The Student Room Group

Interview for Medicine.

Hi Guys, I'm 29, currently studying a entry level course in Biological Sciences, have just been notified that I have an interview to attend at University College Dublin (UCD) for mature entry in to medicine.

Two things - It's on Tuesday week, 25th May, and It's right in the middle of my exams so doesn't give me much time to prepare.

So basically I wanted to ask if anyone had advice on what topics I should brush up on, i.e. is it best to know the format of the Degree at UCD, or current practices / Debate within the health service.....

anyone gone through an interview recently, i'm not looking for specifics, just a general idea?

Thanks people
Reply 1
northernpower
Hi Guys, I'm 29, currently studying a entry level course in Biological Sciences, have just been notified that I have an interview to attend at University College Dublin (UCD) for mature entry in to medicine.

Two things - It's on Tuesday week, 25th May, and It's right in the middle of my exams so doesn't give me much time to prepare.

So basically I wanted to ask if anyone had advice on what topics I should brush up on, i.e. is it best to know the format of the Degree at UCD, or current practices / Debate within the health service.....

anyone gone through an interview recently, i'm not looking for specifics, just a general idea?

Thanks people

Firstly try and ignore the ubiquitous flamers who'll say "FIND IT YOURSELF!!!!!1!!!"

Basically, you want the course format, current news, why you want to be a dr etc as you said. They might have something different for graduates e.g. why now?. All the stuff in the wiki on medical school interviews are good btw
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview etc
Reply 2
ALways nice to know a bit about the uni and why you chose it over others, I was asked specifically "why Sheffield" in my interview. Current medical news is always good, I know people who've been asked to talk about something that had recently happened. Also brush up on anything you've mentioned in your PS, so if you've said you've read a book, review what it was about etc.
Reply 3
Thanks for the response guys, along the lines of what I was thinking, i.e. course content, common practices etc...

Much appreciated.
Reply 4
northernpower
Thanks for the response guys, along the lines of what I was thinking, i.e. course content, common practices etc...

Much appreciated.

Np :P Surprised there aren't flamers. Maybe its too late in the admissions cycle for them to be around still.

Good luck!
Make sure you refresh yourself about what you saw in your work ex, how it made you feel, things you liked, things you didn't, example of an individual patient you spent some time with, how it felt like watching the multi-disciplinary team at work (key buzzword there), examples of how you've worked well in a team, a difficult decision you've made, what you do to relieve stress, maybe a piece of research you're interested in (hint hint, that is connected to work that that uni has done and so you might like to help them do some research on it because they are awfully clever and interesting people?! :p: ) Slight disclaimer that I've never looked at Irish med schools so I have no idea on the interview format, but these are standard panel interview questions (Check it is a standard panel and not a multi mini like Notts and St George, or a task based one like Warwick). New Media Medicine is another forum like this but just for med students and Dr's. There'll be a subforum there for this un and lots of other people stressing about the interview (over the last few years so you can look back and see what has come up) that you might find useful. Good luck!
Chivalry
Np :P Surprised there aren't flamers. Maybe its too late in the admissions cycle for them to be around still.

Good luck!

No, no! We're alive and kicking :biggrin:
Reply 7

Know your application/statement inside out. You should be prepared to answer a question on anything you've written about yourself, so have a look at your application and think of what they could ask you. :smile:

And yeah, what the others have said... why medicine, why UCD (course etc), why now, current medical news etc.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Just brush up on general interview ettiquetes, and perhaps have a mock interview with a doctor that you know.

Latest

Trending

Trending