The Student Room Group

Had the 'baby' talk with your bf/gf?

Anon or delete please.

My girlfriend (been together for 13 months) has lately started to show interests in babies/family saying how she would like all that with me and even though she knows it isn't going to happen in the more immediate future she still talks about it to me. I always thought if a girl ever said that to me at this age I would run for the hills but surprisingly I actually loved it. Not because I want a baby/family (not really into that stuff - yet) but because it shows that she's seriously committed and chose me to have all that with so I guess that makes it special.

There isnt any pressure from her side, she herself says she wants to concentrate on her education/career etc. and have all that in her late 20's (she's 18 now) so it's purely theoretical and there's no real life practicality to her wishes. The problem is I just casually told my friends about it (thinking I'd show off how great my relationship is) but instead they all said I should be worried and that it isn't cool..and that if they had the 'baby' talk from their girlfriends they wouldn't like it at all :confused:

Is this how YOU would feel? have you had the 'baby' talk yet or has there been small subtle hints of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tell him to calm the **** down! JHEEZ
Reply 2
i'd still say run. well not run. but be careful. my girlfriend still tries to get me to talk about stuff like that. i don't really think you should talk about it all that often until you're there. i mean its good to know where you stand early enough on but i just find it weird talking abou it all the time.
Reply 3
They may not be in stable or committed relationships or simply aren't feeling the same way as you are with your gf. Everyone's different, I've never had a serious baby talk and whenever boyfriends joke about marriage, I do get frightened and change the subject. I don't like pressure and deadlines.
It just means the one time you sling one up there without protection, and it sticks, she is unlikely to kill the damned thing.
Just check the condoms for any holes
I kinda had this, but only cos my boyfriend asked me what I would do if the pregnancy situation arose for whatever reason. I told him that I would almost definitely have an abortion at this age, seeing as I have college work to deal with and I'm just not ready for a sprog at this ages, and tbh, I think he was relieved :smile:
Make sure she realises that although you may be agreeing with her for the future, you are not agreeing to anything in the short term.

I had the baby talk with my Ex Gf, it went somthing like "If you get pregnent, your dad is going to kill me, so dont be suprised if I have left for mexico"
Reply 8
i chat about stuff like this with my boyfriend all the time. :/ from about 8/9 months in it's been 'oh, when we get married..' 'when we have kids..'
it's not going to happen for a long time, but i like that both of us are secure enough in our relationship to talk about it, :smile:
i wouldn't panic just yet, not all girls are psychotic baby wanting machines!
Reply 9
Are of similar age and had our 13 month last week and have been talking about baby names and what we will call them and shizz!
Reply 10
Actually we had it before we became involved.

Got to make sure you both want the same things out of the arrangement.
Reply 11
Yeah it went kind of like this -
Me: If you get pregnent then i'm gonna be gone quicker than an alter boy's innocense at a catholic church
Her: Oh ok...
Me: Now go make me a cheese toastie bitch
Me and my gf have been have been going out for two years now and we always talk about it :smile:
As it's a future i wish for, but we both know there's a lot of life to be lived before then.
Reply 13
"Will you bear my children?"
"No. I'll sire them, though."
Reply 14
We've had the abortion talk. I still don't know if I even want kids, so we definitely don't refer to 'when we'll have kids'. Although we have discussed hypothetically how frickin' brilliant our kids would be.
We've talked about it a couple of times, but we're not planning on having any ever so I guess that's different.
Reply 16
Not seriously, we haven't.

Earlier I was moaning about his eating, and his future kids, as in, he wouldn't eat vegetables so his kids wouldn't want them (made it careful to say his kids and not our kids) -- he was saying he'd tell them they won't play games if they don't eat them, haha. xD

We've had the "abortion talk" too. He said he'd help me through it etc. I hypothetically asked if I were to want to keep it, and he said he wouldn't help, haha! xD

But yeah. We're both still young, and have only been together for a year and 4 months so I wouldn't expect a serious conversation between us about children and that. (:
Reply 17
We had the "what would you do if you got pregnant" talk before we started sleeping together.
I've been with my boyfriend 4 years and we talk about marriage and kids often - I would not do it now, but it's nice to know that he's that committed and the relationship is going to go somewhere :] I wouldn't worry about your friends - they clearly aren't in a stable relationship therefore it would scare them!
Reply 19
We jokingly talk about what we're going to call our kids, what they'll look like (whose nose is better to inherit) yadda yadda yadda.
We both know that we want kids in the future, but when we talk about it, it's not like it's serious in regards to us having children together... I don't know if I'm making any sense.

Like, when we say we want kids in the future it's serious, but then discussing baby names and further is kinda jokey.

Latest

Trending

Trending