battery, turning off all the graphics intensive programs and holding refridgerated bottles of whiskey against it to absorb the heat ><

The spider who lives above my window is awesome, but my camera can't focus on such a small object (and it's quite a big spider now :/). It's very saddening.

As a physicist that is the best solution you could come up with? :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Mithra
As a physicist that is the best solution you could come up with? :p:

I don't really have much to work with here : /

All I have is a bottle and hip flask of whiskey, two nearly empty bottles of cognac and a few books. I mean, currently I have it propped up on two books so that air can flow underneath in the middle but there's not much else I can do.
Reply 62
Yeah I guess any method I can think of would involve buying stuff :beard:.
Reply 63
Junior apprentice made me feel sad inside.
Mithra
Yeah I guess any method I can think of would involve buying stuff :beard:.

To be honest the plan is to just buy a screwdriver set, clean off the dust on the heatsink and fix whatever is making the fan so loud and ineffective.

Perhaps over the summer, once I've learned how to bay park, I'll go off to B&Q and buy some powertools, acrylic, fans, wire and lights and set about making a cooling system that glows in the dark in pretty colours.

Alternatively I might try and make a liquid based system, but that can probably wait until this isn't my only decent computer. My poor desktop is still running on a version of XP which was upgraded from a version of windows 98 and has not been clean installed since 1998. It did get directly copied over from harddrive to another though ><

EDIT: *Doesn't know what the apprentice is*
Hi, does anyone do Combined Honours here? I really need to speak to someone about it as I am applying for a transfer to this course.
Reply 66
meowmeowmutiny

EDIT: *Doesn't know what the apprentice is*

You what.
Reply 67
chidona
Junior apprentice made me feel sad inside.

Yup. Is this all they have to offer this year?? Won't there be an adult one?

I'm slightly (read: very) pissed off. Especially as they delayed the Apprentice "due to the elections" and now all we get is spotty teens?

FAIL.
chidona
You what.

I've never watched TV much.
Reply 69
I just did my first external conference, it was pretty chill.
Reply 70
There's some kind of mini Hare Krishna parade going down Saddler Street.... the leader appears to be wearing some kind of elaborate radio mic despite there only being 6 of them and no crowds....
Hmm. We're planning a mini-cruise/holiday in Amsterdam. They want to go clubbing at night :nooo:
Apparently there'll be a normal series later in the year, but bear in mind he's had other priorities being in the House of Lords nowadays...

It just annoys me how stuck up all the kids are. 9A*/1.5A isn't exactly anything special, plenty of people get that (not that I'm trying to put the kid down) it's hardly 16A* and an A in A-level maths at age 7 or something. Admittedly better than my results but only cos he did 1 more GCSE than me, before anyone says anything. Plus the guy that's had his own business since 12 and thinks he'll be more successful than Alan Sugar within 5 years, wtf, so glad he got fired. Plus lipstick girl, gah.
Reply 73
Better than doing it in the day.
Reply 74
meowmeowmutiny
Hmm. We're planning a mini-cruise/holiday in Amsterdam. They want to go clubbing at night :nooo:

I went on a mini-cruise to Amsterdam last year. Where are you sailing from?
Reply 75
purple-girl
Apparently there'll be a normal series later in the year, but bear in mind he's had other priorities being in the House of Lords nowadays...

It just annoys me how stuck up all the kids are. 9A*/1.5A isn't exactly anything special, plenty of people get that (not that I'm trying to put the kid down) it's hardly 16A* and an A in A-level maths at age 7 or something. Admittedly better than my results but only cos he did 1 more GCSE than me, before anyone says anything. Plus the guy that's had his own business since 12 and thinks he'll be more successful than Alan Sugar within 5 years, wtf, so glad he got fired. Plus lipstick girl, gah.

How does a child legally trade at 12?
Tufts
I went on a mini-cruise to Amsterdam last year. Where are you sailing from?

Newcastle I think? Will check with parents then book methinks.

Begin operation persuade them to go to a jazz club instead of a clubbing club :h:
Reply 78
I ******* hate jazz.
Reply 79
dobbs
People keep telling me doing a PGCE isn't like being at Uni and it's "like having a job only worse" but these people are people who haven't actually had a job after uni.

Until you know how depressing it is to be stuck in an office doing a job you really don't like with people you don't get on with, you can't compare.

I know I'm going to find the PGCE very difficult, probably more than I'm expecting, but the fact that for the first time in 3 years my life is going to be going in the direction I want it to go and I'm doing something I enjoy, whether it requires a lot of hard work or not, I know I'm going to be in a better state of mind than I am now.

Plus, if I get a student card and the chance to buy a University of Bristol hoodie, and do some rowing on the weekends for the university rowing club, and maybe now and then go for a drink in the union, I'll be enjoying student life again :wink:

Rargh rargh rant rant :p:

Basically "stuck in an office doing a job you really don't like with people you don't get on with, you can't compare" was how I felt last year, apart from the office bit. Weirdly I work with the same people this year and I really, really like them all now.
The student card/rowing thing is true and I guess you'll be moving away from home again which is the same as being a student.

Oh god, I'm so glad I never have to go through my training year again though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending